PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pro`s charge?

mattgg11
12-05-2008, 04:12 PM
While I enjoy keeping my vehicles clean and well maintained, I have zero experience with polishing. Both of my vehicles have fairly light wash-induced marring that I would like to address. One is a light silver 4-door and the other is a "flint metallic" compact SUV.

If I were to wash, clay and apply the LSP, how much would you charge just for the polishing stage on one vehicle? I could provide the garage, halogens and Z-PC for the final step (if needed). I would also like to look over your shoulder to learn as much as possible during the process.

I own a UDM and set out to polish out a minor scratch, but felt like the only thing I accomplished was flinging polish everywhere, so I stopped. I should also say that I do not want to chase every defect to obtain 100% correction. These are daily drivers I plan on keeping for 8-12 years, so I don`t want to compromise the longevity of the clear coat.

howareb
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
While I enjoy keeping my vehicles clean and well maintained, I have zero experience with polishing. Both of my vehicles have fairly light wash-induced marring that I would like to address. One is a light silver 4-door and the other is a "flint metallic" compact SUV.

If I were to wash, clay and apply the LSP, how much would you charge just for the polishing stage on one vehicle? I could provide the garage, halogens and Z-PC for the final step (if needed). I would also like to look over your shoulder to learn as much as possible during the process.

I own a UDM and set out to polish out a minor scratch, but felt like the only thing I accomplished was flinging polish everywhere, so I stopped. I should also say that I do not want to chase every defect to obtain 100% correction. These are daily drivers I plan on keeping for 8-12 years, so I don`t want to compromise the longevity of the clear coat.

What area are you in?? You have many pros that may take you up on the job, but we need to know where you are located. :)

Garry Dean
12-05-2008, 08:56 PM
+1 on where are you located!

Holden_C04
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Keep in mind most professionals ignore emails where the first question is "how much?"

razr007
12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
True but most detailers are always looking for a challenge or to work on a car or truck they have not done yet

-Longhorn-
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I wont touch a car for anything under $200.

imported_themightytimmah
12-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Probably $350 for both. I figure 2.5 hours each to polish, 1 hour instruction/inspection time.

Lumadar
12-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Probably $350 for both. I figure 2.5 hours each to polish, 1 hour instruction/inspection time.

Sweet lord, a full polish in 2.5 hours per car?

I think you would consider me a sloth if you saw me work :rofl

I average 8-12 hours per car for a 1-3 step polish. :cry:

M0nk3y
12-06-2008, 06:03 AM

Fast isn`t always good, but everyone has their secrets

I usually take about 5 hours for a 2 step polish......I`ll charge around $150-200 based on correction needed

Showroom Shine
12-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Depending on how my process works, temperature, lighting, etc. I`m at the 5 hour mark or a bit over. Some people want to tell you that all the neccessary steps have been done, (wash,clay,rinse). Then when you arrive you have to go over their prep. Buffing an entire car is not a fast process. To make the finish look Flawless all over and have the same level of shine depth is a work of art!

Saintlysins
12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I agree that location is an equation in the price point. In fact, I tend not to reply to posts regarding specifics where the location can be a factor. Putting your location in can only help your replies.

OK --- off that soap-box and on to the one you want info on ...

Besides location and the value you`ll provide against the existing local tallent (or tallentless :chuckle: ), you don`t want to regret your entry into detailing by not getting paid what you think you`re worth. Start with how long it take you to detail your own sled (also dependent on how many steps/stages are required)? Start the clock when you`re getting dressed for the job ... stop the clock when your tools are packed and you`re pulling the garage doors down.

Now equate what your hourly rate works out to at your `other-job` into the time it took to detail you`re own sled. Add 30 to 60 minutes for large SUV`s. Add $20 to $50 (or more for extra steps/requiremets), for materials. And ALWAYS upcharge for special detailing requests or requirements.

This is a VERY ROUGH way to figure out where you want to `start` pricing your jobs. As you develop techniques, procedures and methods of detailing, you`ll be able to change and/or develop your own pricing strategies that will keep you happy and profitable.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Holden_C04
12-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I agree that location is an equation in the price point. In fact, I tend not to reply to posts regarding specifics where the location can be a factor. Putting your location in can only help your replies.

OK --- off that soap-box and on to the one you want info on ...

Besides location and the value you`ll provide against the existing local tallent (or tallentless :chuckle: ), you don`t want to regret your entry into detailing by not getting paid what you think you`re worth. Start with how long it take you to detail your own sled (also dependent on how many steps/stages are required)? Start the clock when you`re getting dressed for the job ... stop the clock when your tools are packed and you`re pulling the garage doors down.

Now equate what your hourly rate works out to at your `other-job` into the time it took to detail you`re own sled. Add 30 to 60 minutes for large SUV`s. Add $20 to $50 (or more for extra steps/requiremets), for materials. And ALWAYS upcharge for special detailing requests or requirements.

This is a VERY ROUGH way to figure out where you want to `start` pricing your jobs. As you develop techniques, procedures and methods of detailing, you`ll be able to change and/or develop your own pricing strategies that will keep you happy and profitable.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I think he`s looking for a quote. :)

Bbasso
12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I`ll gladly give a quote if I can see the vehicles first.

I`m in SC, but travel... Where are you?

imported_themightytimmah
12-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Oh yeah, I usually take 10-12 for a 3 step. I`m figuring a one-step (P0106FA on a rotary and finessing pad) with no prep time and no added time other than an IPA wipedown.