PDA

View Full Version : Help Restoring C230K leather...

chromecarz00
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

I was recently detailing my dad`s C230 Kompressor, (white leather). Its got about 94.xxx miles and has never really been detailed so its quite a challenge. The interior is what I really was worried about. The leather has actually become a few shades darker due to dirt and what not. I used hand soap (on a tip from a fellow detailer) and water (mild mixture, not too concentrated) along with a microfiber cloth to start on the doors. What I saw after doing a complete job is that some areas were substantially lighter than others, not capturable in pictures but noticable in person. I tried going back over these darker spots multiple times, with both soap, plain water, lexol, and contentrated lexol (spray straight on leather...probably not the best idea but i was desperate) and nothing seems to be working. Any ideas? (also tried all of the above with a sponge)

Thanks.

Garry Dean
10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Try Leatherique, its expensive, but good stuff!

judyb
10-27-2008, 01:09 AM
There could be a number of reasons that this has happened.

The lighter areas may be where the finish has been removed by cleaning (this will always give a very clean appearance). Dirt over time if left will break down the finishh on the leather and this could have cleaned off with aggressive cleaning or the wrong products.

The darker areas may be caused by dye transfer which, having built up over time, cannot now be removed by the cleaning process and would require restoration.

The darker areas may be simply caused by an over build up of dirt in those areas which will need careful attention.

The important thing about leather is to keep it clean.

Leatherique is unlikely to resolve this problem.

It is difficult to resolve this problem without seeing what we are dealing with but in most cases a very light recolour with a professional restoration product would probably help. This can be hand wiped on so can be done in situ with no problem of overspray, if done now it will help prevent any further deterioration and take them back to their original colour.

Hope this helps

crystal bliss
10-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I ll use APC dillute 1:10 for a start. and i brush them with shoe brush.

milani
10-27-2008, 01:03 PM
What year is the C230? Are you sure it`s Leather? It could be MB-Tex... You might want to find out first...

chromecarz00
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
100% sure its leather, well 99.9. Its a 2005 C230 K, and i think it actually may have been agressive cleaning that has removed some of hte leather...

Ill try and get some pictures.Sorry for this noob q but what is APC?

judyb
10-28-2008, 01:15 AM
If part of the finish has been removed then the leather will not clean in those areas as well as the ones with finish which may be the cause of the patchy appearance. Finish can be replaced but the seat would need a coat of pigment first.

APC is All Purpose Cleaner and should not be used on leather unless it has been specifically tested for the job as this could be too strong and remove finsih.

milani
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Usually, MB-Tex seats have perforations in the center inserts of the seats.

CynCarvin32
10-28-2008, 11:00 PM
100% sure its leather, well 99.9. Its a 2005 C230 K, and i think it actually may have been agressive cleaning that has removed some of hte leather...

Ill try and get some pictures.Sorry for this noob q but what is APC?

Does the car have gathered leather on the door panels or is it a smooth tightly pulled style leather on the door? If you have the smooth and tightly pulled leather it is indeed a car with combo mbtext and leather. If you have gathered leather on the door it is full leather interior.

I bet it is the first case as very few C230k`s have full leather as it is pricey option. The MBtext actually wears far better and is very similar to the leather they would have used. The c class (non amg) leather is pretty cheap and actually not worth the money.

For your reference, if you have the mbtext and leather combo, the front seats have a bit of leather while the rest is text. The center sections of the seat back and bottom will be leather while the rest will be text. So the bolsters and everything other than the center "seating surface" on the front seats is mb text.

Good luck.

Use some strong cleaners on the mbtext as it is very durable. It will clean up far better than leather. That mbtext will out last the car I think. Its bullet proof!

Good luck.

chromecarz00
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
It is perforated. So I guess it is mb text...can I use lexol on it?