PDA

View Full Version : Do you wash inbetween detailing steps (glaze, wax, etc)?

pnut
11-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I`ve washed, clay bar`d, then polished out a few scratches using 3m compound and swirl mark remover. Then pre wax cleaner.

The problem is that there is dust in all the cracks and seams, and I am going to wash it before I put on the glaze/sealer (don`t want to seal in any white dust specks).

I`m wondering if others on here also wash between steps?

BigJimZ28
11-06-2008, 09:29 AM
a wash after coumpounding is normal

a quick blast with a powerwasher should take car of it

but I don`t think going from a coumpound to a pre wax cleaner is normal

did you wipe it down and inspect it to see if it need a finner polish?

twistedframe
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I wash after clay and after all my polishing is done. But like jim said, I don`t think I have ever jumped from a compund to a cleaner and gotten good results.

Autogeek
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I usually only give a thorough wash after using a heavily dusting polish/compound. When using WG/Menzerna polishes it`s not necessary, but after using something like M105, it`s usually always mandatory.

pnut
11-06-2008, 10:00 AM
... I don`t think going from a coumpound to a pre wax cleaner is normal. Did you wipe it down and inspect it to see if it need a finner polish?

I should have been more clear, I used 3-m Fine Rubbing compound with PC7424 and orange pad where it was needed. Then I used the PC7424 with a white pad, using 3-m swirl mark remover (fine polish). Then (mostly for the areas I did not have to polish), I used a pre wax cleaner. Removal of the prewax cleaner was easy, but left staticy dust in all the cracks just like the compound.

Next up is wash, glaze/sealer, then wax, more wax, wax again....... Yes I know I get limited returns from layering, but I have found with Mothers California Gold Carnuba paste, that layering can work well.

loudog2
11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I don`t wash in between polishes. I do wash after polishing is done. Quick rinse with pressure washer to get dust out of crevaces, then wash before applying sealant and wax.

stiffdogg06
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I do an IPA wipe down after each compounding/polishing stage to remove any oils or silicone`s that might be covering the swirls.

pnut
11-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I do an IPA wipe down after each compounding/polishing stage to remove any oils or silicone`s that might be covering the swirls.

What is IPA?

blk45
11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
What is IPA?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/113160-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-solution.html

Scottwax
11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Since I do most of my polishing via rotary, I wash after compounding and after the final polishing at least. Depends on how dusty each step is.

Legacy
11-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I should have been more clear, I used 3-m Fine Rubbing compound with PC7424 and orange pad where it was needed. Then I used the PC7424 with a white pad, using 3-m swirl mark remover (fine polish). Then (mostly for the areas I did not have to polish), I used a pre wax cleaner. Removal of the prewax cleaner was easy, but left staticy dust in all the cracks just like the compound.

Next up is wash, glaze/sealer, then wax, more wax, wax again....... Yes I know I get limited returns from layering, but I have found with Mothers California Gold Carnuba paste, that layering can work well.

I don`t understand why you are having dusting after using a paint cleaner. What paint cleaner are you using?