PDA

View Full Version : Rotary swirl removal on new paint

jamie327
09-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey Guys. Question for the experts out there. I had the hood on my truck re-painted black by the local GM dealer under a warranty claim (paint flaking, long story) and when I got it back, the new paint job has horrible rotary swirls in it. They`re not too noticible under normal light, but when the sun hits it right it looks really bad. I am not to excited about taking it back to the dealer to fix, and am wondering if I can do it myself. Do you think I can get them out with SSR2.5 and a Meguiars cutting pad on my PC? Or might i need to look at something stronger? And do I have to worry about doing this on new (about 2 weeks old) paint? I appreciate the help!

Beemerboy
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
You should wait for the paint to cure, that`s about 60 to 90 days....I would ask the paint shop what they say just to make sure....Polishing is what you want at this stage to remove the swirls, and nothing to agressive on that new clear coat....PB pro-polish is one that comes ot mind that will help at this stage...I`d use a polish pad with the PC....again I stress cure time on that clear is key before really attacking.

jamie327
09-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Cool...thanks for the advice. I figured as much about the cure time. I`m always very hesitant to even wash a new paint job, so I definitely won`t go near it with a polisher!

PapiJ
09-24-2005, 02:43 AM
Wait wait - Jamie if you wish to remove the swirls DO NOT wait until the paint cures any longer . The longer it cures the longer the swirls cure .
THE ONLY THING TO WORRY ABOUT is if the compound you are using is body shop safe or not .
Also you don`t need a cutting pad on new paint rsprays , only a polishing pad and the right product . As a matter of fact - dont use the cutting pad at all with the PC , meguiars themselves say dont ..
1. Get the middle grade meg`s pad + meguiars DACP #83 to remove your swirls .
2. Polish the paint with Meg`s #80 or #82 and go over again at slow speed of 2 or 3 .
3. Protect the paint with meguiar `s #5 after every weekly wash . You can not wax fresh paint until cured , but polishing it while fresh IS best .
Don`t use SSR2.5 though until the paint is cured as it contains waxes & silicones and dont use the cutting pad even then .
Yes you can wash it just do so with a super soft MF towel and dry with air if possible and waffle weave . Keep new paint clean and ESPECIALLY get bird droppings as soon as you find them . Do not use alchohol though on fresh paint either .
k ?