PDA

View Full Version : Which pads to get

bored7one4
09-26-2005, 11:56 PM
do you think all pads are the same?

i was thinking about getting pads from autogeek (LC Pads) or sonus from autopia. does it really matter where i get it from?

Jngrbrdman
09-27-2005, 12:38 AM
It only matters that you get the right pads for the job. Where you get them from or what label they have on the front is immaterial. Get a finishing pad and a polishing pad. Those two will be enough for most jobs.

This is from a FAQ that I put together not long ago. It gives a little more detail.

Q: Ok, I understand that I need to get a Porter Cable now. What else do I need to buy with it? I see all these pads and backing plates and counter weights and polishes... It’s awfully confusing. What exactly do I need to get with this machine?
A: That is by far my favorite question. It always comes from someone who has done a lot of research and now knows that their paint is important to protect. Think about it... your paint is the very most expensive part of your car. To get an OEM quality paint job you could pay upwards of $8000. Sure you can get the $250 Maaco special, but I’ll bet that paint won’t last you for 15 or 20 years like a well maintained OEM paint job will. I really don’t think that spending a couple hundred dollars to protect the most expensive part of your car is unreasonable. I’ll bet you’ll spend hundreds more on oil changes and regular maintenance on you engine over the life of your car than you will spend on a PC and the right pads and polishes. So kudos to everybody who asks this question. You are all wise beyond your years.
The answer is simple. You need the PC, of course. I don’t know where you plan on buying it, but usually you will spend anywhere from $100 to $140 on a PC7424 or PC7336. The difference between the two can be found on CoastalTool.com (which usually has the best price on the 7424 by the way). Once you have the machine the rest should be easy. Check out PremiumAutoCare’s selection of pads. The basics that you need are a finishing pad and a polishing pad. If you are going to order from PAC then I would suggest that you get the Red one and the White one. You’ll use the white pad to polish swirls and you’ll use the red one to apply waxes and sealants. I would also suggest this backing plate. The foam backing plates are great because if you are polishing under a hood scoop or spoiler you don’t need to worry as much about grinding the paint with the edge of a hard backing plate. Also, if you are going to use a 6” backing plate then you really should get the 6” counterweight. That will help reduce vibrations. You can use the 5” backing plate that comes with the tool, but you’ll probably enjoy it more if you get the 6”. The good thing about ordering from Coastal Tool is that the PC7424 already comes with a backing plate and the 6” counterweight. I would still suggest upgrading to the foam one, but the one that it comes with from them will actually work just fine.
As far as polishes go, that really depends on the condition of your paint.