PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine proper diliution ratio for APC?

Pages : [1] 2

simplybao
11-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I just got some Hi-Temp APC from TOL and have no clue how to dilute it for different uses.

Is it safe to use on wheels? According to the bottle, it only says to use it full strength to clean the engine bay, but no other advice is given.

I know that you use it diluted more if you are going to use it on paint, so what ratio should I dilute it for these uses:

Wheel cleaning

Wheel wells

Tar and road grime from the body, will it remove my LSP? I`m using Collinite.

Engine bay -- should I really use it full strength?

My final question is when I see a ratio of say 3:1, does that mean 3 parts of chemical to 1 part water?

I do not plan on using it for anything inside the car. I use Lexol, Blackfire, woolite (diluted) and 303 on my interiors.

Accumulator
11-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I just got some Hi-Temp APC from TOL and have no clue how to dilute it for different uses.

Is it safe to use on wheels? According to the bottle, it only says to use it full strength to clean the engine bay, but no other advice is given..

I really dunno...I wouldn`t use it on wheels but that`s just me; I use shampoo mix if they`re LSPed or dedicated wheel cleaner (Griot`s or P21s) if they`e not.

It`s (probably) not like it`ll do any immediate damage, lots of APCs are OK to use on wheels. It might not be something you want to use long-term though, as any issues (damage to the finish) will usually be very incremental/gradual so you won`t notice it until it`s too late (this happened to somebody who used Simple Green on his VW`s wheels, he was happy for a long time, then he had to get `em refinished).

I know that you use it diluted more if you are going to use it on paint, so what ratio should I dilute it for these uses:

I just dilute my APCs by eye. Yeah, I know, "big help" huh? But once you get an idea what`s right it`s pretty easy to be consistent *enough* knowing how it looks when it`s to your liking.

Better get some input from somebody who`s actually used the TOL stuff (or call TOL and ask, they`re very helpful- "Hi, Irene!").

Very general guidelines follow:

Wheel cleaning- Pretty diluted, maybe 3:1 water:APC

Wheel wells- Generally ess diluted, maybe 2:1 or weaker, depends how dirty they are.

Tar and road grime from the body- I wouldn`t do this, might strip your LSP even with Collinite, though it doesn`t always.

Engine bay -- should I really use it full strength?- Yes.

My final question is when I see a ratio of say 3:1, does that mean 3 parts of chemical to 1 part water?- Beats me, call and ask :nixweiss In this case I woulda guessed it`s 3 water : 1 APC but I`d rather err on the side of caution

In any event, better too weak (oops, add more APC) than too strong (oops, how to repair?).

Sorry I wan`t of more help with this, I use the same APC (EF High-Intensity) year-in-year-out in part because I know how I like to dilute it. But all I use it for under normal circumstances are undercarriages and the wheelwells of daily drivers. I don`t take the "All Purpose" bit all that literally but that`s just me.

For engine compartments, once I get `em clean (P21s TAW and or dedicated engine cleaners) I just keep `em that way with a quickie cleanup at every wash using shampoo mix. I don`t have to *really* clean things up with aggressive stuff again for years.

simplybao
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was just experimenting and bought it on a whim. I really like the idea of having dedicated cleaners for stuff, but I think I`ve read too much autopia the last few days. My partner says that I`m supposed to be banned from the site because everytime I visit the site, I want something else.

TOL is close to my parents` house and I go there to pick up stuff from time to time. It`s hard for me to go in there and not feel like a kid in a candy store. And they are so helpful and let me walk through the store room in case I didn`t see something on the store floor that I can`t live without...LOL.

It`s also nice going into the store because I don`t have to pay shipping and sometimes when I buy enough stuff, they throw in free stuff :D

Accumulator
11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
simplybao- OOOH...I`m envious, living near TOL would be great :D

simplybao
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
simplybao- OOOH...I`m envious, living near TOL would be great :D

Yeah and it can be expensive....really expensive, LOL.

Those guys are so nice up there. They just make you want to buy more from them. My brother and I have been buying from them for years. Up until recently, it`s only been a few things here and there car wash soap, TOL Trade Secret, applicators, small stuff. My brother bought his cyclo there (the one he gave me). He`s moved on to a PC and a Makita, so lucky me :D

Blade9
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Without any other instructions, I guess you`d have to go at it trial-and-error. I`ve been using Optimum Power Clean for about a month now. All it says on the jug is use full-strength for tough grime and stain. Then it goes on and on about diluting it "up to" 1:3 for this and that. I guess that means anything more than 1:3 is no longer effective as a cleaner.

Accumulator
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
... it goes on and on about diluting it "up to" 1:3 for this and that. I guess that means anything more than 1:3 is no longer effective as a cleaner.

Don`t be so sure ;) IME manufacturers want to make sure their products seem effective (and, well, they want you to go through it and buy more) so they tend to recommend pretty strong mixtures.

phatkid77
01-17-2009, 06:01 AM
well, i was going to start a new thread, but "sometimes" i search first and found this thread

my understanding ( i googled, cause i didnt know) is a 10:1 mixture is say for 1 litre... 0.9 water, 0.10 of product,

4:1 would be 0.8 water. 0.20 product

Mixing Ratio Calculator (http://www.flexocleaners.com/mixcalc.asp)

speaking of APC..what is really good..?

i bought some 303 spot remover and KLEENOL APC to see which i like better

from reading here, the most common ratios seem to be 10:1 and 5:1, so i may grab 2 spray bottles and mix it up....if i read correctly 10:1 for carpets should be good?

looking for some recommendations here, mix up 2 or is one or the other perfect for most jobs anyway>?

cory

Driven Auto Detail
01-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Meguiar`s Detailer Line APC/APC+ are the general favorites I believe. Dilution ratios are 10:1 for light cleaning and 4:1 for heavy cleaning.

Detailer Line (http://autodetailingsolutions.net/detailer-line.html)

salty
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
First off you could phone or e-mail TOTL, they are always ready to help.

I usually dilute more than they say as Accumulator said, better to be safe and you can always add more.

Also some times it amazes me that these APC`s are so weak. I know they want to sell more chemical but if you are doing any amount of cleaning you are going through it pretty fast.

My normal APC i dilute 4:1 for engines and wet tires. 15:1 to 40:1 for interiors and carpet.

jayh2301
01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
yea just shoot them a email they will help...........

Accumulator
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
my understanding ( i googled, cause i didnt know) is a 10:1 mixture is say for 1 litre... 0.9 water, 0.10 of product,

4:1 would be 0.8 water. 0.20 product..

Wrong on your first example, right on your second ;)

10:1 = ten parts + one part = 11 parts (1.10 liters total)

Which is why certain dilutions are a PIA to figure out when you just want to "mix up a gallon/liter of stuff". And.. that`s why dilution calculators like the one in your link are handy :D

Fortunately it seldom really matters if you`re all that precise or not.

speaking of APC..what is really good..?

Ask ten people and you`ll get eleven different responses. I like EF High Intensity but that`s just because I`m use to it.

phatkid77
01-17-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah, well i will be making 32oz likely so im facked either way...lol

phats

Accumulator
01-17-2009, 04:24 PM
yeah, well i will be making 32oz likely so im facked either way..

Eh...call it 33 ounces (there`re your multiples of eleven) instead of 32 and that 10:1 will work out OK :D That`s so close you`ll never know the diff, just make the third ounce of APC a little short.

phatkid77
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
EH..nice touch..lol

BTW my 10:1 example was .9L of water and .10 of APC

ill still screw it up..oh well