PDA

View Full Version : Camera recommendations

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jean-Claude
11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I could not think of a better forum to post this in. I would like to spend -$400 on a camera with changable lenses to take nice photos of my work.

I see most here do the same so I wanted to ask my comrades.

Mods, if you could let this stay that would be awesome. ;)

MBurnickas
11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
The good single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras are all about 200 dollars more, but they are thoroughly through and though professional and well worth it. The only difference between those and the multi-thousand dollar versions, are the shutters are not quite built for daily 24/7 work that the pro models are used for. Nikon, Olympus, or Cannon are all good and petty equal. For a weekend warrior, I wouldn`t be surprised if it last you a lifetime. I have had mine 6 years or so, still looks and works like new. Whatever you choose, buy it at Costco, it`s cheaper than anywhere else and they have a great return policy.

memphisgrace
11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Don`t forget Pentax. You can get their entry level k200d for less than five hundred. there are many great used lenses on ebay and the body is even dust proof and weather-resistant

kaval
12-01-2008, 01:03 AM
I would suggest a D40, but I hear that you can only use 3 lenses from their lense selection. For that reason I suggest you look for a used Rebel XTi for that price. You then have the ability to use any Canon lens, including the L series if you ever wish to get to that level. A lens will make a much larger difference in the picture than the actual body itself. The lens is how your camera sees the picture. If it`s not seeing it well, you won`t get a good picture.

I recently tried out (and almost bought) an L series lens on my Rebel XSi after using the 18-55mm IS kit lens, and was absolutely blown away at the difference in my pictures.

Just my $0.02.

imported_Ivan Rajic
12-01-2008, 03:35 AM
I`m with kaval... I personally use a Canon XSi with the lens that came with it, 18-55, but I see a lot of used Rebel xti for $400-500 even with a kit lens... check out craigslist and/or ebay for some of those deals.

Dan
12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Just another viewpoint.... I`ve had a DSLR and HATED it. When I did carry it with me, it was a PITA to haul around. If you get a quality P&S, you will still get very nice photos. (Within reason) an expensive camera takes no better prictures than a fancy set of cookware makes a good meal.

imported_Ivan Rajic
12-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Just another viewpoint.... I`ve had a DSLR and HATED it. When I did carry it with me, it was a PITA to haul around. If you get a quality P&S, you will still get very nice photos. (Within reason) an expensive camera takes no better prictures than a fancy set of cookware makes a good meal.

Yes and no... I had a Canon S3iS for the longest time and took most of my detailing photos with it (still do because I would only use my SLR for nicer, whole-car photos) and you can probably get great detailing photos with an even crappier P&S than the S3, but an expensive camera (with lens) will usually take better pictures regardless of the user

Labster
12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I`ve heard and still stand by the philosophy that the user makes the photo, not the camera itself. Taking good pictures requires steady hands, good knowledge of proper lighting and a proper knowledge of your camera you use. Personally I use a Canon A95 5.0mp PS and it takes great pics if I follow what I stated above. If you`re looking at getting into something in the upper range, I would suggest looking at a used Canon Rebel XSi or XT. Once again, just my .02

jfelbab
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I`ve heard and still stand by the philosophy that the user makes the photo, not the camera itself. Taking good pictures requires steady hands, good knowledge of proper lighting and a proper knowledge of your camera you use. Personally I use a Canon A95 5.0mp PS and it takes great pics if I follow what I stated above. If you`re looking at getting into something in the upper range, I would suggest looking at a used Canon Rebel XSi or XT. Once again, just my .02

+1

A good camera in the hands of a poor photographer = poor shots

A good camera in the hands of a good photographer = good shots

A cheap camera in the hands of a poor photographer = poor shots

A cheap camera in the hands of a good photographer = good shots

It`s just the same as car detailing, technique and process are what is important to good results.

I`d also strongly consider a P&S (perhaps even a long zoom model) which fit your price point well and will give you more than enough image quality and be much easier to master.

Models like the Nikon P80 (<$300) Canon SX10 IS ($335), Olympus SP565UZ ($315) or SP570UZ ($360), Panasonic FZ28 ($280) would be on my short list.

Good research info on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ (http://www.dpreview.com).

PS: With your short list in hand go to a camera store and play with the models. See which ones feel the best in your hands and operate the way you think they should. The UI can be important in a camera. Take the camera outside in the daylight and see just how useful the LCD display is in bright light. See how easy and fast it is to take pictures and how long the shutter lag is. Ask yourself if you need a hot shoe for an external flash. Take a few photos in the store and outdoors and see how well the white balance was handled.

somebody
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Good thread I was looking into getting a new camera as well. I would suggest looking on craigslist I have found some good deals and people are local so you can see and hopefully test what your are buying.

Brandon

Dan
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes and no... I had a Canon S3iS for the longest time and took most of my detailing photos with it (still do because I would only use my SLR for nicer, whole-car photos) and you can probably get great detailing photos with an even crappier P&S than the S3, but an expensive camera (with lens) will usually take better pictures regardless of the user

Thanks for agreeing with my point :goodjob An SLR that is not used takes much worse pictures than a P&S that does.

AudiOn19s
12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I too have been camera shopping and I"m not sure I`m ready to take the SLR plunge yet.

Look at the Cannon G10 and the outgoing G9 model. Should be able to find good deals on the G9 in your price range and it`s a stand out for me as something nearly SLR quality photo wise that can still be operated by a dummy.

When you consider an SLR you should make sure you`re good with Photoshop as you`re going to need skills with a good editing software to make sure you can touch up colors and levels, etc.

Andy

Envious Eric
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
i compared a P&S camera and a DSLR - for the out of the box, full auto picture taker (me) the DSLR wins hands down. Sure if I took the time to understand how to take better pictures, the p&s will take good ones, but what if I took the same time to learn the DSLR = even better pics! and for the $200+ you are looking at spending (sales going on at circuit city and best buy for the holidays; remember price matching + % discounts), I think that you will have a better time with the DSLR

I used to use a cheaper canon, then a nikon, then a better nikon P&S...then I grabbed my dads DSLY canon rebel XTi - I am now getting a Nikon D60 or a Xti or XSi

imported_Ivan Rajic
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for agreeing with my point :goodjob An SLR that is not used takes much worse pictures than a P&S that does.

haha very true... I use it for other photography though... I think people misunderstood me... a good camera in poor photographer`s hands does= poor photos, but a good camera in ANY photographer`s hands= better photos than a worse camera in that same photographer`s hands... that`s what I was trying to say... I definitely believe the same thing as you Labster, photographer makes up most, sometimes all, of a great photo.

OP if you`re simply looking for a camera for detailing, a good P&S will be more than enough, because most of the fancy shots don`t usually belong in a good before/after comparison... if you know you`ll probably take it up as a hobby sooner or later, if you have a couple extra $100s laying around, and if you can wait a week or so to practice before taking any shots, then I would highly recommend a DSLR because it can serve both purposes, while a P&S can`t... as mentioned before, used Rebel XTi would be your best bet for a starter SLR good luck

imported_Ivan Rajic
12-01-2008, 01:38 PM
i compared a P&S camera and a DSLR - for the out of the box, full auto picture taker (me) the DSLR wins hands down. Sure if I took the time to understand how to take better pictures, the p&s will take good ones, but what if I took the same time to learn the DSLR = even better pics! and for the $200+ you are looking at spending (sales going on at circuit city and best buy for the holidays; remember price matching + % discounts), I think that you will have a better time with the DSLR

I used to use a cheaper canon, then a nikon, then a better nikon P&S...then I grabbed my dads DSLY canon rebel XTi - I am now getting a Nikon D60 or a Xti or XSi

Exactly what I`m saying.. thanks.