PDA

View Full Version : Paradox: using abrasive to get rid of swirls?

cloud-9
11-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I put swirls in the paint of my new motorcycle. I use a wet towel to wipe dust off, to photograph the bike. Later I saw swirls (some round, some straight).

I`ve done a lot of reading, and every "swirl remover" I`ve seen uses abrasive. Also, every post I`ve seen says basically you have to use abrasive to get it out.

OK, that makes sense. The scratches are a physical structure, and you have to remove that to remove the swirls.

But, you do it by abrading, which by definition is "scratching" the paint off. So when you are done, you still have scratches or swirls. You can then use progressively finer abrasives but there seems to be a paradox.

You will never be able to get the swirls/scratches you make out without makeing others. The new ones are smaller, but how do you finally move from swirls/scratches to no swirls/scrathes? Doesn`t seem possible with an abrasive.

Thanks....

Chris@Optimum
11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Same principle as sanding, just think about it. Also, look into the concept of paint leveling, there`s a ton of info around.

Setec Astronomy
11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
As you say, you have to get to progressively finer abrasives until the grit size is so small that you can`t see the "swirls" left from it. If you look at anything under a microscope, it looks like the surface of the moon, even highly polished metal or paint.

Holden_C04
11-15-2008, 11:57 PM
This is analogous to your heart; an electric current will stop its beat, but it will also start it again.

Setec Astronomy
11-15-2008, 11:59 PM
This is analogous to your heart; an electric current will stop its beat, but it will also start it again.

That`s a terrible analogy! :p

cloud-9
11-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Wow, fast replies, thanks a lot.

OK, well I guess here`s the other part of my concern. Isn`t the clear coat extremely thin? So abrading takes part of it away? Scares me, frankly.

Chris@Optimum
11-16-2008, 12:01 AM
YouTube - Clean Dean Scratch Demo (www.CleanDean.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPG_1XLT-0))

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Yes, it`s thin, something like .001-.002". But most of those swirls you`re seeing are only a fraction of that. If you spend more time here, you`ll see tons of threads about cleaning/washing techniques to minimize marring, to reduce the number of times that you have to polish it out and thin the clear. The rule of thumb is if the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail in, it`s too deep to remove safely.

Lumadar
11-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Also remember that many abrasive polishes use a diminishing abrasive that brakes down from sharp, large objects into smaller, smooth objects as they are worked on the paint. In theory, they will eventually leave a pretty darn flawless finish.

cloud-9
11-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes, it`s thin, something like .001-.002". But most of those swirls you`re seeing are only a fraction of that. If you spend more time here, you`ll see tons of threads about cleaning/washing techniques to minimize marring, to reduce the number of times that you have to polish it out and thin the clear. The rule of thumb is if the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail in, it`s too deep to remove safely.

So I should just get used to a scratch that my finger nail will catch? Thanks....

I will order a Porter Cable and want to take advantage of the discounts offered new members here (cool!!! Thanks!!!!). Which kit is the most useful?

budman3
11-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Also remember that many abrasive polishes use a diminishing abrasive that brakes down from sharp, large objects into smaller, smooth objects as they are worked on the paint. In theory, they will eventually leave a pretty darn flawless finish.

Perfect answer to the question. :2thumbs: