PDA

View Full Version : Leave wax longer = better?

Pages : [1] 2

chromecarz00
12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Is it better to leave a wax on for as long as possible?

mblgjr
12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I`ve never found this to be true.

It allows time for contamination and usually makes the wax much harder to remove, thus making you rub too hard or use a QD to re-wet it.

JasonD
12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I usually apply it to a panel, and then almost immediately remove it. As long as it has to time to just haze over a bit, its ready to come off.

A very long time ago, someone tested both theories, either waiting a while to remove wax or remove it immediately, and it was found that they both produced the same results, but like mblgjr said, the longer you leave it on, the more opportunity it has to collect dirt and other things that can scratch the paint when you finally remove it.

NCZ13
12-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I think it depends on the product. Some products can be removed immediately, some need to dry to a haze.

imported_Detailing Technology
12-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I think it depends on the product. Some products can be removed immediately, some need to dry to a haze.

Correct. Some carnauba products need a short drying time. If you try to take the wax off before, you smear it all over the panel.

But then there are the spit-shine guys.

imported_smprince1
12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Is it better to leave a wax on for as long as possible?

For carnauba wax, I would think once the carrier solvents have evaporated and the wax has hazed there is no advantage to leaving it on "for as long as possible". In fact, the risk of contamination which could cause marring during buffing off the residue could be a disadvantage.

Certain synthetics/sealants perhaps have shown some advantage, the example I can think of is KSG. It sometimes seems easier to remove if you leave it on well past the `hazing` point.

Danspeed1
12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I just follow the directions... and so far have had perfect results. Most of the high end products have very specific directions which can be found on the tin or on their website. I like to think the manufacturer knows their product. I just used P21s last weekend... they said, spread it thin, when it "starts" to haze remove. I wiped the panel down, and then stood there waiting for it to haze. I actually watched it start to happen, so I wiped it down right away. Best results of a Nuba Yet.

Just follow the directions,

DG

chromecarz00
12-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I`ve heard that some manufacturers actually tweak their directions so that the product doesnt last as long/work perfectly, forcing the customer to take it to a professional applier and having htem do it (who incedentaly have the right directions).

Has anyone else heard of such stories?

NCZ13
12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
uh. considering theres alot of professionals on this board thats doubtful.

akimel
12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I`ve heard that some manufacturers actually tweak their directions so that the product doesnt last as long/work perfectly, forcing the customer to take it to a professional applier and having htem do it (who incedentaly have the right directions).

Has anyone else heard of such stories?

I can`t think of any quicker way for a wax maker to kill his own product!

eyezack87
12-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I would advise against letting Collinite 476 stay on the car for too long ;)

Zymol Creme/Carbon too! When it dries its a pain...

02zx9r
12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I`ve never found this to be true.

It allows time for contamination and usually makes the wax much harder to remove, thus making you rub too hard or use a QD to re-wet it.

I`ll say. As a kid growing up, I would see the knuckleheads driving around with the cars waxed for a day or so before they would take it off. Can only imagine the dirt, sand, etc... in the wax when they finally wiped it off. :nervous2:

imported_RZJZA80
12-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I`ve tried leaving it on longer, and it`s a real ***** to remove. By the time I`m done with one panel, I take my time getting my towel, whatever, and remove almost right away. As long as it doesn`t smear, you`re good.

gonz0
12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I use to hand buff in my wax (Meguiar`s Gold Class and later NXT) over the entire car and then go back to the first panel I started with and begin to wipe away. Some times I`d run out of time and have half the wax to remove still the next morning. What a NIGHTMARE to remove. It would harden and took heavy rubbing with a MF cloth to clear off the surface, which in some areas allowed for slight marring. The paint felt great but in those areas it didn`t necessarily look it.

From now on I go panel to panel, applying and then removing as I go. If it doesn`t feel good enough, I do a second coat after the wipe down.

Accumulator
12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Eh...I let `em sit for quite a while before I buff the residue off. I started doing this (even with Souveran) after Mike Phillips challenged me to try it. I do think I get slightly better durability (no, I haven`t done controlled tests), and I don`t have any problems buffing off the residue even after a few hours.

I frequently let synthetic products like KSG set up overnight before buffing them off, and once let it sit for several days- no problem. I do have a clean shop though, so dust/etc. doesn`t really factor in.

But#1, I have had *one* instance of pseudo-holograms with 476S and I dunno what caused it; I suspect that buffing it off quicker, almost a W-O-W-O method, might minimize the chances of this happening. And..

But#2, do *not* leave #16 sit for more than a few hours or it really *will* be hard to buff off. If you miss a spot and don`t buff it until after the next wash, well, you`ll remember it ;) And...

But#3, if you like what you`re doing now I wouldn`t change it based on what somebody else likes doing.