PDA

View Full Version : Leather stained by Leather

Pages : [1] 2

travelinclass
12-12-2008, 07:04 AM
I have an ‘08 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the Camel leather seats. I noticed my black leather belt was leaving a dark discolored area on the seat back. I immediately removed the belt, now I can`t remove the discoloration. The Owner`s Manual says my leather seating surfaces have a clear, protective coating over the leather. They say not to use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl and plastics, or oil/petroleum-based leather conditioners because these products may cause premature wearing of the clear, protective coating. Ford recommends Motorcraft Deluxe Leather and Vinyl Cleaner (ZC-11-A).

I`ve tried soap and water, Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer Wipes (stopped when I read they contain Isopropyl Alcohol), and LEXOL-pH. None of that would touch the discoloration. I`ve ordered and will try the Motorcraft Deluxe Leather and Vinyl Cleaner, but wondered if anyone else has already seen this problem and had success with restoring the seat to original.

Or could this be a warranty issue?

mblgjr
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I`ve had SEVERAL Ford trucks do this.

Other than wearing my shirttail out I`ve never found a great solution. I can tell you with time products like Tanner`s Preserve and Poorboy`s Leather Stuff seem to help aid the `belt stain` go away over time.

I`ve also used Kiwi Saddle Soap in the past; but don`t really suggest it for coated leathers.

I recently used Leatherique and it worked REALLY well on the Ford coated leather (both rej. oil and p.c.). Not sure what it would do in this situation though.

jimmybuffit
12-13-2008, 08:30 AM
It is an almost impossible situation.

Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (with small amount of the Lexol).

Quality Leather
12-19-2008, 09:07 PM
You might try some diluted alcohol, but the stain may not come out.

mikeross
10-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Guess what that happened to me before. Back then I did not know much about the different parts of a car (http://www.car-stuff.com/carlinks/parts.htm) and how to handle stains over the leather seats. I thought alcohol would do the trick but geesh it was such a mess. The discoloration got worse. That was a really sad moment.

Quality Leather
10-22-2009, 12:06 PM
That is why I said it may not come out. Your only other alternative is to refinish the leather.

cartoysautospa
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Zep upholstery wipes will take most of the residue off, but you have to wipe it gently as you could take some or all of the dye off the seat. what has happened is the belt has redyed the leather.

for a full restore, you will need to re spray the seat to be flawless

mikeross
04-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Guess what that happened to me before. Back then I did not know much about the different car parts and how to handle stains over the leather seats and seat belt (http://www.car-stuff.com/seatbelt.htm). I thought alcohol would do the trick but geesh it was such a mess. The discoloration got worse. That was a really sad moment.

Roger Koh
05-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I have an ‘08 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the Camel leather seats. I noticed my black leather belt was leaving a dark discolored area on the seat back. I immediately removed the belt, now I can`t remove the discoloration. The Owner`s Manual says my leather seating surfaces have a clear, protective coating over the leather. They say not to use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl and plastics, or oil/petroleum-based leather conditioners because these products may cause premature wearing of the clear, protective coating. Ford recommends Motorcraft Deluxe Leather and Vinyl Cleaner (ZC-11-A).

I`ve tried soap and water, Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer Wipes (stopped when I read they contain Isopropyl Alcohol), and LEXOL-pH. None of that would touch the discoloration. I`ve ordered and will try the Motorcraft Deluxe Leather and Vinyl Cleaner, but wondered if anyone else has already seen this problem and had success with restoring the seat to original.

Or could this be a warranty issue?

===

Tips to your problem is to try out some "Leather Prep".

Those that are safe on the finish.

These Prep works by chemical action of Penetrating, Lubricating and Suspending the stain without any damages to the finish.

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

tomahawk275
05-20-2010, 06:00 AM
i think the more chemical you put on the leather, it would become worse. go to the experts regarding your leather concern so that they could help you out. i believe they would do the cleaning for you plus you could blame them if they can`t clean it.

Greg Nichols
06-12-2010, 10:15 PM
===

Tips to your problem is to try out some "Leather Prep".

Those that are safe on the finish.

These Prep works by chemical action of Penetrating, Lubricating and Suspending the stain without any damages to the finish.

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

I had a red dye transfer onto off white Perf leather, Leather Prep took out about 85% of the dye! It works on dwell time, and I ran out of time to do another treatment, going back and expect to get most of all of it. I`ll be posting up a write up soon.

Cheers,

GREG

jlb85
06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Try what Ford recommends. If not, Leather Masters has a product called Strong Cleaner, and another called Ink Remover. They work great for this very purpose.

Leatherique and Lexol are not made to tackle ink or dye. Neither is APC, Alcohol, etc. If the ink/dye is in there hard, only a dedicated product will suffice.

Once done, add some protectant like Leather Master`s Protection Creme or Vital.

Greg Nichols
06-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Try what Ford recommends. If not, Leather Masters has a product called Strong Cleaner, and another called Ink Remover. They work great for this very purpose.

Leatherique and Lexol are not made to tackle ink or dye. Neither is APC, Alcohol, etc. If the ink/dye is in there hard, only a dedicated product will suffice.

Hit the nail on the head! However for deep crocking, and not just a jean transerfer the leathermaster stuff did not work at all, the strong cleaner or ink remover. they work good for jean transfer. I`m am a huge fan of leather prep, after my experience.

Cheers,

GREG

judyb
06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Dye transfer can be difficult to remove safely without damaging the finish.

The problem is that the longer the dye is left on the leather the further it will penetrate the finish on the leather so therefore the harder it becomes to remove.

Removing the problem is a staged process and starts by cleaning the leather with a foam cleaner. There are specific cleaners for this problem (LM Strong Cleaner will not be strong enough in most cases). The next stage is to use an alcohol cleaner (these are generally safe on leather and would be the main constituent of a leather prep product anyway). Once these two processes have been followed you will have removed anything that is removeable from the finish. Anything stronger than this will begin to damage the finish on the leather which would then need replacing. If you have reached this stage and no more dye can be removed then recoluring/refinishing would be the only alternative.

On a professional level we would follow these steps with Remover 1 which penetrates the finish and allows dye to be drawn out but we would not recommend these to be used by general consumers who have no knowledge of restoration processes as if finish is damaged it will need replacing.

Quality Leather
06-17-2010, 11:01 PM

Is the Ink Remover you are talking about the little chapstick product? If so, then it doesn`t work unless you use it within the first couple of minutes of the accident.

Please don`t tell me that alcohol doesn`t work, as I have been doing this for fifteen years. It is a step one takes after trying the other cleaners, but most times the dye has damaged the coating and it needs to be refinished. It really isn`t that big of a deal to refinish something like that.