PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a wax i can layer please

Pages : [1] 2

93zder
10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I am currently using NXT 2.0 and am happy with the wet look and would like to continue with that theme. But add some protection to get me through the winter months when i can`t wax.

I`d like something that i can layer on as many coats as i have time for. I am currently using Mother Pure Carnauba, but would like something of higher quality and a wetter look.

Could you all suggest something that will work for me?

thanks

Garry Dean
10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
P21S is always my "go to" wax for a wet look

BigJimZ28
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
are you more worried about the "wet look"

or getting through the winter?

476 has almost as wet of a look as NXT2.0 and last 10x longer and can be layered

93zder
10-28-2008, 12:36 PM
P21S is always my "go to" wax for a wet look

Can it be layered and how is it for durability?

thanks

simplybao
10-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I`m using Collinite 885 myself. I was told it`s the same thing as 476 but smells worse. I have both and the 885 smells like a can of Raid bug spray and the 476 smells nice and fruity. I haven`t used the 476 yet so I can`t tell you how it`ll look.

The 885 on my silver Subaru looks great though. I have it layered. I have Klasse AIO underneath with 2 layers of 885 on it. After 4 weeks with it, the beading action is still nuts. I`ve never seen a wax that beads water like the 885 does. We`ll see how long before the Collinte wears out.

As far as other stuff goes. I have used Top of the Line`s Trade Secret and that stuff is really nice. It goes on really really easy and really easy to remove. The trade off is that it doesn`t last very long. In my experience, it lasts about 4 - 6 weeks then you`ll need to reapply. The shine on black is unbeatable.

I have used Pinnacle Souveran and it`s just as easy to use as the TOTL stuff, but again, it doesn`t last very long and it`s expensive. This looks great on black as well.

I have used Meg`s Gold paste wax and that stuff was junk, IMO. It didn`t go on as easy as TOTL and removing it wasn`t as easy and it lasted about as long. I still have a can of it sitting on my shelf.

I also have a can of Pinnacle XMT 180 that I have used once. It`s really easy to apply and remove but again, it only lasts about 6 weeks. The advantage is that you are supposed to be able to apply it directly in the sun. I haven`t tried that yet, but probably will next season.

And then the Klasse AIO by itself. My friend let me experiment on her car with just KAIO and I applied it 8 weeks ago. The last rain we had was 3 or 4 days ago and the water was still beading up on the paint. Add to that, I didn`t claybar the car first and her car hasn`t been washed since I applied the KAIO. To me, that`s incredible.

Now, when I say that the wax only lasts about 4 - 6 weeks, I`m talking about the water beading on the car. I`m not sure if that is an indication of whether the product is still protecting your paint or not, but I like it when the water beads. I`m a bit of a freak when it comes to waxing. In the warm months, I`m applying wax about every 3 - 4 weeks. I just like doing it and it`s pretty easy to do so I continue to do it until it gets too cold.

In short, just about any wax that you buy that doesn`t include a cleaning element can be layered. You can`t layer KAIO because it has a light chemical polish. If you go the route of KAIO, you could layer it with Klasse SG. Be aware though, KSG requires that you use very thin layers or it`s hard to remove.

93zder
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
are you more worried about the "wet look"

or getting through the winter?

476 has almost as wet of a look as NXT2.0 and last 10x longer and can be layered

I`d like to find the best of both worlds if it exists.

I dont mean to ask a dumb question, but is 476 made my Collinite? I`m assuming i would used this in place of the NXT?

Garry Dean
10-28-2008, 12:47 PM
yes, and yes. isnt that what we`re all looking for? "the best of both worlds," durability and awesome looks! good luck!

akimel
10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I have two layers of NXT on my car and am just about ready to apply a layer of Collinite 845, a liquid wax, to get me through the winter months. The Collinite products are reputed to be the most durable carnauba waxes now available. And everyone seems to agree that they all give a great shine. I understand that 915 is a bit easier to work with than the 476. Several people recommended the 915 in response to my recent query about boutique waxes.

Do check out the Collinite website and especially the FAQs: Collinite Wax Products (http://collinite.com/).

zaxjax
10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
NXT is a synethic sealant and if it gives you the wet look you like, stay with it.

Top the NXT with 845 asa topper for winter protection, it won`t do anything to hurt the NXT, just enhance it.

imported_sal329
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
FK 1000p layered then topped with P21s 1000%, FK Pink Wax or Souveran

loudog2
10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
P21s/P21s 100% are both good. Pinnicle signature series II is also great.

Accumulator
10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
93zder- One more vote for Collinite. The wax for durability in the winter: multiple applications/layers of 476S.

If you`re concerned about a solvent-action compromising the layering, just do some kind of spit-shining and/or apply one more coat of 476S after each of a series of regular washes.

simplybao- I think that fruity 476S of yours must be a new version. Kinda glad I have the old, solventy-smelling stuff myself as I actually like the old school stink of it!

93zder
10-30-2008, 05:22 AM
I think i am leaning towards the Collinite since i want durability as the winters can be pretty harsh up here with quite a bit of salt.

I would like to continue using my orbital buffer to apply the product as i`ve found it distributes it more evenly than by hand.

Seems like 845 is the only liquid where the others are paste. Is it possible to apply a paste wax with an orbital buffer? I was interested in the 915 possibly since it seems to have a longer durability.

thanks

jimmie jam
10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
i have never proven extended durability by layering. :nervous: what is the point?

93zder
10-30-2008, 08:08 AM
i have never proven extended durability by layering. :nervous: what is the point?

My point is extended protection - and is what i am hoping for. I am assuming that with more layers, there would be a `thicker` barrier therefore it would take longer to wear off.

Maybe i`m wrong?