PDA

View Full Version : "Protected" Leather recommendations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

reggie11
10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
So I have found out my G35 has protected/finished/clearcoated leather and it appears the Sonus conditioner isn`t really helping keep my leather "conditioned" as it isn`t being absorbed. Actually judyb said this could actually be making it worse as the conditioner attracts the dirt and oil.

I have looked at all the protected leather posts on here and still not sure what action to take. I have read on the G35Driver forum that a lot of people are having good luck with Zaino but I am thinking it is the same as the sonus and won`t be absorbed. I was thinking maybe using my Lexol to clean and then using some 303 to protect it. I like the matte finish though and I am worried the 303 will give it a satin or glossy finish.

What products do you guys use to protect this type of leather and will leave a nice matte finish? It Zaino worth giving a try??

I appreciate the help.

:thx

Rich

zxert
10-31-2008, 12:09 PM
^^^^ Same here ^^^^

G35 coupe with leather.

We`re both in the same boat. Cleaning with Lexol cleaner but I`m stuck as far as how to protect.

Any advice is appreciated.

Patek14
10-31-2008, 05:43 PM
try optimum leather protectant/protectant plus? According to the company its made for vinyl and coated leather

Next interiod detail I do, I`ll probably use the lexus branded leather cleaner and the follow up w/ OPP/OLP

imported_Grouse
10-31-2008, 06:34 PM
leather masters strong cleaner and leather masters protection cream

both available at Detailers Domain.

If you search under my name Grouse and Leather you will get a lot of posts on leather.

reggie11
10-31-2008, 07:59 PM
I think I am going to try the OPP. I read up on it at autogeek and everyone has high recommendations for it. It appears it will give it the matte finish I am looking for. I will let you know the results once I try it out. I appreciate the help.

I was thinking of trying the leather masters a while back but it is a little to pricey for me.

imported_Grouse
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
I have both, and 1z, zymol, swiss wax, cg, adams, pb. ect. the only thing that comes close to LM products are the 11z leather phledge.

I`ve used LM for the better part of 10 years. a quart of protection cream has lasted over 5 years and over 400 clients. It simply does not take much once the seats are clean.

Quality Leather
11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I have both, and 1z, zymol, swiss wax, cg, adams, pb. ect. the only thing that comes close to LM products are the 11z leather phledge.

I`ve used LM for the better part of 10 years. a quart of protection cream has lasted over 5 years and over 400 clients. It simply does not take much once the seats are clean.

Umm, that is roughly a tenth of an ounce per client. You can`t be putting much on the seats.

As for LM, it is ok but overpriced. I would bypass the cleaner for the DIY woolite solution and Scotch Brite delicate duty pad.

zxpwr
11-05-2008, 11:15 PM
i have a nissan Z, not sure if the leather finish is the same as the G. I`ve cleaned and treated it with Lexol and worked just fine... just had to let the conditioner sip in the leather for a long time (half a day I believe) and the finish wasn`t shinny nor sticky...

judyb
11-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Conditioners are not necessary and in some cases could lead to damage of the finish over the long term. The only good `conditioner` for your leather is water.

We do not recommend steam cleaning on leather and find with the use of good quality cleaning products that it is unnecessary and time consuming although on the other areas of your car it is probably worthwhile.

Most auto leather (99.9%) has a pigment coating (colour) with a clear coat polyurethane or nitrocellulose finish on it which makes it hard wearing. Whilst these coatings have to remain porous to moisture (transpiration must occur - the movement of moisture back and forth through the leather) they cannot absorb oils waxes etc. at any great rate. As most `conditioners` contain some form of oil or wax this means that those cannot be absorbed through the coating to do any good for the leather itself. If left on the surface of the leather they will attract more dirt to the finsih on the leather which will over time break down the surface - hence a protector is a much better option.

All `natural` oils and fats are removed from the hide during the tanning process and the oils and fats that are reintroduced into the leather during the retanning process (manufactured ones) are sealed in and do not escape from the leather. To try to replace these oils (which is not necessary) is not a process that can be done by adding creams and `conditioners` to the leather. In dry leather it is the moisture level that has altered and it is this that needs rebalancing.

Keeping leather clean and hydrated is the key to keeping leather in good condition and although commercial `conditioners` may give a brief `feel good factor` there may be more long term implications in thier use.

Use a water based foam cleaner (the safest way to clean leather) followed by a water based fluorochemical protector (LM is good but there are higher quality ones available). You should only need to use a very small amount of a good protector which will be the consistency of milk, any that are a cream like product have had thickeners added which dilutes the strength of the protection.

David Fermani
11-06-2008, 05:40 AM
I can`t believe that there`s so many leather products on the market that damage or do nothing to leather. Someone should do a Consumer Reports article on them.

Junebug
11-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks Judy! That was great advice and David - you`re on to something, it`d be cool if the guys from MythBusters could do a test.

reggie11
11-06-2008, 07:11 AM
water based fluorochemical protector (LM is good but there are higher quality ones available).

Can you please give us a few more examples other then LM?

jfelbab
11-06-2008, 07:53 AM
The manufacturer of my vehicle (Lexus) states that I should use a cleaner like Woolite for cleaning my leather. I use Woolite/water diluted in a 1:10 ratio with a foam sponge for cleaning. Works great. I don`t use excessive amounts of this solution and buff dry after cleaning.

The supplier of the leather seats, GST AutoLeather, also suggest this same cleaning approach and states that an occasional conditioner may be beneficial.

I have several leather sofas ands chairs in my home as well and on them I use the LM stuff too. LM is virtually odorless, cleans well and the conditioner goes on thin and spreads evenly. It dries nicely and buffs to a nice, non-oily luster that leaves the leather soft and buttery. I get great results from LM on all my protected leathers. If there is a better product I`d like to hear what it is, Judy.

David Fermani
11-06-2008, 08:49 AM
jfelbab - if you have Leather Masters products, can you explain why you are still using Woolite?

I`ve been dabbling with Woolite over the last few months and I`ve noticed that it cleans nice, but kinda leaves a soft coating on the surface? I then spray the surface down with water and it goes away. I`ve been mixing 1 capful to 1 quart of water.

judyb - what are your thoughts on Woolite as a leather cleaner? Do you see anything in this product that is detrimental to leather?

jfelbab
11-06-2008, 12:57 PM
jfelbab - if you have Leather Masters products, can you explain why you are still using Woolite?

I often run out of the LM cleaner and while I just take the empty LM bottles back to the store for free replacement, I will use Woolite until I get there because it works well. I apply with a closed cell foam sponge and wipe dry with a MF. I follow with a damp MF wipedown and finish by buffing dry with another MF. I don`t notice anything left on the surface when I finish.

I see no difference in the results from the use of LM cleaner or Woolite.

I purchased the LM kit from the store where I bought my leather sofas and they recommend quarterly use. The LM kit from them comes with lifetime replenishment.