PDA

View Full Version : Polishing/Compound by Hand

shadow85
11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I have been on Autopia for a while now and learned alot on the proper way to take care of the cars finish. Everything seems to make sense, except polishing.

What`s a good hand polish/compound that will get wet sand marks 1500/3000grit out? I am looking for a polish that sort of "brings back the gloss". I would like a hand application polish. I have ScratchX and KAIO. Any suggestions?

PS: Any suggestions are welcome. Store obtainable would be nice.

dkblue05
11-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I havent found a good hand polish. most compounds need to heat to break down.

I would recommend a machine

Lumadar
11-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Meguiar`s M105 is THE choice. You may need to follow it up with ScratchX if you have a sensitive/soft paint, but maybe not.

You can order M105 at the lowest prices around from Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com)

Accumulator
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
..What`s a good hand polish/compound that will get wet sand marks 1500/3000grit out? I am looking for a polish that sort of "brings back the gloss". I would like a hand application polish. I have ScratchX and KAIO. Any suggestions?

PS: Any suggestions are welcome. Store obtainable would be nice.

As Lumadar said, M105 is *the* answer these days. Follow up with something milder to bring up the gloss and you should be all set. I dunno if the Scratch-X will be sufficient for use after the M105 though. Don`t use the KAIO until everything`s all polished to your satisfaction, it`s functionally nonabrasive in almost all situations (despite what the ad-copy says).

Anything that works via PC oughta work by hand so there are a lot of choices.

I`ve done a lot of by-hand work, and on hard clear too...it can be done, just takes forever. Heh heh, dealing with 3K scratches is a *LOT* easier than dealing with coarser ones! No way I`d want to tackle anything coarser than 2K. I`d be leery of overthinning the clear with 1500 anyhow..gotta be a little careful even with 2K (voice of experience, gee, guess how I know :o ).

pwaug
11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I`ve had good results with Megs M105 by hand with a MF applicator. Didn`t require any follow up, but don`t try to do the entire car on the same day. It is allot of work so if you do a panel or two a day you can give it the attention and multiple passes it might need. You can also get CSS pads for hand use CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators - Hand polish, hand detail, foam applicators, CCS foam pads, polishing pad (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-foam-hand-applicators.html) just like the ones used for a DA which might be more effective than a MF applicator. Megs also has a consumer version of M105 which will be available in January--I believe it is called Ultimate Compound that comes in smaller quatities.

If you check the Megs Online site under "Working by Hand" you will find more information and some results pictures of M105 by hand.

shadow85
11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Cool thanks. Is M105 ok or too aggressive for regular polishing? Also, any recommendations on a "finishing" polish. I hope I am getting this right. M105 does the dirty work, and u then follow with a finish polish. Then its ready for KAIO. ?

Lumadar
11-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Cool thanks. Is M105 ok or too aggressive for regular polishing? Also, any recommendations on a "finishing" polish. I hope I am getting this right. M105 does the dirty work, and u then follow with a finish polish. Then its ready for KAIO. ?

M105 is fairly aggressive, but you shouldn`t need it often if you are using a proper 2 bucket wash method, quality supplies (a good sheepskin mitt for example, and soft drying towels or microfiber waffle weaves) etc.

As for maintenance products, there aren`t really many out there that provide results like M105 does by hand right now, BUT Meguiar`s has a whole new slew of products that will work miracles by hand that are coming out in the first month or two of 2009. Just hang tight... :bigups

shadow85
11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes sir. Will the M105 come out nice and glossy good for waxing? Or will I have to finish polish?

Lumadar
11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes sir. Will the M105 come out nice and glossy good for waxing? Or will I have to finish polish?

It is something you have to evaluate on a case by case basis. Most of the time M105 b y hand will be totally wax ready, but sometimes on finicky paint you may need to follow it up with some ScratchX. If you use ScratchX, work with a Meguiar`s yellow soft buff foam pad and put some passion behind the pad (As Mike Phillips says) so you can break the abrasives down and really get some results. It`s a very gentle product- don`t be afraid of it. :xyxthumbs