PDA

View Full Version : Best product for bug gut protection?

Glossy McGlosserton
10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I drive a white Honda Civic, and the front bumper area gets a disgusting amount of bugs and assorted yuk adhered to it. Anyone done a comparison of various sealants or other products for protection combined with ease of bug removal?

I have on hand:

Ultima sealant, Ultima detailer

Zaino Z2P, Z5, ZCS, ZAIO, Z6, Z8

Rejex

I haven`t tried the Rejex yet, but I`d have to say that Z2P and Ultima--while I love them--haven`t yielded the holy grail, which in this case would be bug guts that would glide off with a wool mitt loaded with Zaino car wash suds. Or at least take a minimum of scrubbing pressure to come off.

Thanks for any ideas!

Old Pirate
10-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I been using Zaino Z5 x 3 coats and with ZCS on my mazda front end and it`s been working very well here in Florida for me during this past season with the love bugs.

Junebug
10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Sherri, the bug season is about over - brrrr! I miss the summer aleady. My wife just got a white - blizard pearl Highlander. I tried DoDoJuice`s White Diamond and it made the front bumper cleaning the easiest I`ve seen yet. I usually hit it with AW on every other wash too.

wytstang
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I think you should split the front bumper with one side using a sealant and the other using a wax and see which one cleans up easier. Should make for a neat little test, no?

Glossy McGlosserton
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey, y`all,

Had my autopian surfing interrupted by life. Back to this thread: wytstang, or anyone else: you have a wax that you want to send me a sample of? Maybe Collinite? It`s been sooo long since I`ve used wax, but on this issue of bug guts, I think a wax may be the thing. Happy to do a test. Winter grime isn`t quite the same as bug guts, but I could continue the test into spring and summer.

I`ve returned to Autopia, June, to find DoDo Juice a big topic. You really think it`s better?

s

stiffdogg06
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I have this free stuff I got when I ordered from Autogeek. It`s called "Diamondite Bug Blocker." Has anyone used this stuff at all?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/stiffdogg06/PB030212.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/stiffdogg06/PB030214.jpg

Glossy McGlosserton
11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Weird. The instructions indicate that it should be removed within 24 hours of application. At the very bottom, it indicates "Product should be removed upon reaching your destination."

So this is a sort of physical barrier not intended to have good looks, but to just put on when you are going on a highway or some such, where bugs will impact the car at kamikaze speeds. Not just for everyday driving where you apply a product and just leave it.

Junebug
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
I have that same sample - still in the plastic it came in months ago. And yes, I think Dodojuice is that good. If you can - order one of the sample packs. I don`t think you`ll be dissappointed.

BTW- if you ever get down my way, you can have that Bug Blocker sample.

Accumulator
11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
FWIW I get *very* good bug protection from layered KSG and Collinite 476S. I get far *worse* protection from UPP and #16, though the #16 isn`t really bad. Back when I used BF sealant it wasn`t really any better than the UPP, sorta surprised me that those sealants weren`t (nearly) as good as the Collinite wax.

citizen arcane
11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
For those times when bug guts won`t slide off at wash time I recommend #471, Duragloss BR (Bug Remover.) It can be used before or after the wash without removing durable polishes.

Glossy McGlosserton
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Accumulator has been singing the praises of Collinite all these years. Seems like this is a good time to slide over to the Harbor Freight and get some. Hope they still have it.

Jimmy, I may watch for some of that pricey DoDo Juice to try. Since I only keep up the two cars and the truck and I`ve years` worth of Zaino and Ultima on hand, hard to justify anything but under $20 purchases at this point.

Is that Bug Guard stuff of any value at all? Sounds like a hassle.

KnuckleBuckett
11-06-2008, 08:12 AM
P21S takes most of the bumper bugs off for me. Anything more stubborn than that, comes off nicely with the addition of the Pinnacle Bug Removal sponge.

Same process for tar and goop.

Junebug
11-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Sherri - you can get samples of Dodojuice wax - I did, got an 8 pack on a special. A little bit goes a long way.