PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my G35 this weekend(advice appreciated)

zxert
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
So I`m planning to do a full detail on my g35 this weekend atleast on the exterior.

I ordered a PC7424 and the Pinnacle XMT Intermediate swirl remover kit. Additionally I have a few other products I can go to.

I spent a few hours the other day with a drawing pad making diagrams of all the issues with the paint I can see. For the most part its predominantly medium to heavy water etching on all horizontal surfaces. There are medium to light swirls on all panels, around 20 or so smaller polishable rids, 1 or 2 primer deep rids, and the illustrious "***" thats written on top of my trunk lid. My cousin wrote "***" with his finger not knowing it would mar my paint(If he wasn`t my cousin he would`ve ate a knuckle sandwich).

Heres how my plan goes...

-Wash with dawn to remove all wax

-Clay with Megs White(also have Z-18 and Mothers California gold clay) and QD as lube

-50/50 isa wipedown/ Or another Dawn wash

-Test panel of XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover polish with PC7424 on LC white pad(lightest cut first)

-I may switch to XMT #3 if the cut isn`t deep enough(also have orange and green LC pads)

-50/50 wipe down with a final look over

-XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze

After glazing is where I`m stuck at. I didn`t order any decent wax or sealant. Heres a list of what I`ve got.

Zaino Z-2

Megs Carnauba paste wax

Megs Carnauba liquid wax

Mothers Carnauba liquid wax

My car is Twilight Blue which has a bunch of beautiful metal flake in it. From what I`ve read Carnauba wax will only mask the brightness of the flake while darkening the paint. So my gut tells me to do 2 layers of Z-2 with 24hrs in between. Sadly I have no ZFX on hand to help cure faster.

Also I`ll be re-finishing my driver side rear wheel entirely. I curbed it 360deg around in a taco bell drive through. My plan is to go for Duplicolor wheel paint wet sanding between every coat with 3 or 4 coats of clear.

One quick question as well, I don`t have anything short of armor all to dress my wheel wells with. Does anyone know of a good OTC dressing I can pick up? Around here I`ve got Kragen, Autozone, PepBoys, Walmart, and I think thats it. Any help/critiques are appreciated.

I`ll be providing a full detail write up with before and afters in the C&B section. My first of many. Thanks guys.

zaxjax
10-31-2008, 02:36 PM
After XMT 3, I would follow up with XMT 1 and you may need a final polish to really perfect the paint.

Meguiar`s Hot Shine is an ok OTC tire gel

Good luck with the detail

Inzane
10-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Megs Carnauba paste wax

Megs Carnauba liquid wax

Sorry I have to :rofl at that. Meguiars have SO MANY variations of their waxes, the first obvious question would be WHICH ones do you have.

zxert
10-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Meguiars Carnauba Cleaner Wax is whats on the tin and bottle.

Greggk300c
11-01-2008, 02:19 AM
you can put carnuba on top of zaino? i was told you shouldnt....