PDA

View Full Version : Spit Shine

Legacy
11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Has anyone tried to spit shine with a da and a mf bonnet using ice water?

blucpe
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
i`ve done it, but i used chilled qd instead of water. it worked great for me, i used pb`s s&g.:waxing:

Accumulator
11-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Has anyone tried to spit shine with a da and a mf bonnet using ice water?

Not exactly (see below). Have you tried it? I`d be interested to hear how it works...I had a feeling it wouldn`t work out so well so I`ve never done it in the sense of a true, by-machine spit-shine.

i`ve done it, but i used chilled qd instead of water. it worked great for me...

Same approach here, but I usually use Griot`s Speedshine. Oughta work fine with water too. And I`d expect chilled to be good enough, "iced" sounds a bit on the cold side but that`s just a gut-feeling.

I don`t really do a *genuine* spit-shine though, but rather what I refer to as a "pseudo spit-shine". I spritz the QD on, work the wax with my PC/Cyclo until it`s almost gone using a foam finishing pad, but I quit before I`ve worked the wax to the point of "it`s gone" the way you do with a real spit-shine. The light wax residue that`s left to dry is a lot thinner than it would be with a regular wax application though, and I do get a *little* better wax job.

Better, in this case, means a *SLIGHTLY* (as in, am I imagining it :think: ) better gloss and a much more noticeable change in the beading- the beads are more spherical and just *barely* contact the paint; like tiny roller bearings sitting on the vehicle.

I never really like applying the waxes I use via MF, I prefer foam pads. Working the waxes I use on MF bonnets ala genuine spit-shine would almost certainly result in the MF getting too loaded/caked/etc. with wax, it might even lead to micromarring. Again, this is just a gut-feeling, but I`m *so* certain it wouldn`t work out that I`m not gonna try it.

A few times I`ve accidentally come close to doing it: I overworked the wax (this was with #16), sorta like with a geniune spit-shine. In those cases the wax didn`t buff away to nothing but rather left a slight clear residue. It was a *REAL* PIA to buff off the little residue that was left. This is about as close as I`ve come to having #16-removal-issues and it was enough of a hassle to scare me off of doing real spit-shines by machine. Might not have happened with another wax, but I`m afraid to find out.