PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Fastech-Racing
11-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Guys,

I`m new to this forum...I`m about to cry here, so please help!!!

I just got a new silver Nissan GTR and installed a clear bra. I was told to get some microfiber, so got some orange VROOM orange CRAP from Target:grrr

Instructions where to use some diluted alcohol to install the clear bra. I had some alcohol still on the towel...laid it on my hood and next thing you know, I got this orange crap on there!!! I had a touch-up paint buddy come by to try to buff it out. He buffed for a while and seemed to think it worked its way into the clear.

Can anyone help???

BTW, I didn`t pre-wash the towels...but never thought this would be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

John-

Deanski
11-17-2008, 08:14 PM
First, whenever you do an IPA wipe down you use thin cotton rags that are lint free. This is to only remove oils/wax before you float on the film with the approved lube/distilled water mix which is worked out when the film is applied and streached into place.

Second, if you are doing film on a new GTR, why didn`t you get someone who is a film installer do this for you? The GTR is not a cheap Nissan, so I`m a bit shocked.

Anyway, the orange is not in the clear. You have a dye that bleeds from the towels which is not going to damage the paint, but discolor it enough.

You need to take it to the body shop and see if they can put it in the oven to warm up the finish enough so they can lift off the dye. Let them do this, not someone else who just does touchups etc.

I would not polish/compound any further at this point. No need to damage the finish further.

Once corrected by the shop, please have someone qualified in paint film installs to film your GTR.

Regards,

Deanski

dkblue05
11-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Pics? I have used the vroom towels for a year, never had a problem

Deanski
11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Pics? I have used the vroom towels for a year, never had a problem

yes, but add alcohol and any MF towel will bleed dye.

Always use lint free tightly woven cotton rags. Like the ones used in the computer industry, these are the best. No lint, no dye no problem when doing IPA wipes!

Deanski

dkblue05
11-17-2008, 08:20 PM
yep we posted at the same time, i have never done a alcohol wipe down with them. Good to know

Now could he get some cotton rags and lift the color out with alcohol?

Fastech-Racing
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for teh quick responses!

First, whenever you do an IPA wipe down you use thin cotton rags that are lint free. .

***what`s an IPA?

Second, if you are doing film on a new GTR, why didn`t you get someone who is a film installer do this for you? The GTR is not a cheap Nissan, so I`m a bit shocked.

***I`ve installed graphics on other cars no problem. It actually turned out great with the exception of the orange that bled onto the paint. I did it by myself and it came out for the most part bubble free and straight.

Anyway, the orange is not in the clear. You have a dye that bleeds from the towels which is not going to damage the paint, but discolor it enough.

***man...that`s good to hear!

You need to take it to the body shop and see if they can put it in the oven to warm up the finish enough so they can lift off the dye. Let them do this, not someone else who just does touchups etc.

***Can I do this with a heat gun? After it`s heated, what is used to "lift off the dye"?

Thanks again!

John-

Deanski
11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
It should be able to be wiped off with 98% alcohol and a cotton rag. Or, use 3M Prepsol or other reducer to take it off. Once off, whichever mineral spirit is used, then take some car wash soap to wash down the area or other APC type cleaner. Even though paints are waterborne now, it still can take mineral spirits to remove tar, dye, bugs etc.

Problem is, not too many follow up and remove any mineral spirits used by washing down the finish and not going right way to mechanical correction or even hand polishing. Depending on the mfg of the clearcoat, some are very durable and some are not.

Deanski

Saintlysins
11-18-2008, 12:20 AM
"DEANSKI" has my 100% backing on this. He definately knows what he`s talking about and gave very good advice. The paints on todays cars are nothing close to what the old-school paints were and need immediate (sometimes multiple) steps to deactivate the (chemical) cleaning agents commonly used today.

OH ... and ALWAYS wash your new rags/mf`s/cloths before using them ... and NEVER EVER leave or rest them on a painted surface.

Sorry I sound like a Marine Drill Instructor ... but seriously ... you`ve made too many mistakes with just one procedure :confused: and I`m scared for the rest of that awesome sled :2thumbs:.

svanderbilt
11-18-2008, 01:13 AM
I call BS on this. $70,000 new car, and installs the clear bra himself?

EBPcivicsi
11-18-2008, 07:17 AM

I see it *all* the time.

Can`t blame the OP for trying, it can be expensive.....

Fastech-Racing
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM

Why in the world would you say BS? It`s not rocket science to put on a giant sticker! We apply graphics all the time on our racing karts...that are a total pain...and WITHOUT any slip solution like the clear bra.

Fastech-Racing
11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I posted replies right after you guys replied but it never got posted...don`t know what happened.

Deanski, thanks for the advice! I`ve have a good amount of experience with installing vinyl graphics. I did a pretty good job for doing this all by myself with no additional hands and for the most part bubble free. Just the problem with the orange bleeding off. Could I just heat this up with a heat gun and rub it off with ethyl alcohol?

Here`s a link to the picture. http://www.fastech-racing.com/gtr_orange.JPG

Again, thanks for the help!!!

Accumulator
11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Deanski and/or Saintlysins- Got a link to those cotton towels?

I`ve never had dye issues using IPA with my MFs but you do have my attention here.. and I *have* had micromarring issues with seemingly soft-enough cotton, so I`d like to know which cotton towels you guys find OK for such wipedowns.

Fastech-Racing- Welcome to Autopia! You won`t go wrong listening to those guys.

Deanski
11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Cotton "towels" if you could call them that, are really small rags used in the computer industry. They are very thin, tight weave. I`ll have to find the vendor that supplies me and follow up on that question.

Now, after looking at the orange bleed-off, I need to know EXACTLY the steps you used, what you used (chemical, physical) and further efforts used to remove.

Did the dealer coat the car with a sealant or long term wax? If so, this can be removed but once removed, you have to ask the dealer which product it was so it can be re-applied on the hood area that was stripped.

As for applying paint film, it`s a bit more to it than you think. This is why I had my Porsche C2S done by a firm that does film on all types of cars and exotics as well.

I`m a bit confused that if you do graphics on other vehicles or off road carts, you should know that some towels bleed dye when a mineral spirit or a distilled spirit is used. I`ve only seen baby diapers, cotton lint free cloths etc, but not MF towels as they still leave some lint.

IPA= Isopropyl Alcohol used to remove oils and wax prior to applying a sealant or in your case, film.

You can use a heat gun, but a very moderate level and use a probe to watch the temp as if it gets too high, guess what happens? This is why I think the best thing for you to do is seek a qualified bodyshop to get the dye off.

The reason I say this is due to lack of experience that I see you may have (not to be taken personally), I would not try to resolve this on your own on this type of vehicle. If it was a beater car, at least if you do slight damage, no real harm. But to make things worse on a 70K car is a bit of a real risk.

Hell, I know enough to take my car to people that do specific things all the time even if I may or may not have the skill level for what has to be done. I do not mind spending the extra $$ and have a clear head.

My next question is. IS THIS YOUR CAR OR A CLIENTS CAR?

If this is a clients car, don`t waste time, get the assistance needed to resolve it.

If this is your own vehicle, then you have a bit more time to speak to other bodyshops that the dealer uses as well as others to see what they have to offer.

As for polishing, always use the mildest polish (not glaze-glaze contain clay to fill) and a finish pad or a foam applicator pad if by hand and work the area and the area around it. Try a mild paint cleanser like P21S Paintwork Cleanser. Try first by applying it on a foam applicator to spread it and get it started, but switch to a cotton baby diaper (washed, no fabric softener) and see if the orange bleed starts to transfer to the diaper. If it does, continue with P21S and diapers until removed. You can warm up the finish a bit to aid the release. Not hot, warm or the polish will flash. Always take your time as it will take some time to correct a finish properly. Always use even pressure and not heavy pressure, let the polish do the work.

Most paintwork cleansers are both abrasive and chemical cleaners, so it can also remove discoloration by the chemical action while the abrasives polish it smooth.

Let me know which way your thinking on getting this resolved and keep this thread updated.

Regards,

Deanski

Deanski
11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Deanski and/or Saintlysins- Got a link to those cotton towels?

I`ve never had dye issues using IPA with my MFs but you do have my attention here.. and I *have* had micromarring issues with seemingly soft-enough cotton, so I`d like to know which cotton towels you guys find OK for such wipedowns.

Fastech-Racing- Welcome to Autopia! You won`t go wrong listening to those guys.

I have to find the vendor that supplies these. They are cotton cloths in reality. Very tightly woven, no nap at all, no lint. Most are a foot square, some are a bit smaller, but work all the same way. Mostly computer supply houses, copier supply houses etc.

If you can clean tape heads and other sensitive parts with these, they are perfect for IPA wipes prior to say filming a finish or prior to sealant application (Zaino).

I`ll have to update the thread when I get the vendor.:think2

Deanski