PDA

View Full Version : Recommend: 7424 Pad Sets

BocaCoupe
12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I have a new black G37 I would like to get a 7424.

I`d like recommendations on what pads, accessories, etc would be a basic set to remove swirls and apply waxes etc.

Any help appreciated!

KnuckleBuckett
12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Probably not what you want to hear but...

get a Flex.

Avoid the PC stage entirely. Wish I had.

Inzane
12-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Probably not what you want to hear but...

get a Flex.

Avoid the PC stage entirely. Wish I had.

Interesting. I already own a PC. But I might skip the Flex stage entirely and go right for a Makita rotary next. ;)

KnuckleBuckett
12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Works for me! I plan on staging to at least getting some rotary practice in this summer. I am sure the Flex will stay in use unlike my boat anchor of the PC I have.

BocaCoupe
12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I knew the Flex would be brought up... For me an occasional detailer who has hand polished the 7424 is huge step up. What pads do I need?

lexusgs
12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
For the PC I would recommend Lake County CCS pads. For correction of swirls and scratches I would get a 3 1/2 in backing plate and some 4" orange pads, maybe a yellow just in case for a more difficult job and some white and blue pads for finishing and applying wax/sealant. I have found the bigger 6 inch pads don`t do much correcting. A good polish like the Menz line is what I use and works great for getting rid of swirls/scratches/water spots, etc.

Unless you detail for money or have or will be detailing alot of cars that have alot of bad defects I don`t really see the need to spend all the extra money on a Flex which costs over twice as much as a PC. If you are just getting something to polish your black G35 the PC7424 is plenty and will be more then enough to keep it looking great and will give excellent results. I have a black Lexus and also detail my parents black Acuras and the PC has done an excellent job getting rid of scratches, swirls, water spots, etc and I never needed anything more, a Flex maybe faster but it is no big deal. A PC with a 4" orange pad and a good polish like Menz IP will take care of pretty much any of your common defects unless they have really bad which would require wetsanding. If I decide to detail for money on the side I might step up to a Flex but for my own car and occasional detailing of my parents cars a PC is more then enough and I am very happy with it.

JSFM35X
12-02-2008, 07:18 AM
I have a new black G37 I would like to get a 7424.

I`d like recommendations on what pads, accessories, etc would be a basic set to remove swirls and apply waxes etc.

Any help appreciated!

Great car, great color (when its clean and polished!). I should know, I have been wrestling with the a new black M35X. I also have a PC and went that way because it is the safest for a newbie like myself. I purchased the Umtima Paint Guard System and later purchased the PC also from four star products. I got the orange pads and ther white pads. I have the 5" pads and they did the job.

My car came with filled in swirls that became evident after washing several times. I liked the idea of Ultima b/c of the wipe on walk away product so I did not have to buff a black car. I have purchased alot of different MF towels and may induce micro marring. I found an Auto Spa towels that is super soft. I use that for QD and IPA wipe downs.

Rick a four star sold me a swirl remover and final finish spray that took care of all the micro marring. Really cleaned up the "nonsense". It took me a good anount of time to figure out how long to work the polish. I watrched alot of Youtube videos on the PC and it helped alot. This board will answer all you questions and give you step by step instructions.

I do have some of the micro marring back to a lesser extent and its too cold to spend all day outside dealiong with it. I will wait until winter is over. I am really happy with the protection of the UPG sealant. Nothing sticks and it cleans up super easy.

This is my first black car and it looks awesome other than under direct sunlight now. I had it really close to perfect but unfortunatly as a daily driver, it did not say there.

Good luck!

Jeff

wannafbody
12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
2 orange

2 white

1 blue or black