PDA

View Full Version : Black Lambswool pad reviews?

Pages : [1] 2

AudiOn19s
10-29-2008, 07:34 AM
I`ve been seeing several blurbs about the black lambswool pads floating around but unless I`ve missed it I don`t think I`ve seen a full blown thread on them. I`d love to hear some feedback and reviews on them from individiduals that have used them. I`ve never turned back to foam for cutting via rotary after finding the Purple Foam`d wool pads and would love to hear more on the black esp in comparison to the Purple that I`m using now.

Specifically I believe this is the pad I`ve been hearing about.

Micro-Surface - Item Detail (http://www.micro-surface.com/default.cfm?page_id=90&ID=6MLB36L3&storeid=1)

Thanks

Andy

Todd@RUPES
10-29-2008, 07:45 AM
I don`t like them. To me it has a little more cut, doesn`t finish nearly as nice... (not that it matters since you should do atleast 2 steps after the PFW as well).

imported_weekendwarrior
10-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I haven`t had a chance to use mine yet, but Bryan "gmblack3a" was able to take out some pretty good LoveBug etching on the front of a Viper with one...when nothing else was able to touch it.

wannafbody
10-29-2008, 08:05 AM
I like the yellow Edge wool pads.

blk45
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I don`t like them. To me it has a little more cut, doesn`t finish nearly as nice... (not that it matters since you should do atleast 2 steps after the PFW as well).

Which wool pads do you like Todd?

David Fermani
10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I`ve been using Micro Surface`s Black Lambs Wool (BLW) pads since the 90`s and I love them. After getting disgusted with how crappy PFW holds up, I won`t buy another one again. I still have BLW pads from years ago that have been used on atleast 10 vehicles and their still holding up great. You`re lucky to have a PFW last 1 vehicle without dying. If you contact Micro-Surface, I`m sure they`ll be more than happy to send you a sample to try. I sent some invitations out to a few people here a couple months back(after asking Micro-Surface for permission) and many received samples and loved them. I suggest trying them; there`s nothing to loose.

gmblack3
10-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Yes I happened to receive one pad as a sample. (thanks David!)

After trying out every combo that I or Rydawg could think of on a new Viper ACR, Ryan suggested that I try it with the Menzerna P0203s. I could not believe how well the combo worked. As David said the viper had love bug etching, the combo cuts a little on the slow side, but even a soft blue edge wool was really hammering the fickle clear on this new viper. The black lambs wool and P0203s removed all of the defects (pigtails and sanding scratches), plus the surface only needed 2 more steps to make the paint perfect.

I also tried the purple foamed wool with SIP and it took more then a few passes of the next polishing step to get the "wool effect" out.

I ordered 6 of the lambs wool pads from Micro surface last week. 2 each of the following: 4,5 and 6". Unfortunately 5 of the 6 pads arrived with the backing material not even on the pad. So I will call Micro surface this week and get them replaced.

joyriiide1113
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I love them. So does a local detailer in my area (Scheerspeed) who I gave a sample to. They are so soft and dense and really finish off well for wool.

imported_rydawg
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I absolutely LOVE them!

imported_rydawg
10-29-2008, 10:10 PM
I`ve been using Micro Surface`s Black Lambs Wool (BLW) pads since the 90`s and I love them. After getting disgusted with how crappy PFW holds up, I won`t buy another one again. I still have BLW pads from years ago that have been used on atleast 10 vehicles and their still holding up great. You`re lucky to have a PFW last 1 vehicle without dying. If you contact Micro-Surface, I`m sure they`ll be more than happy to send you a sample to try. I sent some invitations out to a few people here a couple months back(after asking Micro-Surface for permission) and many received samples and loved them. I suggest trying them; there`s nothing to loose.

Thanks again David for introducing me to Deb at Micro.:woot:

imported_weekendwarrior
10-30-2008, 05:56 AM
I used the Black Pad for the first time last night on a test spot for a car I am experimenting on in my garage. Id does seem to hold up better than PFW. Micro`s sandpapers are also very nice. I have used their 4000 grit dry to remove overspray on an SUV, and it did very nice, and let no discernable marring (even though I polished after removing the overspray anyways).

Thanks David Fermani for the tip!!!

Todd@RUPES
10-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow I am suprised that so many people like this pad? I guess I am the odd man out!

I`m also some what shocked that you guy are getting such poor durabilty from the PFW, I wash mine after every use by spraying it with degreaser and rinising it clean and I have several that I have used on over 60 cars and they look almost identical to when I bought them.

David Fermani
10-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Holy cow - 60 cars!!! :wow:

Would you say a compound breaks down a pad faster than a polish due to the abrasives/workload characteristics?

Pats300zx
10-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks again David for introducing me to Deb at Micro.

Deb is awesome. She sent me a sample of the 4 inch black wool pads. I plan on ordering some of the 5 inchers soon...

Todd@RUPES
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
At least 60 cars (probably more). However I still have pads (foam and otherwise) with over 150 cars on them and they are for all intensive purposes like new. I wash them directly after use and it has definetely prolonged the life the pads I use.

I don`t really compound with PFW so that could have something to do with. I`m an old school wool kind of guy when it comes to compounding.