PDA

View Full Version : new guy question

mccord
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
hey im new to the forums. im gettin ready to get a porter cable 7424 with xmt polish starter kit. will i be able to remove heavy swirls with this buffer? some people say i can others say i cant. wat do u guys think?

dmatre
12-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I`ve not yet met a swirl that I couldn`t get rid of with the PC - although it will take a lot longer to do so.

You`ll probably need to go to a more aggressive polish using the PC compared to a rotary, but I wouldn`t shy away from the PC only for that reason.

Having said that, I did find that things got much better for me when I got away from the Griot`s Garage (specifically formulated for PC???) polishes and tried Menzerna. The difference was like night & day.

Take it slow until you get used to it, and until you know how abrasive of a polish you need, and I`m sure you`ll get the results that you want.

Legacy
12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
You need not only Menz polishes, but 5.5" and 4" pads with backing plates. The pc is to weak to spin the 6.5" pads.

Cleaning Fool
12-18-2008, 09:11 PM
And you just might need 12-14 hours of tough hard polishing to do it

mccord
12-19-2008, 07:48 AM
sweet thanks guys. il prolly pick one up after christmas time and play around with it to see wat works best for me.