PDA

View Full Version : removing paint on interior

dkblue05
11-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Alright a friend on another forum had a can of duplicolor paint explode in his truck.

Here is an excerpt from his thread

"I purposely placed them in the back seat laying front to back so they wouldn`t roll off. Well I guess they shifted during the drive and as I was pulling up to a redlight the can of grey rolled off and landed on my seat track and punctured the can (brand new can of duplicolor) and commenced spray-painting my interior while I tried to get out and get the can out... In that ~10sec that it was in the truck it got my carpet, back seat, front seat, driver door panel, EVERY piece of plastic from the back rt side of the cab to the panel behind the emergency brake pedal, the window tint on the front window, back window, and rear glass.... And my Infinity door speakers

I had planned on replacing the carpet anyway so that`s not a huge deal, but as far as the interior plastics and the seats and the door panel carpet I don`t know how to fix it other than just replacing the panels. The seats are the 6-way power too, replacing them would be way expensive I`m sure.

Is there anything out there that will take it off without hurting the original finish of the plastic? I know the seats are sort of a polyester material so I don`t know how they would react..."

Now he is planning on removing the seat covers and replacing them and the carpet.

do you have any recommendations for saving some of the plastic/vinyl?

dkblue05
11-21-2008, 02:50 PM
im just looking for suggestions here

longdx
11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Sorry for your bad luck. As far as the carpet, you may need to try a steam cleaner and/or hot water extractor. Spray paint of unprepped plastic/vinly panels should come off rather easily (in order to repaint these panels, you usually have to clean the panels with TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) prior to applying vinyl paint) so the paint is probably did not adhere to the panels too well. . Hot water extraction/steam cleaning will probably be needed for the seats (are they leather or fabric?)

Less
11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I`m afraid I have no suggestions. I think this is the worst thing I`ve ever heard

dkblue05
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
The seats are leather, he is going to find new factory covers for them, mostly he is trying to save the plastics, windows, and vinyl.

And yes this is the makings for a very bad day

its a silverado with a turbo making 460rwhp on only 6psi

salty
11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Glass, a razor blade should work.

Mineral spirits on the plastic might soften the paint. Dilute Acetone 50/50 with water and try it on a corner of the the plastic, after the mineral spirit soak. The Acetone mix will damage the plastic if left on too long. Wipe on see if it removes the paint and then wipe it off. Do it as soon as possible as the paint will harden cure very quickly.

You can also get good results with SEM plastic paint to repaint the panels. The color match is usually good. There are some posts in the pro section on the proper use the the paints.

dkblue05
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
He used mineral spirits on the plastics and it removed the dye too, ill tell him to look for the SEM thats good stuff

bmw808
11-22-2008, 11:03 AM
damnnn that sucks good luck