PDA

View Full Version : Wax stripping question

mrgoochio
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I was curious how important it is to completely strip the wax off my car before I go in to polish it? My car is a weekend car with about 2xxx miles on it (roughly 5 months old) and has only had 1 layer of souveran paste wax on it.. applied in the early days. It`s always garaged so its protected from the weather and has never seen rain. The wax is diminishing (water doesn`t bead as well anymore) but I don`t think its completely gone. So I ask again, how important is it to completely strip the wax before I detail it? I don`t have any dawn dish soap to strip it with and I plan to wash, clay, polish, glaze, and wax it. (meguiars gold, clearkote clay, menzerna polish, clearkote rmg, souveran paste wax)

BigJimZ28
11-06-2008, 01:03 PM
IMO wash, clay & polish should more then take care of 5 onth old souveran

you will be fine and the wax will be stripped

Garry Dean
11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Dawn wash, then proceed with the detail. No more wax!

TSIBrian
11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I would think that whatever souveran is left would be gone after you clay.

Accumulator
11-06-2008, 02:00 PM
I`ve had some issues when polishing without removing a healthy LSP, but I sure wouldn`t worry about not-freshly-applied Souveran.

For that matter, I`ve polished right through *freshly* applied Souveran before, no problem.

David Fermani
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
The wax might be gone, but will the silicone?

mrgoochio
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Well I`m in middle of claying right now, taking a lunch break.. my back is breaking from doing the lower areas of the bumper and I dont think the wax is going to be much of a problem. I`ll probably ease the detail through the next few days and do one step at a time since I have a daily driver as well. I`ll be snapping pics along the way so I`ll be able to post up my first C&B soon :)

stiffdogg06
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Use a strong soap to get rid of the wax before even claying. Like CG`s Citrus stuff. TOL`s Prep Wash, or Dawn.

Accumulator
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM
mrgoochio- Glad to hear it`s going well.

The wax might be gone, but will the silicone?

I`ve never had any silicone issues with Souveran :nixweiss I`ve done all sorts of things along the lines under discussion and also including pre-paint prep, and it`s just never been one of those problematic LSPs.