PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Power Clean

jw
11-28-2008, 02:23 PM
For the last year i`ve been washing my cars in the garage with ONR and a garden sprayer. One thing that`s never worked great was doing the wheels. I have german cars that have a ton of brake dust and the ONR usually can`t handle it. I`ve watched Scottwax`s video on youtube and he uses Optimum Power clean on the wheels. Does anyone else do this? If you used this and then sprayed off any excess with the garden sprayer would that be alright? I don`t want to damage my rims by leaving product on. Are there better alternatives?

Blade9
11-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I must be the only German car owner without a brake dust problem? Mine`s a 2008 Audi; it`s a daily driver and washed every weekend with ONR. I do the wheels last using the remaining ONR solution, agitating the brake dust with a wheel brush. I did use Power Clean once or twice, but ONR works fine as it is and does not remove my wheel wax.

zaxjax
11-28-2008, 03:20 PM
JW

I have a 335i and brake dust is a never ending battle. I spray my rims down with diluted Simple Green 4:1 and then wash with a dedicated wash mitt and brush.

Chris@Optimum
11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
If I`m not mistaken, PowerClean is a surfactant and non-caustic. So, by following with ONR or simply a damp towel you should have no problems.

jw
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Is this true that it is non caustic? What about other wheel cleaners like P21S or Griots? Are they non caustic?

pwaug
11-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I put two coats of Sealant (one ZAIO and one ZCS) on my wheels when I do the body and have no trouble cleaning them with ONR. VW so the dust is moderate.

Scottwax
11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I only use Power Clean when I have to, which isn`t often since a combination of ONR, brushes and a pesticide sprayer work very well. Power Clean is a great overall APC product, even does a great job cleaning pads and MFs.

jw
11-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks Scottwax, when I was watching your video on youtube it doesn`t look like you rinse the APC off? Do you rinse it off with ONR or do you just use the water in your bucket to rinse?

Chris@Optimum
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Is this true that it is non caustic? What about other wheel cleaners like P21S or Griots? Are they non caustic?

I double checked and I am correct: Non-Caustic and only instructions are do not allow to dry on surface. Following it with the ONR or a wet MF is fine. I would weaken it to 5:1 to avoid stripping LSP, but for normal cleaning 3:1 is fine.

Scottwax
11-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks Scottwax, when I was watching your video on youtube it doesn`t look like you rinse the APC off? Do you rinse it off with ONR or do you just use the water in your bucket to rinse?

I normally just go back over the tire with the water in the ONR bucket. Now I`ve added a pesticide sprayer filled with clean water as well to use as the last step.

jw
11-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if Griots wheel cleaner is non caustic?