PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax Polishing Compound....

topspin2006
10-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Is it good to use as a compound to smooth out touche-upped areas? Or should I get a fine grit rubbing compound?

Garry Dean
10-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I have used it. It is really hard to work with and cakes up really bad. I once had to use it to polish out a black enclosed trailer and it worked, but it dusts really bad and doesnt break down properly. If you can make it work the result will look good, but good luck with that.

What do you mean "touche-upped areas?"

topspin2006
10-19-2008, 12:39 AM
I am doing some touch-ups on the car. The article on paint touch-ups on Autopia says to layer thin layers of paint until the touched up area is slightly higher than the paint around it. Then you need to wet sand the area to even it out. In doing so, you will put light scratches in the paint around the touch-up. So to get rid of those, you need to finish off with a find grit rubbing compound. In theory, this should blend everything in and get rid of all the micro scratches caused by the wet sanding.

I really want to use a good quality product and am scared the TW is just not good enough. I have some Meguiars scratch remover; but it is not aggresive enough.

LouisanaJeeper
10-19-2008, 12:52 AM
the TW polishing products are a joke, get something else

bill57
10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I`ve used the TW compounds to rub out spray painted areas. The "rubbing compound" paste is pretty aggressive, but works if you need to "correct" a bad job of touch-up spraying (ie. held the rattle can too far away). The polishing compound is less aggressive, and will work if you take time to work it on and off gradually. Both products need to be followed up with finer polishes. I used Megs #2 followed by Megs #9, after the TW products, and got an acceptable finish.

Robb
10-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Id look elsewhere http://1person1million.com/img/149/r08c1006bidc/biggrin.gif

wfedwar
10-19-2008, 11:42 AM
The TW paste rubbing compound is like beach sand and wax. It will take anything off. It`s only for hand application. If you don`t have a machine, it might not be a bad 1st step, then you can follow with your Meg`s product.

topspin2006
10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I`ve decided to order some CG fine grit rubbing compound for the job.

qwertydude
10-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Use their premium polishing and rubbing compounds in the squeeze bottles. They`re much easier to use and leave a much finer finish. The premium rubbing compound is about equivalent to the old polishing compound and their polishing compound is even finer and probably equivalent to something like meguiars #2.

But as for touching up, yes you do build up the paint higher than the original, but if you`re working with metallics you want to only apply a couple coats of color and build up with clear. If you build up with color, when you end up sanding level you`ll lighten the color of the repair because you thin out the tint.

topspin2006
10-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I`m not sure I understand which product you mean by `premium`. I`m on their website now in the compounds section. They have:

CGC-1, CGC-2, CGC-3

LASER BUFF-SCRATCH & SWIRL REMOVER

SCRATCH & SWIRL BUFF-SCRATCH & SWIRL REMOVER-Body Shop Safe

FP-ULTRA FINE Final Polish Micro-Polish Pure Polish Paintwork Cleaner

Good point about not building up too much with paint. I will paint one or two layers and build up the rest with clearcoat.

mfewtrail
10-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I`m not sure I understand which product you mean by `premium`. I`m on their website now in the compounds section. They have:

These are the ones that "quertydude" was referring to:

Turtle Wax - Premium Rubbing Compound (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,23)

&

Turtle Wax - Premium Polishing Compound (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,22)