PDA

View Full Version : "Protected Leather"

Less
12-17-2008, 02:33 PM
My 2006 Infinity interior is beginning to show some signs of wear. I vacuum and clean it regularly. I use Mother`s Reflections leather cleaner/conditioner whenever I clean my interior but the drivers seat is starting to show some light cracks and the kids` carseats are starting to leave imprints in the leather.

It`s not terrible, but I`m figuring that it will be better to stay ahead of it rather than let it become a major problem a few years from now.

However, I read over on g35driver.com that Infinity leather comes from the factory treated with some kind of `protection` and that will not allow a leather conditioner to penetrate and do its job.

This may not be an infinity-specific problem. I`m just asking if there is such a thing as `protected leather`? Also, how long does the protection last? And finally, does it really impair the ability of a leather conditioner to do its job?

I`ve been looking into Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean and this definitely sounds like something I want to try. But before I spend the $$$, can anyone else confirm this `protected leather` story?

OCKlasse
12-17-2008, 03:02 PM
My 2006 Infinity interior is beginning to show some signs of wear. I vacuum and clean it regularly. I use Mother`s Reflections leather cleaner/conditioner whenever I clean my interior but the drivers seat is starting to show some light cracks and the kids` carseats are starting to leave imprints in the leather.

It`s not terrible, but I`m figuring that it will be better to stay ahead of it rather than let it become a major problem a few years from now.

However, I read over on g35driver.com that Infinity leather comes from the factory treated with some kind of `protection` and that will not allow a leather conditioner to penetrate and do its job.

This may not be an infinity-specific problem. I`m just asking if there is such a thing as `protected leather`? Also, how long does the protection last? And finally, does it really impair the ability of a leather conditioner to do its job?

I`ve been looking into Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean and this definitely sounds like something I want to try. But before I spend the $$$, can anyone else confirm this `protected leather` story?

Protected leather is the same as coated leather, which I have on my Mercedes. Few cars today come with uncoated leather so to speak, and tend to be very high end cars.

Don`t waste your money on Leatherique, it won`t do anything for your car, and in fact might be detrimental to your seats. Stick to a good cleaner like the Chemical Guys leather cleaner with a leather brush, and follow with a UV protectant such as Finish Kare 108.

Coated leather seats don`t need conditioning, but do need protection.

Less
12-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Coated leather seats don`t need conditioning, but do need protection.

Can you elaborate? I would think it would be the other way around. What does the coating do then if it doesn`t protect?

mblgjr
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Can you elaborate? I would think it would be the other way around. What does the coating do then if it doesn`t protect?

The coating is just like "paint" in essence. It (the color coat) doesn`t do anything but sit there on top of the leather material basically.

I`ve used Leatherique on Ford`s coated leather before and it LOVED the stuff. Definitely softened them up.

I`ve also used products like Optimum Protectant Plus/Leather Protectant and it seems do do ok as far as keeping the seats from drying out if used consistently; but doesn`t do anything to help keep it soft/supple and truly clean.

For me (based on Ford coated leather) the Leatherique wins.

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - Free Shipping | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=4558&url=detailedimage.com/Leatherique-M8/Rejuvenator-Oil-P65/)

Leatherique Prestine Clean - Free Shipping | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=4558&url=detailedimage.com/Leatherique-M8/Prestine-Clean-P64/)

Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus - Free Shipping | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=4558&url=detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Protectant-Plus-P281/)

The Opt. Prot. also works great on hard plastics (dash and door panels).

Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus - Free Shipping | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=4558&url=detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Protectant-Plus-P281/)

brwill2005
12-17-2008, 04:12 PM
As already stated the leather is coated. The most important thing is cleaning on a regular basis with a mild detergent, which it sounds like you do. Soils are acidic, and that combined with abrasion and UV, is what damages the coating. I would simply use a water based UV protectant like 303. That will give the leather some UV protection and help to repel soils. I have used Leatherique, but feel it is best suited for un-coated leather. It is also a bit overpriced.

Bunky
12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
If you listen to the encyclopdia man and others nothing will work on protected leather except water and an expensive brand product so why waste your money on expensive products. If truly they are not maintainable just use a protectant and keep them clean.

imported_Conan777
12-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Check this link. It answers all the questions you have asked and then some. Good luck and let us know what you decide to use and how happy you are with the results...

Basic Automotive Leather Care - DetailingWiki (http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?title=Basic_Automotive_Leather_Care)

wannafbody
12-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Mothers makes pretty good stuff. I`d suggest a seperate cleaner.

Less
12-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Let me get this straight - "Coated/Protected" leather contains a polyurethane coating that will NOT allow conventional leather conditioning creams to penetrate. Therefore something like Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is worthless.

All I need is a cleaner, and a protectant. Basically treat it like vinyl. So I would be much better off with a normal interior protectant.

Right?

Bunky
12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Check this link. It answers all the questions you have asked and then some. Good luck and let us know what you decide to use and how happy you are with the results...

Basic Automotive Leather Care - DetailingWiki (http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?title=Basic_Automotive_Leather_Care)

There is a lot of information but not all should be considered universal accepted fact. For example, many auto leather manufacturers recommend using woolite to clean protected leather. They are not saying immerse your seats in it so use common sense with any product.

jfelbab
12-18-2008, 09:14 AM
I do a major clean and protect of my leather quarterly. In addition, I clean up any dirt or soils asap. I vacuum and wipe with a damp MF every week or two and follow up with a Quik Interior Detailer wipe to provide UVA & UVB protection.

For the cleaning I use Leather Masters Soft Cleaner for Leather. I wipe down the leather with a MF dampened in water after cleaning to be sure to remove all traces of the cleaning detergents and buff dry with another MF towel. Use of too much water can cause leather to dry and harden so be sure to use only a damp towel and buff dry. Don`t let water linger on the leather. After the buffing I let the leather dry and then I protect the leathers with Leather Masters Protection Cream.

Both of the LM products (cleaner and protectant) are water based, BTW. They have proven to me that they clearly perform well over time. My auto leathers are 5 and 18 years old respectively and they show no signs of wear or cracking. They look like new and are soft and supple.

I purchased some high end leather furniture years back that came with lifetime refills of the Leather Masters products so basically I get free refills forever. :) The LM products works great IMO.