PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna SIP or IP for Honda paint?

Pages : [1] 2

ZoomBoy
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
What say you, detailing folk? :xyxthumbs

Greg Nichols
10-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I just did my wifes Odyssey with IP and followed by UF. Worked out great. Ceramic clear rated polishes don`t usually work well with soft paints.

wannafbody
10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
IP would be a good choice. You`ll need to follow with FP2.

KnuckleBuckett
10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
I had great luck with SIP on that paint (Civic) and finished up with 3M Ultrafina SE.

DSVWGLI
10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Depends on condition of paint and what you are trying to achieve.

stiffdogg06
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
I had great luck with SIP on that paint (Civic) and finished up with 3M Ultrafina SE.

Agreed. Did my 97 civic with great results.

ZoomBoy
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Depends on condition of paint and what you are trying to achieve.

The condition is great, minor swirls that can`t be seen unless you hit it with a spotlight or direct sunlight. Silver hides it well.

I`ve polished my car this year with SFX-2 and a UDM with an orange pad but I really should`ve gone for a more aggressive polish as it didn`t seem to get any of the deeper swirls out, etc.

I`m thinking the Menzerna IP with a LC yellow or orange pad in the spring.

DSVWGLI
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
The condition is great, minor swirls that can`t be seen unless you hit it with a spotlight or direct sunlight. Silver hides it well.

I`ve polished my car this year with SFX-2 and a UDM with an orange pad but I really should`ve gone for a more aggressive polish as it didn`t seem to get any of the deeper swirls out, etc.

If swirls are minor then maybe 106FA and a polishing pad will do the trick. I`ve had very good results with that combo. 106FA has a good amount of cut and finishes very bright. If that doesn`t do it then go SIP and finish with 106FA, 85RD or FPII. I have FPII and find 106FA to finish as good or even better with a finishing pad. 106FA is very versatile, a great polish to have.

Eisen Hulk
10-22-2008, 07:07 AM
IMHO, I would stay away from the yellow pad with the IP, especially if the paint looks as good as you`re telling us.

With my experience with Honda paint, I would start out with IP and a WHITE pad. If that isn`t doing the trick, then I`d try 106 with the white pad, then maybe step up to IP/106 w/orange, but I would stay away from the yellow all together. You could induce some pretty nasty marring in there, therefore adding an extra step that you might not necessarily want/need.

nrengle
10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
I agreen with EisenHulk, you probably won`t need to go anymore aggressive than a white pad since Honda paint is so soft... I just polished mine out about a month ago with the Wolfgang TSR and a white pad, and then finished with black pad and 85RD, and it looks spectacular. Didn`t get all the RIDS out, but I`m not too concerned with those as I am with swirls since it`s a daily driver and will see some scratches...

ZoomBoy
10-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys, I`ve deleted the yellow LC pads from my cart and went white. Hopefully a white pad + IP will fix the swirling! I couldn`t get what I wanted with an orange pad and SFX-2, so I`m thinking it was more of a polishing issue than a pad issue.

Quick question about applying the second step with a black pad, should I be applying at a lower RPM on my UDM? I usually use 5-6 for fixing scratches, etc.

SuperBee364
10-22-2008, 09:30 AM
IMHO, I would stay away from the yellow pad with the IP, especially if the paint looks as good as you`re telling us.

With my experience with Honda paint, I would start out with IP and a WHITE pad. If that isn`t doing the trick, then I`d try 106 with the white pad, then maybe step up to IP/106 w/orange, but I would stay away from the yellow all together. You could induce some pretty nasty marring in there, therefore adding an extra step that you might not necessarily want/need.

What `hulk said.

The only change I`d make is that I`d say, "I would stay away from the yellow foam pad. period. always. they suck. don`t use em." But `hulk is nicer than me, too.

If you need a cutting pad, you need a cutting pad. As such, stay away from foam. Foam is a cutting poseur. Go to wool. PFW will cut much better than yellow foam will, it`s safer, and it`ll finish down nicer. Use your yellow foam pads to even up the legs on your card playing tables. It`s much safer when used for that than it is for car polishing.

Bert
10-22-2008, 09:42 AM
What `hulk said.

The only change I`d make is that I`d say, "I would stay away from the yellow foam pad. period. always. they suck. don`t use em." But `hulk is nicer than me, too.

If you need a cutting pad, you need a cutting pad. As such, stay away from foam. Foam is a cutting poseur. Go to wool. PFW will cut much better than yellow foam will, it`s safer, and it`ll finish down nicer. Use your yellow foam pads to even up the legs on your card playing tables. It`s much safer when used for that than it is for car polishing.

If you are using a UDM, the Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool is fine so long as you use the smaller 3.5 pads. A UDM will have trouble with larger PFW`s. Do a search under thread started by Accumulator. He did a very thorough review on using the 3.5 inch pads on a DA and go pretty good results.

DSVWGLI
10-22-2008, 10:42 AM

There are time on some paint that I find the LC yellow cutting pad works far better than PFW via rotary :nixweiss. I think it`s always good to have an assortment of different pads.

SuperBee364
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
There are time on some paint that I find the LC yellow cutting pad works far better than PFW via rotary :nixweiss. I think it`s always good to have an assortment of different pads.

Bleh, not me. I`ve never seen a car yet where some flavor of wool wasn`t *always* better than yellow LC foam. Honestly, the yellow foam LC pad is about the only detailing product I`ve ever used that I truly, truly dislike. It gets waaaaaay too hot, way too easy, leaves nasty, nasty compounding marks (regardless of what polish is used, or how hard the clear is), and doesn`t cut nearly as well as wool.

But if you like it, and are able to get good results from it, that`s very cool.

It`s definitely good to have an assortment of pads. At least we agree there. I use that line on my wife everytime I place a pad order...

Some people would say that using foam instead of wool to cut is as silly as using wool instead of foam to finish. But who`d be crazy enough to do that?? ;)