PDA

View Full Version : Newb here. How to complete a general detail.

89gt-stanger
10-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey guys. I am basically the average weekend warrior. I wash the car weekly, vacuum etc. I have a few problems though. Maybe ya`ll can help me out with them. My car is a 2003 Sonic Blue mustang GT.

WASH: The way I clean my car is the Mr. Clean sprayer, with their soap, and a Meguiars X3002 microfiber wash mitt.

INTERIOR: I vacuum all the carpet, underneath seat etc. I just cant get the "new" car smell to come back. What can I use to get a great smell?

WAX: I have waxed the car about 5 months ago with Meguiars NXT wax. Is this a good wax?

BUFF: I have tried to buff the car before, but I dont think I need to. I used M105, and I saw the paint cleaned up, but it wasn`t glossy. How do I get a nice gloss?

I have a Makita Rotary, so how can I utilize this tool to make it work for me. I know it`s a lot of ?`s, but can ya`ll help me? I`ll try ot get photos up when I get it cleaned.

Thanks!

Accumulator
10-18-2008, 11:23 AM

INTERIOR: I vacuum all the carpet, underneath seat etc. I just cant get the "new" car smell to come back. What can I use to get a great smell?

When the new car smell is gone, it`s gone. IMO nothing beats the interior simply smelling *clean*, so I`d clean it better (vacuuming is just the first step to cleaning an interior) and, once everything is clean, use something with a light pleasant smell like Meg`s Interior Quick Detailer. But it`s really all about having things perfectly clean (which can`t be that hard as I manage it even with the dog-haulers, which don`t smell like dogs). From products like Griot`s Interior Cleaner to steamers and carpet extractors, you gotta get all the dirt/soiling cleaned up.

WAX: I have waxed the car about 5 months ago with Meguiars NXT wax. Is this a good wax?

NXT is OK, but I`d apply it a lot more often than that.

BUFF: I have tried to buff the car before, but I dont think I need to. I used M105, and I saw the paint cleaned up, but it wasn`t glossy. How do I get a nice gloss?

M105 is an aggressive product that needs to be followed by a much less aggressive one. It`s like using gradually finer grits of sandpaper to sand a piece of wood. Try something like their #80.

I have a Makita Rotary, so how can I utilize this tool to make it work for me.

Rotaries are pretty easy to use for major correction, but somewhat (or *very*) tricky to use for final finishing. Check out the numerous threads here on how to use them...this is not something you`ll master in the first six (or sixteen) hours and it`s too involved a subject to answer succinctly.

For a quick intro, see if you can find the Meguiar`s video on how to correct paint with a rotary.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia! Sorry if I didn`t answer things as well as you might`ve liked (especially that part about the rotary), but some of these topics are a bit more complicated that one might expect.

89gt-stanger
10-18-2008, 12:12 PM
After deep cleaning the car, should I wax>polish, or polish>wax?

Should I apply wax by hand, or rotary?

With the #80, which pad should I use? Does the #80 dust?

Thanks.

Accumulator
10-18-2008, 04:54 PM
After deep cleaning the car, should I wax>polish, or polish>wax?

Polish then wax.

Should I apply wax by hand, or rotary?

By hand. Unless you`re the most naturally skilled rotary user in history you probably shouldn`t plan to use the rotary for the final polishing either. It`s very likely that you`ll be left with rotary-holograms, even with something mild (and prone to concealing) like the Meg`s stuff.

With the #80, which pad should I use? Does the #80 dust?

It doesn`t dust that badly unless you use way too much product. #80 works best with a polishing pad; it`s too mild for a cutting pad and it`s too heavy a product to work well with a finishing pad (IMO).

89gt-stanger
10-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Polish then wax.

By hand. Unless you`re the most naturally skilled rotary user in history you probably shouldn`t plan to use the rotary for the final polishing either. It`s very likely that you`ll be left with rotary-holograms, even with something mild (and prone to concealing) like the Meg`s stuff.

It doesn`t dust that badly unless you use way too much product. #80 works best with a polishing pad; it`s too mild for a cutting pad and it`s too heavy a product to work well with a finishing pad (IMO).

When you say final polish, you mean there is another polish after #80? How many different polishes do you use in what order? I just have a little bit of swirling, looks like spiderwebs.

Can you give me a list of what I`ll need? What pads with what polish, in what order, if you can?

Thanks a lot!

JustinL67
10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Now, I`m a newb too, but if you don`t know which order to polish or wax in, a rotary may be asking for trouble. I`m not trying to be a **** but it`s my understanding that a rotary will do more damage than good if you don`t know what you are doing.

89gt-stanger
10-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Now, I`m a newb too, but if you don`t know which order to polish or wax in, a rotary may be asking for trouble. I`m not trying to be a **** but it`s my understanding that a rotary will do more damage than good if you don`t know what you are doing.

Actually, I do know how to use the rotary. I used it(makita) for 2 years striaight in wood working. I have used it a few times with m105 on heavily oxidized paint.

The thing that bothers me about detailing is, that there is so many different polishes, waxes, sealents(sp?) that I am confused.

Accumulator
10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
When you say final polish, you mean there is another polish after #80? How many different polishes do you use in what order? I just have a little bit of swirling, looks like spiderwebs.

Can you give me a list of what I`ll need? What pads with what polish, in what order, if you can?

..Actually, I do know how to use the rotary. I used it(makita) for 2 years striaight in wood working. I have used it a few times with m105 on heavily oxidized paint.

The general idea is to use something like the M105 (IF, big "if", you need something that aggressive) with either a cutting or a polishing pad. Then something milder with a polishing pad. You might need an intermediate step in-between, I dunno for sure as I`ve never used M105 (I don`t really care for Meguiar`s polishes/compounds all that much). You might oughta search out some of the threads where people discuss M105 in detail.

I wonder if you really need the M105...maybe #83 would be aggressive enough :nixweiss

The final polishing can usually be done with the #80 on a polishing pad, but if you do it with the rotary you`re almost certainly gonna get holograms.

#80 is pretty gentle, so it almost always works OK as a final polish when used with a polishing pad. If you try to make it act even milder by using it with a finishing pad it can gum the pad up IME. And if you try to make it act more aggressive by using it with a cutting pad it doesn`t really work well either.

But IIRC a lot of people like using M105 and then 3M UltraFina Swirl Eliminator. Again, check out the threads with info on the combos you`re considering (I`m more of a 1Z and 3M PI-III user so I can only be of so much help with stuff I`m not familiar with).

Doing anything other than the initial work with a rotary takes a lot of experience (working on cars, not woodwork ;) ) and skill. I`ve used a rotary for years and I still can`t finish out 100% with it. Even Mike Phillips of Meguiar`s finishes with a random orbital and he`s been using a rotary professionally for decades. Don`t underestimate how hard this is ;)

Interesting that you used the Makita in workworking. One of the most popular random orbital polishers is the Porter Cable, which was originally designed as a finishing sander for woodworkers. I`ve used various sanders when finishing wood, but I never used a rotary for that.

89gt-stanger
10-26-2008, 12:15 PM
The general idea is to use something like the M105 (IF, big "if", you need something that aggressive) with either a cutting or a polishing pad. Then something milder with a polishing pad. You might need an intermediate step in-between, I dunno for sure as I`ve never used M105 (I don`t really care for Meguiar`s polishes/compounds all that much). You might oughta search out some of the threads where people discuss M105 in detail.

I wonder if you really need the M105...maybe #83 would be aggressive enough :nixweiss

The final polishing can usually be done with the #80 on a polishing pad, but if you do it with the rotary you`re almost certainly gonna get holograms.

#80 is pretty gentle, so it almost always works OK as a final polish when used with a polishing pad. If you try to make it act even milder by using it with a finishing pad it can gum the pad up IME. And if you try to make it act more aggressive by using it with a cutting pad it doesn`t really work well either.

But IIRC a lot of people like using M105 and then 3M UltraFina Swirl Eliminator. Again, check out the threads with info on the combos you`re considering (I`m more of a 1Z and 3M PI-III user so I can only be of so much help with stuff I`m not familiar with).

Doing anything other than the initial work with a rotary takes a lot of experience (working on cars, not woodwork ;) ) and skill. I`ve used a rotary for years and I still can`t finish out 100% with it. Even Mike Phillips of Meguiar`s finishes with a random orbital and he`s been using a rotary professionally for decades. Don`t underestimate how hard this is ;)

Interesting that you used the Makita in workworking. One of the most popular random orbital polishers is the Porter Cable, which was originally designed as a finishing sander for woodworkers. I`ve used various sanders when finishing wood, but I never used a rotary for that.

I dont think I am going to spend the extra dough to buy a DA quite yet. Which DA would you recommend?

For the heavyduty woodwork, I used the Makita, and have never had a problem. I originally bought a PC, and it took a dive real quick.:bolt

Accumulator
10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Which DA would you recommend?

Either a Flex, a UDM, or a Cyclo.