PDA

View Full Version : Help with my swirls please!

Pages : [1] 2

jdrop01
11-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I am running a Makita 9227 and so far I have tried these combo:

Powergloss with wool pad that came with the Makita

Powergloss with orange

MIP with Orange/White

Powergloss is the strongest I have against my 98 Corvette. BTW is Black! I am getting no where fast. Should I go ahead and order some Megs #105 and a PFW? I am getting sad because I want some flawless results so I can drive my Vette again. I am not going to try another combo until I get some feedback here, afraid to hurt my clearcoat now. Thanks sucks because I thought I would be driving by this weekend :wall:sadwavey:

Which combo should I buy:

Megs #105 with Meg Solo Wool Light cutting pad

Megs #105 with Meg Solo Wool Heavy cutting pad

Megs #105 with PFW

Sorry I have no pictures the wife took the camera with her on her trip home.

Less
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
It`s tough to say without pics. But I`m guessing that your approach is WAY too agressive.

Rotary, wool pads, and a polish that has VERY heavy cut, that all makes for a VERY AGGRESSIVE recipe. Going to megs 105 will probably make your problem worse.

I`m guessing that you are, in fact, fixing the defects, but since your polish and pad are so aggressive you`re actually creating new ones that need to then be buffed out with a finer polish.

Standard operating procedure is to start with the least aggressive approach and then work your way up. After the defects are removed to your satisfaction, work your way back down and polish out any mirco-marring induced by teh aggressive polish.

I would use Mezerna PO106 and a white pad and see what that does. If you`re not happy, move up to Menzerna IP and an orange pad. Then go back over it with the PO106 and white pad. Then see where you are.

A 10 year old car is never going to be perfect again. But you should get pretty close. If you find yourself 95% satisfied, I would just quit polishing right there since any more aggression will likely do more harm than good. Use a glaze to fill in what`s left at that point, wax it up, and call it a day.

Imatk
11-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Agreed, I would start with the white pad and a slow speed and move up from there.

stig-zzz
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
It`s tough to say without pics. But I`m guessing that your approach is WAY too agressive.

Rotary, wool pads, and a polish that has VERY heavy cut, that all makes for a VERY AGGRESSIVE recipe. Going to megs 105 will probably make your problem worse.

I`m guessing that you are, in fact, fixing the defects, but since your polish and pad are so aggressive you`re actually creating new ones that need to then be buffed out with a finer polish.

Standard operating procedure is to start with the least aggressive approach and then work your way up. After the defects are removed to your satisfaction, work your way back down and polish out any mirco-marring induced by teh aggressive polish.

I would use Mezerna PO106 and a white pad and see what that does. If you`re not happy, move up to Menzerna IP and an orange pad. Then go back over it with the PO106 and white pad. Then see where you are.

A 10 year old car is never going to be perfect again. But you should get pretty close. If you find yourself 95% satisfied, I would just quit polishing right there since any more aggression will likely do more harm than good. Use a glaze to fill in what`s left at that point, wax it up, and call it a day.

i totally agree im sure that alot of your defects were self induced with the aggressive combo that was used

Slow down speed and arm motion and make sure the polish fully breaks down you might have to make quite a few passes to correct the marring vettes clear is a very hard finish and takes alot of work good luck....keep the wave alive:wavey:wavey:wavey

Accumulator
11-20-2008, 12:22 PM
If, OTOH, the clear really is *that* hard, and the marring in question isn`t being caused by jdrop01`s approach, then the M105 might be just the ticket.

I could *NOT* get decent correction in a timely manner on my `97 BMW with the rotary and stuff like HT-EC and 1Z Pasta Intensiv (even with wool pads), I had to step up to 3M Extra Cut, which is awfully aggressive stuff, and even then it took many, many passes. But M105 worked like magic without being as harsh as the 3M.

FWIW, I found I did not need wool with the M105, so don`t assume you have to use wool pads with it to get aggressive correction.

I can`t help but think "bummer..." when somebody isn`t enjoying driving their car because it has some marring.

Less
11-20-2008, 01:01 PM
If, OTOH, the clear really is *that* hard, and the marring in question isn`t being caused by jdrop01`s approach, then the M105 might be just the ticket.

I can`t help but think "bummer..." when somebody isn`t enjoying driving their car because it has some marring.

Agreed, but......

I think we`ll all agree that the OP`s aforementioned process is certainly on the aggressive end of the spectrum. It`s certainly possible that M105 will work. But we just don`t have enough information to make that determination.

And I`m with you Accumulator, I would be pretty bummed too if I had a kick-azz ride like a black vette and I had to drive it around with a finish that looked like it`s been washed with a brillo pad.

So let`s not confuse the OP, and let`s diagnose the problem. And to do that, we need pics.

jdrop01 - Can you do this for us:

Use some tape and section off your hood into quarters. Then take pics of each quadrant after doing the following:

1) Do nothing, let`s see what we`re dealing with

2) Use Powergloss and an orange pad

3) Use MIP and an orange pad

4) Use MIP and an orange pad, then go over it again with a white pad.

Take these pics preferably under a worklight, but if you dont` have one, try to get some direct sunlight.

This will go a long way in determining what your car really needs. Without pics, any advice (including my own) is pure speculation.

Accumulator
11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
So let`s not confuse the OP, and let`s diagnose the problem..

Agreed. First thing is to figure out if the problem is the original marring or a new issue created by the attempted correction. I woulda assumed the OP could tell the difference, but, well...you know what they say about assuming things :o

jdrop01
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I did use the rule try the least aggressive approach first sorry I just put what I use in whatever order. I did try a white pad with MIP first with minor results so I bumped up to a orange pad with little results so then I went up to powergloss and orange and even though I received good results I wanted to get better so that is when I busted out the wool pad with powergloss then followed that with MIP and white then 85rd and black and the results were almost to where I wanted it but still had swirls that were still there.

Maybe like Less said my 10yr old paint will never get perfect again. =\ Well I am off to go try what Less said and I will try to get pics also. Thanks for everyone`s help.

blucpe
11-20-2008, 05:27 PM
i just purchased menz. po85, po106fa, white, orange, blue 4" lc pads to polish out my `03 coupe. i started with po85 with white pad and nothing, then i stepped up to an orange pad with better results but you really have to work the polish for a while to really see a difference, while my car was`nt bad it did have some light scratches and some spider webbing, it`s about 90% now and i`m satisfied with it, i still have to go over it with po106 and then with dwg after which i`m gonna apply two coats of fk1000p. i think you just have to be patient to get the results your after but it`s worth it especially with vette clear, it is very hard.

jdrop01
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Alright! I finally got some pictures I went and borrowed a camera. Anyways here are the pics I will try to figure out which is what product and pad but overall they look the same. Sometimes I think when I go to wipe off the polish I feel like my microfiber towel is putting back marring. I went through like 6 towels and it most likely is just my mind playing tricks on me since I am getting real frustrated. :sadpace: Well hopefully since I have pictures up everyone can give me better advice on what I need to do or if I need a different product.

MIP Orange / MIP White

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/derty01/DSC02140.jpg

MIP/Orange MIP/White 85rd Black

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/derty01/DSC02141.jpg

Powergloss Orange

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/derty01/DSC02142.jpg

MIP Orange

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/derty01/DSC02143.jpg

MIP Orange

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/derty01/DSC02144-1.jpg

jdrop01
11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Well I went out and did a check on something and it seems that my microfiber towels are causing marring when I am wiping off the polish..... what do I do now? Man this sucks.....

Less
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Well I`m afraid I don`t have much advice. I don`t have much experience with a rotary or corvettes. And I agree, all of those pics look the same. Though the MIP w/orange seems to be a little bit better. You may just need to do more passes until your results get better. Possibly step up to a yellow pad.

The only thing that jumps out at me is your comment about the MF feeling as if it is creating more problems. So I`m going to ask...did you clay? Maybe some contaminants are getting caught up in your pad and causing more marring.

The other thing I`m thinking, and I`m not an expert so I don`t even know if this is possible, or how you would tell. But is it possible that the car has been over-polished over the last 10 years. In other words, is it possible that so much of the clear has been worn down that this marring might actually be in the paint itself?

Less
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Well I went out and did a check on something and it seems that my microfiber towels are causing marring when I am wiping off the polish..... what do I do now? Man this sucks.....

You can confirm this by wiping your MF towels on the back of a CD. If it scratches, then your towels are bunk.

I know that Autogeek has their Cobra delux jr MF towels on BOGO. I jsut bought some and they are awesome.

Also a QD might help reduce some of the marring.

jdrop01
11-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Car has never been polished by the previous owner and the only thing I have done myself is use a PC with a white pad and mip and mfp. I did clay the car before starting also.

jdrop01
11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I finally got the results I was looking for!!!!!! I figured it out I was using way to much product! I have about 95% defects removed and I am happy with that. Finished it with 85rd and now looks almost perfect. Man that took forever to get the results I wanted but at least I got it now time to finish my hood!