PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for eco friendly products?

Pages : [1] 2

Bigpikle
10-31-2008, 04:40 AM
Seems like a head of steam is building up in this section, with some good stuff being discussed :goodjob

The piece that is still missing for me is knowing what products ARE considered suitable for eco friendly detailing?

There are some obvious ones, like ONR washing, but can we pull together a list of products that would meet the criteria, ideally stuff that is fairly mainstream and available in the US and internationally?

I would like suggestions for:

1. wheel cleaner

2. glass cleaner

3. polishes - possibly not a category that might have the biggest impact

4. waxes & sealants - some seem to have a very high level of solvents etc

5. towels & cloths - any recycled ones available or any that can be recycled easily?

6. degreasers

7. QD`s

I`m not exactly sure what the standard is, but maybe people can post recommendations with their rationale for why they recommend it.

thanks

Damon

reparebrise
10-31-2008, 05:31 AM
The easy reply would be Optimum products, that said most companys claim to have eco safe products. Your best key is to read the MSDS sheets, and follow your gut. Even though a product is listed as green, eco, or bio degradable, only the MSDS sheet can tell the truth.

One way to be eco friendly is to use the least amount of products possible, regardless of there eco friendliness. From there chose products that show on there MSDS sheets, no shipping restrictions, no health hazards, and no controled chemicals. Chosing waterbased products is a step in the right direction, also no VOC emmissions, no solvents, NO ACIDS, and no silicones.

A good APC can be used as a degreaser, wheel cleaner, uphosltery cleaner, and engine cleaner, and many are very eco and user safe.

Chose a wax that leaves little residue(less waste in product, and less work for you) to remove, and polishes that present little dusting, that way any residue goes in your cloth, which in turn goes to your washing machine, and once there goes through proper waste water management.

Bigpikle
10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
thanks - good thoughts on product choice...

I have decided so far on the following:

1. wash - ONR

2. degreaser/wheel cleaner - Bilt Hamber Surfex HD (http://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd.html) (water based and can be used down to 1% solution effectively)

more to follow....

MCWD
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I would suggest reviewing the entire Optimum product line. You will pleasantly surprised!

Bigpikle
11-03-2008, 01:07 AM
I would suggest reviewing the entire Optimum product line. You will pleasantly surprised!

thanks - I already have OOS & OCWv2 so they fit nicely :2thumbs:

some of the other stuff is harder to get over here though :(

MCWD
11-21-2008, 02:24 PM
The easy reply would be Optimum products, that said most companys claim to have eco safe products. Your best key is to read the MSDS sheets, and follow your gut. Even though a product is listed as green, eco, or bio degradable, only the MSDS sheet can tell the truth.

One way to be eco friendly is to use the least amount of products possible, regardless of there eco friendliness. From there chose products that show on there MSDS sheets, no shipping restrictions, no health hazards, and no controled chemicals. Chosing waterbased products is a step in the right direction, also no VOC emmissions, no solvents, NO ACIDS, and no silicones.

A good APC can be used as a degreaser, wheel cleaner, uphosltery cleaner, and engine cleaner, and many are very eco and user safe.

Chose a wax that leaves little residue(less waste in product, and less work for you) to remove, and polishes that present little dusting, that way any residue goes in your cloth, which in turn goes to your washing machine, and once there goes through proper waste water management.

Do you have anything that you use which is similar in performance to a solvent, but is eco-friendly?

AeroCleanse
11-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I like steam for cleaning.

Look at System One Polish.

DrivingImpressions
11-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Can`t get any more eco friendly than steam!

MCWD
11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes steaming is the best method for sure... just I would like to see something that may be able to remove tar spots without having to wait 20mins heating up.

Mr. Stewart
11-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I had a detailing contract at a parking garage for many years and then one day they told me that the garage was going green and that my company could no longer use water to clean cars. So I searched and searched for an alturnitive to cleaning cars without water run off. We get alot of muddy cars so I was not going to use the spray on wipe dirt into paint solution. Our detail/car wash was on the bottom level of a parking garage (4 floors underground) so I did not want to do the reclaim thing. Besides the garage management was not real hip on that idea anyway. So my solution was to wash cars via high pressure steam. I did some reaserch on high pressure steam machines and there were not many good ones in the USA. So I found a Manufacture in South Korea that makes great high pressure steam machines. So I bought it from them and imported it into the States. Importing a big machine like that was a pain in the you know what! I spent about $7,500 for the machine after it was all said and done. The machine is awesome but I no longer have the need for it. After I spent all the time and money getting the machine brought here for South Korea the garage management change their mind about washing cars with the steam. So now I have an expensive machine collecting dust. If any need a way to go green and wash cars without any water run off this is the way to go. I am selling the machine for $4,500 and taking a big loss. The machine has only been used about 10 times.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/stewartdetailing/CP-9020.gif

YouTube - Steam Car Wash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqyFfsus5w)

Bigpikle
11-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I watched your video but dont see how that helps? You surely are just using the same cloth to pick up dirt and wipe it over the entire car... That truck didnt look dirty but whatever you pick up is being wiped all over it?

How does steam alone clean the muck off it? It doesnt look that hot as you`re steaming your hand constantly?

Mr. Stewart
11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
The truck was not real dirty so it didn`t take much to get it real clean. If you were cleaning something that was dirty I would recommend using more than one rag. The steam is about 200 degrees close to the tip of the gun. 6 inches or more away from the tip of the gun the heat is bearable. If you get any closer then that you will have problems. This machine is awesome on interiors.

Lumadar
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
The steam didn`t burn your hand?

I have a steamer for interiors, engines, etc, and that thing is freaking insanely hot...you even get near the steam and you KNOW it.

MCWD
11-24-2008, 11:05 PM
The steam didn`t burn your hand?

I have a steamer for interiors, engines, etc, and that thing is freaking insanely hot...you even get near the steam and you KNOW it.

I agree with you on that one! My steamer doesn`t feel nice when you get hit with a shot.:buffing:

Big Leegr
11-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Not sure if you can get this in England, but in the US and Canada, one can get a polish (actually a wax/sealant, no correction) and a glass cleaner from John Deere (The tractor and equipment company) that are made from Soy and such. I like the glass cleaner quite a bit. The "polish" was ok, from what I remember (used it years ago) but I was expecting it to to do some cleaning/polishing, not just protection, so that may have skewed my satisfaction with the product.