PDA

View Full Version : Tackling a beautifully swirled Volvo with a PC possible?

vietgurl
11-24-2008, 11:01 AM
So I`ve had pretty good luck on the soft Toyota and Honda paints with my UDM. I get to tackle a heavily swirled Volvo (let`s just say it goes through one of those automated car wash with huge brushes every few weeks) soon and was wondering how hard Volvo`s paint is. Will I be able to make a dent in it without a rotary? I have 4" LC pads which should hopefully help... Thanks.

zaxjax
11-24-2008, 11:49 AM
It never hurts to try!

Which compound or polish are you going to use?

vietgurl
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
It never hurts to try!

Which compound or polish are you going to use?

Was thinking a few passes of SIP with an orange pad followed by 106FA. If SIP isn`t enough, then I`ll switch to Four Star Medium Cut Compound on an orange pad.

Mark77
11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
What Volvo is it? I have a V50 and the paint is pretty hard on it( silver metallic) but it doesn`t mar easily either, so since I wash it carefully it has stayed pretty mar free for almost 4 years now. Got a few spots that some idiot in a mall parking lot caused by dragging something so it touched the side of the right front door and fender, but I got that out with some PB 2,5 and Poli-Seal using a Cyclo polisher.

vietgurl
11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
What Volvo is it? I have a V50 and the paint is pretty hard on it( silver metallic) but it doesn`t mar easily either, so since I wash it carefully it has stayed pretty mar free for almost 4 years now. Got a few spots that some idiot in a mall parking lot caused by dragging something so it touched the side of the right front door and fender, but I got that out with some PB 2,5 and Poli-Seal using a Cyclo polisher.

It`s a 2003 S40. I don`t have the car with me right now but I do remember seeing it last year in the sun and...I saw the faces of religious people in the swirls :chuckle:

imported_beachwolverine
11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
I do remember seeing it last year in the sun and...I saw could see the faces of religious people in the swirls :chuckle:

funny! :har:

Accumulator
11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
vietgurl- In case your proposed combos don`t cut it, Meg`s M105 works super with the PC/4" pads, oughta be plenty aggressive enough.

We had a 850 with pretty hard clear that was a PIA to do via PC, but I`ve used the M105/4" combo on harder clear than that with great results.

vietgurl
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks Accumulator, I`ll pick up some M105 then.

sus195
11-25-2008, 11:34 PM
It`s a 2003 S40. I don`t have the car with me right now but I do remember seeing it last year in the sun and...I saw the faces of religious people in the swirls :chuckle:

vietgurl,

I have a 2004 s40. you say your paint is hard? i would think its soft. what color do you have? i have a few swirls, i dont intend to run into any problems getting them out

im actually shopping for products and a DA polisher for this upcoming holiday:spot

vietgurl
11-28-2008, 04:51 PM
vietgurl,

I have a 2004 s40. you say your paint is hard? i would think its soft. what color do you have? i have a few swirls, i dont intend to run into any problems getting them out

im actually shopping for products and a DA polisher for this upcoming holiday:spot

It`s actually not my car so I can`t mess around with it. I need to figure out how I`m going to tackle it now though. I heard that Volvo`s paint is like soft-hard so...

Let me know how easy it is for you to get those swirls out :)

Todd@RUPES
11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
M105, a lot of pressure (and keep the pad clean).

wannafbody
11-28-2008, 05:52 PM

Don`t detail it-put it on Ebay instead:laugh: