PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of IPA?

Pages : [1] 2

qbmurderer13
12-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I noticed lots of people here use IPA when polishing. What exactly is the purpose of this and when should it be used? Should the entire car be wiped down with it after a step of polish? Also what % would work best and how much would you cut it with water?

gtpaul
12-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I use 99% straight.

You use it to remove any polishing oils that may have filled in swirls and scratches.

it reveals the actual surface without any fillers.

MBurnickas
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
People like it because it`s a mild solvent, cleans w/o being harsh. I personally prefer a car wash after polishing. I also prefer using a stronger solvent most of the time for cleaning. It`s good for stripping wax and revealing surface as gt said. It makes the surface good for sealant durability. Anyhow, when you say when "should" you use it, it`s all about preference.

qbmurderer13
12-10-2008, 12:15 AM
So it would be alright to use at full strength? I plan to use it after each polishing step and right before I add my sealant.

MBurnickas
12-10-2008, 12:28 AM
I think most people use it 50/50 for that use, full strength for cleaning on tar or grime.

salty
12-10-2008, 12:53 AM
You don`t need to do it after every step unless you are running into problems with your compound and polish combination or temp etc. Sometimes paint does not react to the compound the way it should, silicone buildup etc. So first, you could try an ISO wipe to see if it helps.

ISO should be allowed to dwell for 10 or 15 seconds, as it isn`t a strong solvent, then wiped.

When you are done your final polish step and need to have a look at a clean non filling surface, do an ISO wipe or Presol. Also the wax or sealant has a better surface to bond to.

salty
12-10-2008, 12:54 AM
I don`t find ISO a very good tar remover.

KnuckleBuckett
12-10-2008, 06:21 AM
ISO is not a good tar remover.

I have tried it at 50/50 and full strength. For most uses the 50/50 is fine if you work it a bit.

Keep it off non painted and or chromed surfaces.

E300Diesel
12-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I posted a similar topic not long ago in reference to your post.

Isopropyl Alcohol | IPA solution (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/113160-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-solution.html)

jam
12-10-2008, 05:21 PM
So does the IPA work like a pure paint cleaner too? To use after claying to remove more contaminants and prep the paint?

E300Diesel
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
So does the IPA work like a pure paint cleaner too? To use after claying to remove more contaminants and prep the paint?

Main goal from what I`ve gathered is to ensure the surface is free of any contaminants or wax/sealants and or various oils and fillers from polishing compounds, etc...

MBurnickas
12-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I also prefer using a stronger solvent most of the time for cleaning.

I agree it`s not a great tar remover as I stated in my first post, however it doesn`t hurt to start with a mild cleaner like IPA before you break out the Xylene or Acetone. If it`s tar that feels oily, IPA will probably get it, but if it`s baked on don`t bother.

NO, paint cleaners are all semi abrasive. Many have very slight abrasives, but they all have some. Some "say" they have no abrasives, but I personally call those glazes as opposed to true paint cleaners.

qbmurderer13
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
So why IPA over a quick detailer?

BigJimZ28
12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
So why IPA over a quick detailer?

IPA removes oils, fillers, ect...

QD`s usually add "something"

jam
12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys.