PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 and #9

Pages : [1] 2

STL WRX
11-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Picked up Swirl Remover 2.0 and Fine cut cleaner for my Redline 350z thats been neglected. I will be using my random orbit buffer for these and I want to know if anyone else has used them and if anyone can give me any tips?

89gt-stanger
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
If you actually put #2 on a clearcoat, that would be a HUGE mistake on your part.

Get you hands on #80 and #83.

Less
11-26-2008, 03:27 PM
I have some #2, I`ve never used it though. I`m going to check the bottle as soon as I get home and see if it says "safe for clear coats".

Here`s the description form autogeek.net. "It’s safe for all finishes, even clear coats, if you use it properly." Meguiars #2 Fine Cut Cleaner cleans oxidized car paint with your high speed rotary polisher. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 Fine Cut Cleaner polishes out (http://www.autogeek.net/megsno2fincu.html)

#9 is a very filler-heavy product. It will make the car look great, but won`t actually remove the defects.

BigAl3
11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
If you actually put #2 on a clearcoat, that would be a HUGE mistake on your part.

why would it be a huge mistake?

STL WRX
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
So far I have had great success with the products until my buffer overheated and died. So as the 350z sits it has a nice and shiny front fender.

imported_Ivan Rajic
11-27-2008, 12:21 AM

+1... maybe if you put it on and leave it there to do nothing... I`ve used #2 and still do on occasion and it works great...

auto_guy
11-27-2008, 12:42 AM

what i was thinking, i`ve had good results with it.

Lumadar
11-27-2008, 03:42 AM
The entire concept of "clearcoat safe" is literally 100% marketing based. Manufacturers put that because people who don`t realize that it doesn`t matter if there is a clearcoat or not look for it.

They have a clearcoat, they look at a bottle, it says "clearcoat safe," and they feel reasured that the product will work for them.

Or conversely, they have a clearcoat, the bottle makes no mention, and they don`t buy it because they don`t think it will work.

The manufacturers aren`t trying to trick anyone- they just do it due to a lack of customer knowledge/education on the subject.

imported_Ivan Rajic
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
#9 is a very filler-heavy product. It will make the car look great, but won`t actually remove the defects.

Can we please refrain from posting ridiculous crap like this... I`m a well respected detailer in Chicago and I`ve had my share of details using mostly #9 from Meg`s... yes it has some filling abilities and needs a wipe down after to see exactly what you`re doing on the paint (which is why I use it sometimes as a finishing polish on cars that I know can`t look perfect) but to say it won`t remove defects is just dumb...

This isn`t a personal attack Les, rather just an attempt to stop, or at least downsize, the amount of bad information spread on the internet... you probably read something where a person said it has fillers and now that`s what you live by... if 106ff wasn`t so good and popular, it would probably end up being in the same category in a few months where people are saying it does nothing but fills...

#9 DOES remove defects but after you wipe it off, you won`t see the paint `clearly`

Sorry for the rant, it`s just annoying hearing first about someone being an idiot for using #2 for polishing and then this...

Less
11-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I`m a well respected detailer in Chicago

Says who? You`re shameless self-promotion doesn`t make you more credible.

you probably read something where a person said it has fillers and now that`s what you live by

No, I actually have used the stuff and it have found it to be a very filler heavy product. Why would you assume that I`m just here promoting information that I`ve read on the internet without actually using the product? What have I ever done to make you believe that I would do that?

Sorry for the rant, it`s just annoying hearing first about someone being an idiot for using #2 for polishing

That wasn`t me.

But since you brought it up, here is what I actually HAVE read.

Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover cleans and polishes auto paint to a smooth shine! Remove swirl marks and water spots with Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover Car (http://www.autogeek.net/meg9swirrem.html)

Here`s some highlights

The powerful cleaner/polisher in #9 Swirl Remover pulls up dirt and grime and reduces the appearance of swirl marks and minor scratches. (notice it doesn`t say REMOVES defects, just `reduces appearance`)

#9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive (doesn`t sound like it`s really suited for defect removal to me)

the cleaner ingredients blast sediments out of the defects and off of the paint as the polishing emollients round over the hard edges of swirls or scratches and literally fill-in the damage. (I`m not an expert on the english language so don`t take my word for it. I suggest you get a dictionary and look up the words "fill in")

akimel
11-27-2008, 04:50 PM
From all I have read, M09 is the least aggressive of polishes within Meguiar`s professional line (excluding "pure polishes" or glazes), but it does contain diminishing abrasives and therefore can remove, when properly used, light swirls. See, for example, this thread: What`s the difference between #9, #82 and #80? (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11647). The cited AutoGeek description of M09 is therefore a tad inaccurate. Also read through this thread: Reformulated #2 (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6131).

Hope this helps.

Al

Less
11-27-2008, 06:20 PM
I`m really not interested in debating the the correcting abilities of this product. Whether or not it actually `removes` scratches and swirl marks is not a debate in which I`m anxious to engage. Maybe it does work a little bit, maybe it doesn`t, I really don`t care.

However, there is no denying that IF this product does in fact correct defects, it does so minimally. I think that most would agree that there are many other products on the market that will do a much better job of actually removing defects. And I alsothink that most will agree that the primary purpose of this product, and it`s most effective application, is as a filler.

That is my opinion based on 1) my own experience and experimentation with the product. 2) The label on the bottle. and 3) The product description from the manufacturer and at least one major online retailer.

I`m not about to change that opinion based on a rant from a "well respected detailer from Chicago".

And further, to Lecchilo, calling yourself "a well respected detailer" weakens your argument as far as I`m concerned. Basic college-level education in marketing will teach you that words like "respected", "quality", and "integrity" are some of the most meaningless and least potent words a business can use when describing itself. When you say you are "well respected", with nothing to back it up, you are either 1) Covering up for the fact that you are NOT well respected, or 2) Implying that your competition is not well respected. And since you could never really know that about ALL of your competition, you have actually hurt your own credibility by making that claim.

So Lecchilo, don`t bother trying to debate this with me, because I am not going to lend any credibility to anything you say. You`re simple claim of being a "well respected detailer" is not going to make me believe that you somehow know more than the manufacturer and distributors of this product.

So if anyone else is still curious about Meguiars #9 here are the facts:

Meguairs, the actual manufacturer of the product, one of the most prominent names in car care for over 100 years says that it is a non-abrasive product with fillers.

Autogeek.net, a prominent online retailer of car care products for detailing professionals and hobbyists alike, describes the product as non-abrasive with it`s most potent application being as a filler.

A "well respected detailer from Chicaco" says otherwise.

Judge for yourself

imported_Ivan Rajic
11-28-2008, 01:37 AM
All I`m going to say is that if you actually read any of my past posts/threads you would understand this was in no way a promotion for my business. End of discussion, people can buy it and try it themselves.

Todd@RUPES
11-28-2008, 05:33 AM
From Meguiars.com

Swirl Remover 2.0 is a deep gloss cleaner/polish. It removes fine scratches and swirl marks, while providing a dark, dramatic shine. Formulated to reduce splatter and make application and wipe-down easier.

My experience is that M09 removes fine swirling and doesn`t just fill it in.

Jason M
11-28-2008, 08:09 AM
#9 is a great product if you use it for what it`s intended for. Removing fine scratches and making the paint look better. I have used a lot of #9. Yes, it will remove very fine scratches. People who can`t seem to find a product to finish out uber soft paint should check it out. Yes, it has a lot of oils in it. I do a wipe down on my test spot any time I use it. I do not do a wipe down on the entire car after I use it. The oils are part of what make it look good and do it`s thing....just like #7 but with some cut IMO. It also works great if you just want to do some light cleaning on the car before applying wax and don`t need heavy polishing.