PDA

View Full Version : Teenager left the windows open...rained in!!!

vjberkley
09-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Can anyone tell us how to best deal with rainwater in the car. We have upholstered seats. It is pretty well soaked and we are concerned about mildew. Please help.

Poorboy
09-24-2005, 12:12 PM
use a wet/dry shop vac or an extractor if you have one...or you if you have neither, you can go to any Home Depot or Lowe`s and rent one or you can go to almost any Supermarket and rent a shampooer which usually has an attachment for upholstery .

After you vacuum it the best you can, leave the car out in the sun with the windows cracked just a little and it should be fine...

Jngrbrdman
09-24-2005, 01:49 PM
You might also want to rent one of those large carpet drying fans at Home Depot. You need to get the car dried out and usually if it is colder outside or humid then it isn`t that easy to air dry a car. I would suggest what Steve did and try to suck as much water out as you can and then get a fan in there to dry the rest. You may have to spend money to fix the problem, but that is the way most problems get solved. Leaving the windows down works in July, but I don`t know how effective that will be this time of year.

Hawaiianelement
09-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Look in the phone book and get estimates from some Detailers . If the cars interior is dirty you can have it cleaned also while he`ll be extracting the soaked carpets and seats.

Don
09-26-2005, 04:59 AM
If you have enough room, get a home dehumidifier and run in in the car with all the windows closed. I have done this several times on minivans and it works great. (you might be able to put a small one on the back floor with the front seat all the way forward and/or the rear seat bottom removed)

vjberkley
09-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the help. It is really appreciated. Looks like the problem is all taken care of. :)