PDA

View Full Version : Accord08 matte trim waxable?

shadow85
11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
http://nkhan.jwmediabox.com/blog/wp-content/6809212.jpg

I was wondering if the grey interior matte trim line was waxable. I want to give it a little but gloss. The silver trim on the steering wheel is glossy. So is that something I can wax?

Accumulator
11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I don`t think I`d try that; it`d be a real PIA if it didn`t work out.

I`d try to find an interior dressing that gives the look you want. Wonder if Meg`s Interior QD might do it :think:

Dan
11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I`d might try it with a wax that isn`t know to stain trim. I wouldn`t put sealant on it though.

Accumulator
11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Guess it`s kinda funny that I said :nono considering how I LSP *exterior* trim so much :think:

Wonder how FK425 would work for this...

imported_etml12
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Assuming that the materials are in my 8th gen civic are the same I don`t see any harm using protectants on the glossy steering wheel trim. However, the audio/HVAC fascia and other trim pieces which are hard matte plastic could pose some unique problems.

IME the use of interior protectants (i.e. a heavy coat of 303 or Blackfire`s interior protectant) can alter the look and feel significantly. May be what your going for. Also, I think Accumulator might be on to something with the 425 (I wonder how Z8 or Aquawax would do?).

shadow85
11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
So far it looks like the steering might be ok for waxing. as for the trim, that 425 looks like something that might work. but i am scared.

BigAl3
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
is this your accord?

tom p.
11-08-2008, 07:43 AM
I`ve got one of these cars and can`t imagine trying to apply wax to these surfaces. Maybe something on the steering wheel would be OK.

I think auto mfrs generally use matte finishes on dashboards to minimize glare and reflection. There are smooth surfaces around the radio/HVAC controls and a 1"wide strip that runs the entire width of the dash. I guess you could "play" on those surfaces and see if you like the result. The rest of the surfaces are traditional textured plastic that I think you could apply your favorite protectant to - - something that has a bit of UV protection would be nice.

Personally, I`ve got both of 1Z`s interior sprays, that`s what I`ll ultimately use. One of them, I think the Tiefenpfleger, does leave a bit of gloss. To date, I`ve never done anything to these surfaces in my car apart from a quick wipe down with a damp WW towel when I`m done drying the car. I have the light colored "ivory" interior.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/449/5596ix0.jpg

Accumulator
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
.. To date, I`ve never done anything to these surfaces in my car apart from a quick wipe down with a damp WW towel when I`m done drying the car...[/IMG]

I first quit using stuff on the dog-haulers and it worked out OK so I gradually quit using dressings/etc. on the good cars too, at least for the most part.

I`ll wax interior wood, and I do like using the Meguiar`s Interior QD, but it seems like my interiors hold up just fine without doing stuff I used to consider necessary :nixweiss

shadow85
11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes. The black matte smooth trim line under the textured panel. I want to make it a bit more reflective. Want it to match the reflective property of the steering. I am not trying to wax anything else. maybe i will open the door and try it on the side.