PDA

View Full Version : Interesting conversation with Edge

FLY996
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I have Flex and have been reading that I can get more correction if a 4" pad is used vs a 6" pad. I called Edge the other day ready to order the adapter. I planned on ordering the Cyclo 4" pads as well. The guy from Edge said I would get the same correction on a Flex using a 6" or 4" pad (assuming similar pad density). He said the reason for getting the adapter is so I could use the double sided pads. I was kinda surprised by his comments and did not place an order because I don`t go thru enough 6" pads to warrant the extra expense. Did the guy from Edge know what he was talking about?????

Todd@RUPES
11-02-2008, 10:58 PM
On a FAKE D/A like a Porter Cable, a smaller pad will act more aggressive.

On a Circular Polisher (rotary/high-speed/variable speed) a smaller pad will act less aggressive.

On a true D/A (Dual Action- both the ocsillation of the Porter Cable and the circular rotation of a Circular Polisher) such as the Flex I would imagine it is a comprimise of both. The smaller pad is going to free up the motor, but the smaller pad is also rotating slower, reducing cut.

If the flex is bogging down with a larger pad then swapping to a smaller pad might focus that energy on a smaller area and increase the action. But if the machine isn`t bogging you are likely to see no change in the cut level.

backwoods_lex
11-03-2008, 12:04 AM
On a FAKE D/A like a Porter Cable, a smaller pad will act more aggressive.

On a Circular Polisher (rotary/high-speed/variable speed) a smaller pad will act less aggressive.

On a true D/A (Dual Action- both the ocsillation of the Porter Cable and the circular rotation of a Circular Polisher) such as the Flex I would imagine it is a comprimise of both. The smaller pad is going to free up the motor, but the smaller pad is also rotating slower, reducing cut.

If the flex is bogging down with a larger pad then swapping to a smaller pad might focus that energy on a smaller area and increase the action. But if the machine isn`t bogging you are likely to see no change in the cut level.

That`s what I was thinking. I have no idea how much the flex bogs down though (but I`m assuming it does).

Junebug
11-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Well, I weigh 223 pounds and I couldn`t get the Flex to bog with me - using 6.5" orange LC pads.