PDA

View Full Version : I need some help!!

ISLover
10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Sunday, I wanted to try out a PFW pad and some Power Gloss using a PC on my wife`s car that has some pretty severe scratches. Never used wool before and was amazed at it`s corrective ability. However, I must not be doing something right. The finish itself wasn`t bad, it will of course need further polishing, but this combo was leaving something behind. It appears to be dried compound that is solid as a rock. I tried to polish it out with a white pad and ZPC which was going to be my next step anyway, but the ZPC only brought back the gloss and the dried compound or whatever it is remained. A rubdown with IPA got rid of most of it but not all and I induced some additional marring having to rub this stuff. Any ideas??? What am I doing wrong? I`ve never had this problem with foam pads.

I wasn`t planning on doing the whole car Sunday so I have only done a panel, trying to perfect my plan of attack for later this week. I would post some pics but I can`t, not enough posts.

Thanks

crystal bliss
10-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I think those are the compound splatter. You could remove them using IPA but it`ll take some time to perfect it or you could use clay. its ok with marring, cause you are going to the polishing step right?

ISLover
10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Yes, I will be polishing after the compound. But I`m still not convinced I`m doing it right. Searched and never found anything regarding this issue. I spritzed the wool a little to see if this would help. Should I do this?

My procedure:

Spritz the wool with water

Apply 3 small dots to the wool

Spread with the PC on 2

Work with PC on 6, about 6 passes

Spritz pad again

Finish down on PC speed 4, about 6 passes

Buff

Lots of compound left behind??:scared:

dublifecrisis
10-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I`ve never used wool on my PC, but I notice that when the pads starts to get clogged it starts leaving behind little blotches os polish. Then I know it`s time to clean the pad or switch. This happens quickly using Optimum as it`s a bit gummy.

I wonder if this is the case with what you`re experiencing using the PFW? Did it happen right away or after a few sections?

zaxjax
10-22-2008, 07:34 AM
It sounds like your to spur your pad or clean them out.

Try using less polish as well

ISLover
10-22-2008, 09:27 AM
It happened right away as I only did one panel that day to figure out my scheme for later this week.

I will try less polish but three small dots didn`t seem excessive. Thats what I have used before on regular foam without this problem.

As far as spurring goes, how do I do this. I hear you guys mention it alot but what is the proceedure? Accumulater once mentioned a dull screwdriver, I don`t have a spur tool and would have to order.

Thanks for the replys.