PDA

View Full Version : Topping Collinite 476S??

Matt_L
11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I searched but only found threads on topping the other Collinite waxes.

I am getting my car ready for winter. It`s a new 2 week old *black* car with very minor marring. I decided to wait until spring to do the full detail since the temps are highs in the low 40s here now and I am also short on time. I washed it with Dawn because I don`t know what the dealer put on, if anything. I did a coat of Poor Boy`s Black Hole and 2 coats of Collinite 476S yesterday. I would like to possibly top it with something that will help even more with road grime, salt, etc. to not stick to it if that is possible. Is it as good as it gets right now or would it help to top with something? It looks pretty darn good right now, but of course I have no history to compare it with since it`s so new.

I will be washing with ONR over the winter and hitting it with Megs QD.

Accumulator
11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
..I am...short on time... I did a coat of Poor Boy`s Black Hole and 2 coats of Collinite 476S yesterday. I would like to possibly top it with something that will help even more with road grime, salt, etc. to not stick to it if that is possible. Is it as good as it gets right now or would it help to top with something? ..

I will be washing with ONR over the winter and hitting it with Megs QD.

I use 476S on one of my (winter use) daily drivers, and IMO the 476S *is* about as good as it gets when it comes to protection and dirt-shedding. I would just add another coat of 476S if you want to do something.

I use other QDs on it after washing, but if you like the Meg`s stuff that oughta give a little additional sacrificial layer.

imported_weekendwarrior
11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Don`t top it with anything. In my opinion, if you were to top it with anything, from a looks stand point, you wouldn`t even be able to detect it.

Matt_L
11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks! So a QD after each wash sounds like my best option.

wfedwar
11-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks! So a QD after each wash sounds like my best option.

..or just wash it and leave it alone.

imported_MBenz
11-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Honestly you really don`t need to top it. I will throw on a coat of aquawax on mine if i get bored but for the most part, 476s does not need help. If you are planning to do a correction in the summer, you better let the winter help you wear down the 476s because it is so tenacious and most times won`t be completely dead after a winter with ONR washes helping to preserve it along the way. Just my $0.02

Matt_L
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Yea I did think about that. How to get that 476 off when I need to!

wfedwar
11-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Why do you need to?

dkblue05
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Dawn wash and clay bar

Matt_L
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Why do you need to?

So I can buff it out in the spring and make it PERRRRRFECT. ;-)

Accumulator
11-19-2008, 10:49 AM
How to get that 476 off when I need to!

Either just polish through it (Collinite doesn`t seem to cause issues with this the way some LSPs do, just makes you do an extra pass or two if using mild polishes) or go ahead and first compromise it with PrepSol/etc. first (which is still probably worth doing even if it`s not mandatory).

Dawn wash and clay bar

Collinite is mighty Dawn-resistant, even when on its last legs, and any clay that`ll strip off 476S will usually, IME, also mar the paint more than Mattt_L might want to deal with (I spot-clay Collinite at every wash and it withstands it just fine).

imported_rydawg
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Try topping Collinite with Z8. It gives that extra glow and repels dust a little better too.

imported_Picus
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I`m not normally able to remove 476s with dawn. I just polish right over it; I`ve never had an issue like I do with some other waxes.