PDA

View Full Version : VW Beetle, faded paint

gonz0
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
My girlfriend recently picked up a 2001 VW Beetle GLS in the `Cyber Green Metallic`. This was the color that was so popular in the `Turbonium` ads they showed around that same period of time. It seems that years of no care and sun exposure has faded the paint several shades lighter than it`s original color. The door jambs, color keyed interior pieces and underhood all show a much darker and deeper color. I`ve seen some color restoration here before although without much detail and I`m hoping that there is an option for her car as well.

I`ll get some specific shots, comparing the color difference on Tuesday but here is an example of the color. Has anyone here worked on one of these before or have experience with the color?

http://www.aiwana.com/001.jpg

I`m already planning on picking up a Flex with some 5.5" pads soon once I determine which would be the best products to go along with it. I`ll likely be using 1Z polishes with some Adam`s or Meg`s products for cleaning.

Thanks,

-Kris

eyezack87
10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
You are pretty much shot when paint underneath the clear starts to get lighter. All the polishing in the world can`t bring it back sadly. My Lexus had the same problem, so when I fully removed the swirls and oxidation, it was almost silver instead of gold -.-"

I say do your magic and enjoy the color while it lasts and make sure to protect it to help prevent further fading :xyxthumbs

This is my car btw with said problem

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/reboot870/DSCN5201-1.jpg

gonz0
10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
It`s really a shame, I suppose the clearcoat just doesn`t offer very good UV protection to the paint underneath it. She won`t own this one but for another year or so but she is trying to make the best of it while she has it.

eyezack87
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, technically anything fades overtime if its in the sun constantly. Its just a part of life I suppose :cry:

Just help prevent it with wax and stuff. That should help quite a bit :bigups

V_Eight
10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Cyber green is always horrible for fading. Always has been. The cyber green Beetle I had wasn`t as bad as some of the cars i`ve seen that look beige now!