PDA

View Full Version : Original Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax (not the 2.0 version)

Pages : [1] 2

Sir Clean
12-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I have the still un-opened NXT Tech Wax bottle stored in my storage for over 4 years. Is there a noticeable improvement from the original version to the current 2.0 version? I have a 1-year-old car with a like new paint condition (as I wash it every week and wax it with Pinnacle or PS21S often). Should I just throw away this un-used NXT bottle as it is based on the old formula?

Dsoto87
12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Why would you want to use NXT when you have pinnacle and p21s?

BigAl3
12-05-2008, 09:53 PM
use the nxt on wheels or something...

sixty7mustang22
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes, there is a significant difference. I wouldn`t even bother using the old one on your wheels.

Holden_C04
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I wouldn`t throw it out. I don`t throw out anything, particularly a detailing product. Besides, I wouldn`t be surprised if NXT was more durable than Pinnacle or P21S carnauba waxes.

BigAl3
12-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I wouldn`t throw it out. I don`t throw out anything, particularly a detailing product.

yeah, before doing that i would rather give it to my friend or neighbor LOL...

gtpaul
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Or keep it around as a fragrance. It doesn`t smell to bad..

Sir Clean
12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, there is a significant difference. I wouldn`t even bother using the old one on your wheels.

That was what I was thinking as well. In that case, I will give it to my dad for his K-car (small utilitarian vehicle marketed in Asia).

Boba7523
12-06-2008, 02:20 AM
What`s so bad about NXT? Is 2.0 better?

Setec Astronomy
12-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Or keep it around as a fragrance. It doesn`t smell to bad..

If you`re jonesing for NXT smell, get some Cascade Citrus Breeze (hat tip to Mosca for that info).

spartacus_33
12-06-2008, 07:02 AM
I still have half a bottle of the the old version. I use it on our leased car. After claying, I use it with a PC and a white pad. It does not last long, but does a good job of brightning the paint.

mblgjr
12-06-2008, 07:02 AM
What`s so bad about NXT? Is 2.0 better?

The original didn`t hold it`s shine and lacked durability. It was also a little finnicky to apply if you didn`t have patience and keep it uber thin. For me it would sometimes fog/haze when putting a new coat on over an older cured coat of itself.

1.0 lost its shine in about a week or two and was dead in 4-6 weeks.

Everyone claims 2.0 is sooo much better but I`m not willing to go shill out any more money to try it again.

1.0 does get a nod from me for containing one heck of a lot of fillers. Has nearly the same filling ability as 3M Imp. Hand Glaze. That has its own pros/cons as well.

Alfisti
12-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I have the still un-opened NXT Tech Wax bottle stored in my storage for over 4 years. Is there a noticeable improvement from the original version to the current 2.0 version? I have a 1-year-old car with a like new paint condition (as I wash it every week and wax it with Pinnacle or PS21S often). Should I just throw away this un-used NXT bottle as it is based on the old formula?

You should get atleast the same durability as Pinnacle and P21S.

V2 is said to last longer and bead better. It also hides swirls even better than v1, and v1 was no slouch.

NXTv1 was a decent LSP with many claiming poor durability (I easily get 4 months).

I wouldn`t throw it away nor give it away until you try it. Shake it VERY well for 2 mins(after 4 years it would`ve settled). You may be surprised!

The only colour I don`t use NXT on is black. As a personal preference, I find that while it darkens it nicely, it`s a bit too reflective causing it to lose some depth. On every other colour it very good. :D

imported_Bence
12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I`m still using NXT 1.0 paste and it`s one of the best looking waxes out there. My experience is similar to Paul`s, and I get easy 3 months durability.

However, the paste produces more consistent results, is not prone to smearing as sometimes the liquid. First thing is to shake the hell out of it to ensure proper mixing and an even emulsion. Smearing is usually caused by the overdeposition of higher viscosity active ingredients, because the film forming ingredients cannot spread and/or level well. This may result in a patchy, slightly oily look, which is especially noticeable on dark colors. There was a particular old batch which was smeary, but Meguiar`s usually replaced them at no extra cost.

It is important with NXT that you use very little, spread well and remove it from a panel to see how it`s performing. When there are no unpleasant surprises, no smearing, oilyness, just a bright nice finish, you can leave on the remaining wax for about an hour. (Rewax the original area...) It will come off very easily, will hide fine imperfections surprisingly well, and it willl deepen the color.

So my advice it to keep it, try it. And yes, I`ll buy the 2.0 paste as well.

Inzane
12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I wouldn`t be surprised if NXT was more durable than Pinnacle or P21S carnauba waxes.

:chuckle: The old NXT *might* be as or more durable than Souveran, but there`s no way in heck it`s even close to P21S.