PDA

View Full Version : ONR and grout sponge

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blade9
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Sorry if everyone knows this already. I`ve always used MF towels with ONR, lately it`s been the Cobra 530 Supreme. Well, I tried a grout sponge from Home Depot today. Boy, that sponge really trapped a lot of dirt. After my wash, I rinsed the sponge in about 2 gal of clean water in a white bucket, squeezing it every which way. I tell ya, that water turned murky gray in seconds, but happy to say, there was no solid grit at the bottom. I had to rinse it a couple more times after that until the water was clear. Wow, so that`s where most of the dirt goes (or at least the non-marring type of dirt)!!

This is how my ONR solution looked after washing a week`s worth of dirt on my daily driver with the HD GS (but before washing the wheels):

http://www.voguehost.com/ims/u/blade/Picz/ONR-bucket.jpg

I started with clean water and then rinse the GS and this is how the bucket looked like. Note this trapped dirt was only from the panels, I didn`t wash the wheels with the sponge:

http://www.voguehost.com/ims/u/blade/Picz/ONR-GS-rinse.jpg

BigAl3
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
IME, the grout sponges do a better job of cleaning than mitts...

Blade9
11-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Yah, it looks like it. I think I`ll buy more!

BigAl3
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM
also... go to your local lowes and try the proline GS as well... :up

A Better Grout Sponge - Autopia.org (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/101657-better-grout-sponge.html)

E300Diesel
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Someone help me out here... I thought grout sponges were abrasive...

BigJimZ28
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Someone help me out here... I thought grout sponges were abrasive...

a.) try a search there are countless threads here

where most people like them and find that they are not abrasive

b.) go to Lowes and spend the $1.97 and see for you self if you like it

BigAl3
11-12-2008, 12:52 PM
a.) try a search there are countless threads here

where most people like them and find that they are not abrasive

b.) go to Lowes and spend the $1.97 and see for yourself if you like it

agreed, just like anything else... it may or may not be for some...

p.s. i`ve been using the zymol sponge for a while and i still favor the lowes GS more. time will tell on how the zymol sponge holds up, and if i change my mind after using it some more...

dublifecrisis
11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
i keep forgetting to try this. I have a couple of the Lowes GS and I`ve only used them for traditional 2BM washes. Next ONR I will try it.

Inzane
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I bought a grout sponge today from Home Depot. ($3.99 CDN, I`m in Canada) It was the kind that is packaged in a bag, sold separately. It had a white/clear stiffer side and the main yellow side. It seemed to be the only "grout" sponge they sold in the store. Is that the right one to use?

PS - I don`t think there are any Lowes stores in Canada, at least not outside of maybe Ontario. I may have to get someone to mail me a couple from the US.

dkblue05
11-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I defiantly would not let the white side touch paint!!

Sometimes they are in weird places but i would look for one without the white

arfax
11-16-2008, 02:28 PM
I bought a grout sponge today from Home Depot. ($3.99 CDN, I`m in Canada) It was the kind that is packaged in a bag, sold separately. It had a white/clear stiffer side and the main yellow side. It seemed to be the only "grout" sponge they sold in the store. Is that the right one to use?

PS - I don`t think there are any Lowes stores in Canada, at least not outside of maybe Ontario. I may have to get someone to mail me a couple from the US.

That`s weird, i got one from HD in Vancouver and it was 1.97 even though the tag said 2.99. Even their website doesn`t say 3.99.

dkblue05
11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
The regular sponges are cheaper than the ones with the white side IIRC

Inzane
11-16-2008, 03:06 PM
That`s weird, i got one from HD in Vancouver and it was 1.97 even though the tag said 2.99. Even their website doesn`t say 3.99.

Hmmm... you`re right. Looks like I was jipped. I`ll have to take it back (haven`t opened it yet).

I guess I`ll try another store location, and take the SKU# (which the website nicely provided) with me.

BigAl3
11-16-2008, 03:20 PM
the grout sponge to get at HD are the ones made by superiorbilt, and are sold loose. you`ll find them inside a clear hanging dispenser on the end of an aisle...

Inzane
11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I can`t believe I`m pursuing the idea of using a "sponge" to wash my cars...

That`s CRAZY talk!!! :nervous2: