PDA

View Full Version : Fix a rock chip... or not?

flh3
12-17-2008, 01:00 PM
About 3 months ago I got a rock chip on the passenger side door, about waist high. It`s a black truck, the chip is gray. I just got back in town and was planning to fix it after cleaning the truck but I`m not so sure I should attempt it. It`s not that bad and I could definitely make it more visible/worse.

The chip is really just a speck, probably the size of the tip of a pen (I`m obsessive)... is this a cause for concern, rust, etc? I was thinking of having it taken care of by an auto body shop or a detailer, if they can, but that might not be until 6 - 12 months from now. Is it ok to wait that long, is there something I should do in the mean time? thanks

Imatk
12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
If it`s that small I think you can handle it. If you try to touch it up and it looks worse, you can literally wipe away the paint and start again.

It takes a good day for the paint to fully cure. So don`t be nervous about it.

Sounds like it didn`t go past the primer so you shouldn`t have to worry about rust.

Accumulator
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah, you can probably make it a lot better with some touchup paint and a little common sense. There are some good threads here where we`ve discussed how to DIY in detail.

And a pro can always wipe off your touchup if/when you want to get it professionally done at a later date.

Or...just wax/seal over it and don`t let it bother you. I`ve had a lot of chips that I never touched up, and as long as you keep things well-maintained it`s usually just not a problem.