PDA

View Full Version : Water softeners, DI, RO. What`s the difference?

Pages : [1] 2

SuperBee364
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
This subject comes up every now and then, and yesterday I received the following PM:

"Are water softeners and DI systems the same thing? If not, the CR Spotless System is a DI system, not a water softener correct?

This AG sells a system http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html (http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html) which filters and softens the water but it uses Resin in the water softener cartridge just like the CR Spotless system. So is it a DI system or a water softener? Or are they the same thing? Very confusing."

So here`s a quick run down on the differences...

Water softeners work by exchanging calcium ions for sodium ions. Period. It`s that easy. :) The result is that the water does come out saltier. How salty? Depends on the hardness of the water you`re running through it. The harder your water, the saltier it`ll be coming out. These systems can be refreshed by soaking the media in salt water.

De-ionizing filters: work by removing calcium ions from the water. Well, it really isn`t *that* easy, but let`s just pretend that it is. No sense in getting too complicated. The advantage here is that the water is truly mineral free, and it doesn`t have any added sodium (to make white spots on your car). The disadvantage is that they can`t be refreshed (by conventional means, at least. They really can be refreshed, but it takes some nasty acids and caustic bases to do it), and the resin can be pretty expensive. This is what a CRSpotless system is.

Reverse Osmosis, or RO system: For a great explanation of RO, go check wikipedia. Let`s just say that it uses a very thin membrane to filter water down to a very, very small level. So small, that not even mineral ions are left behind. These systems are true water purifiers, and will give the highest quality (overall) water of all of the systems. How much in the way of total desolved solids (TDS or mineral content) is left depends on the specific RO system. Many RO systems can get down to 5 PPM. The higher end systems will have a DeIonizing "polishing" filter after the RO membrane to take the TDS to 0. RO systems typically waste quite a bit of water. The amount depends on how good the system is.

So there you have it. A quick and dirty rundown of the different ways of getting mineral free water.

Bert
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
This subject comes up every now and then, and yesterday I received the following PM:

"Are water softeners and DI systems the same thing? If not, the CR Spotless System is a DI system, not a water softener correct?

This AG sells a system http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html (http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html) which filters and softens the water but it uses Resin in the water softener cartridge just like the CR Spotless system. So is it a DI system or a water softener? Or are they the same thing? Very confusing."

So here`s a quick run down on the differences...

Water softeners work by exchanging calcium ions for sodium ions. Period. It`s that easy. :) The result is that the water does come out saltier. How salty? Depends on the hardness of the water you`re running through it. The harder your water, the saltier it`ll be coming out. These systems can be refreshed by soaking the media in salt water.

De-ionizing filters: work by removing calcium ions from the water. Well, it really isn`t *that* easy, but let`s just pretend that it is. No sense in getting too complicated. The advantage here is that the water is truly mineral free, and it doesn`t have any added sodium (to make white spots on your car). The disadvantage is that they can`t be refreshed (by conventional means, at least. They really can be refreshed, but it takes some nasty acids and caustic bases to do it), and the resin can be pretty expensive. This is what a CRSpotless system is.

Reverse Osmosis, or RO system: For a great explanation of RO, go check wikipedia. Let`s just say that it uses a very thin membrane to filter water down to a very, very small level. So small, that not even mineral ions are left behind. These systems are true water purifiers, and will give the highest quality (overall) water of all of the systems. How much in the way of total desolved solids (TDS or mineral content) is left depends on the specific RO system. Many RO systems can get down to 5 PPM. The higher end systems will have a DeIonizing "polishing" filter after the RO membrane to take the TDS to 0. RO systems typically waste quite a bit of water. The amount depends on how good the system is.

So there you have it. A quick and dirty rundown of the different ways of getting mineral free water.

Interesting. Watersofteners and DI systems both use Resin but not in the same way I guess. My assumption is that using a DI system such as CRSpotless, you are safe to rinse your car and let it air dry. On a water softening system you MIGHT be able to do so but probably not.

SuperBee364
10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
When I used regular water softening filters (that could be refreshed by a salt water soak), I was left with white salt stains on my car when I just let it air dry.

I have since built my own DI system, and I can let it air dry spot-free when the filters are new. I always blow dry my car, though.

Softening and DI systems do both use resin, but the *types* of resin are very different.

Bert
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
When I used regular water softening filters (that could be refreshed by a salt water soak), I was left with white salt stains on my car when I just let it air dry.

I have since built my own DI system, and I can let it air dry spot-free when the filters are new. I always blow dry my car, though.

Softening and DI systems do both use resin, but the *types* of resin are very different.

I wonder if someone who already has the Autogeek system could buy some of the replacement CRSpotless Resin and put it in their softener cartridge and get similar results as a CRSpotless system?

SuperBee364
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I wonder if someone who already has the Autogeek system could buy some of the replacement CRSpotless Resin and put it in their softener cartridge and get similar results as a CRSpotless system?

Yes, you can. It`s as easy as unscrewing the end of the filter, dumping out the old resin, and replacing it with the bulk resin sold by CRSpotless. You can also buy empty filter cartridges and fill them yourself. One huge advantage that the CRSPotless system has over DIY systems is the built in, in-line TDS meter. The meter tells you how many PPM of TDS the water has coming out of the system. Very cool. I`m going to be adding an in line TDS meter to my setup next spring.

The cart that that CRSpotless sytem uses is cool, too.

Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I`d just bite the bullet and spend the extra money on the CRSpotless high capacity system and call it good. Yes, it`s more money than a home made system, but a DIY system won`t have the total capacity (unless you spent a bunch more money on it), doesn`t have the cart, or the in line TDS meter. The high capacity CRSpotless system can take up to 3 gallons per minute, too. My DIY can barely take 1.5

ABQDetailer
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
On a side note: I saw the CR spotless system on SamsClub website just a few minutes ago.

Bert
10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, you can. It`s as easy as unscrewing the end of the filter, dumping out the old resin, and replacing it with the bulk resin sold by CRSpotless. You can also buy empty filter cartridges and fill them yourself.

If I already owned the AG unit, that is probably what I would do. You would probably have to change the resin more often than the DIW - 10 CRSpotless model but not having to buy any additional equipment would make it worth it.

One huge advantage that the CRSPotless system has over DIY systems is the built in, in-line TDS meter. The meter tells you how many PPM of TDS the water has coming out of the system. Very cool. I`m going to be adding an in line TDS meter to my setup next spring.

Can you buy one of these TDS meters at Home Depot or Lowes?

The cart that that CRSpotless sytem uses is cool, too.

It is nice but a little pricey for the upgrade - $50

Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I`d just bite the bullet and spend the extra money on the CRSpotless high capacity system and call it good. Yes, it`s more money than a home made system, but a DIY system won`t have the total capacity (unless you spent a bunch more money on it), doesn`t have the cart, or the in line TDS meter. The high capacity CRSpotless system can take up to 3 gallons per minute, too. My DIY can barely take 1.5

To increase your DIY models filter capacity, would that require adding more (or larger) cartriges?

SuperBee364
10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
If I already owned the AG unit, that is probably what I would do. You would probably have to change the resin more often than the DIW - 10 CRSpotless model but not having to buy any additional equipment would make it worth it.

Can you buy one of these TDS meters at Home Depot or Lowes?

It is nice but a little pricey for the upgrade - $50

To increase your DIY models filter capacity, would that require adding more (or larger) cartriges?

There are alot of online merchants that carry TDS meters, it`s just a matter of plumbing it into the system that`s kind of a PITA.

Using bigger cartridges that contain more resin would be better than adding more cartridges; less pressure drop.

imported_Denzil
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I just called it quits and purchased a CR myself from Costco. It`s really worth its $369.99 premium for the trouble and time involved in fabricating a DIY system. Also, if it should break, I can always exchange it. :)

ABQDetailer
10-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I just called it quits and purchased a CR myself from Costco. It`s really worth its $369.99 premium for the trouble and time involved in fabricating a DIY system. Also, if it should break, I can always exchange it. :)

Looks like the Costco version (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&search=cr%20spotless&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cr%20spotless&Ntt=cr%20spotless&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1) is beefier than the Sams version (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=374509).

Maison
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I have the CRSpotless that I bought from Costco and like it very much. But is there another source (less expensive) to buy the resins from instead of from CR?

stiffdogg06
10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Just use Millipore H2O. :2thumbs:

wascallyrabbit
10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
costco sells refills Costco - Spotless Water System Resin Refills (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC22536-ProdID11201522&pos=0&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11222975&lang=en-US)

jb1
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
The cheapest I`ve found is ordering the resin straight from CR Spotless in the 1 cubic foot drum for $195.00. It will do 3 complete refills for the DIC/W-20 or 6 times for DIC/W-10 and it`s free shipping. I`m about to place my order for one.

imported_Denzil
10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I`m thinking of purchasing my refills by the drum directly from CR, just as jb1 mentioned. I`m hoping to get a long life from my resins with the decently hard water in my area. Otherwise I`ll be looking to buy resin drums more often than I had hoped for.