PDA

View Full Version : Silver Dodge Magnum paint

Dr1zzzt
10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
...After "EXTENSIVE" research on this awesome board over the last few weeks, acquired the tools needed to finally detail my baby the correct way...here`s my question - just how hard IS Dodge`s Magnum paint??...I`m using #105 with a 4" LC PFW on a PC; while I admit I was hesitant at first, this being my FIRST ever use of any kind of compound, orbital, etc..after several minutes actual hands-on & quick YouTube updates, I took the leap...

...the swirls and RIDS are more numerous than I at first realized - the silver paint makes them more difficult to see unless in direct sunlight or under halogens, but after two passes I finally began to see some correction; not the results that I hoped for, but a definite improvement...

...these were just experimental jaunts - I`ll be back at it tomorrow to try and finish it out after a little more Autopian surfing...should I apply a bit more pressure to the PC, or attempt another run with a different graded pad?...I`m operating on a speed of 5, using three pea-sized drops and working it in small sections for about 15-20 seconds...after reading on the board earlier tonight in a post about the paint hardness of a Dodge Charger and how difficult it was to correct, I began thinking along those lines in regards to my debut detail...any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated...

Joel_MD
10-23-2008, 02:22 AM
It sounds like your process is fine. I have a Dodge, and its clear coat seems to be on the hard side but not as hard as my wife`s BMW. Your main challenge here is that the PC`s correction abilities are limited and you need to be patient and persistent. A rotary polisher is a dream come true for a problem like yours, although you do need to be careful with a rotary. Assuming you want to finish your job on the Charger without a rotary, I would kick it up to speed 6 and apply a little more pressure. Your combination of PFW and M105 should work well; I would not switch to a foam pad in this case.

Dr1zzzt
10-23-2008, 05:41 AM
...thanx for the advice - I`ll put your suggestions to the test later on today and tomorrow - I`m seeing progress, but I think this might put my corrections where I want them...more to follow...

johnbrown1500hd
10-23-2008, 05:42 AM
try m105 ultra cut compound by meguiars, works much better than you think

Joel_MD
10-23-2008, 03:27 PM
try m105 ultra cut compound by meguiars, works much better than you think

He is using Meguiar`s 105. To quote, "...I`m using #105 with a 4" LC PFW on a PC."

johnbrown1500hd
10-23-2008, 05:05 PM
i meant number 95 sry guys, my fault

johnbrown1500hd
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
what makes silver pop anyway, i heard tech wax, any thing else bro