PDA

View Full Version : Few questions before I winter wax

Pages : [1] 2

danz24
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
This will be my FINAL waxing/washing till next year spring. So everything will be for durability!

1. I plan to use do this: RMG then 3 layers of Collinite 476s. Is this fine, or is the RMG a useless step?

2. Is it necessary to clay, and do a light polish before I apply the wax? Or can I just wash the car and put the 3 layers of the 476s? I have some protection still as my car still beads, but the last wax I used was s100.

BigJimZ28
10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
IMO skip the RMG as it could hurt the durability

do the baggie test to see if if needs clay

danz24
10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
k thanks, about the polish? Would it make any difference to do a light polish beforehand or not?

gocubbies
10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
make sure you remove the previous wax. and also allow each coat of 476 to fully cure before apply next coat. atleast 12 hours between coats. but honestly 3 coats may be over doing it. this is from the collinite web site

Super Doublecoat Auto Wax (No. 476s)

One of the finest paste type auto waxes available. Easy to apply and absolutely DETERGENT PROOF. Collinite Super Doublecoat is guaranteed to outlast and outshine any other competitive auto wax, polish or protective coating under any conceivable condition. That`s why it`s called the PERMANENT AUTO WAX. No hard rubbing or buffing... and no special applicator is required. Collinite Super Doublecoat will last a full year, even under adverse conditions. Clear coat safe.

STSInNYC
10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Cordially disagree with keepitclean. I contacted the Collinite people before I started using 476 a while back. They told me that a cure time of 45 minutes or so was fine before adding the next layer. I asked specifically about a 12 hour cure time and they said it wasn`t necessary.

I have not had problems laying 476 on over other products, just put it on over DWG for winter.

As to how many coats you need, I suppose it depends on the severity of your winter conditions, whether or not your car is garaged or sits outside, etc. I put on 3 coats but we drive a lot in tough conditions, salt, sand, winter sludge. Two coats could be fine for less difficult conditions.

gocubbies
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Cordially disagree with keepitclean. I contacted the Collinite people before I started using 476 a while back. They told me that a cure time of 45 minutes or so was fine before adding the next layer. I asked specifically about a 12 hour cure time and they said it wasn`t necessary.

I have not had problems laying 476 on over other products, just put it on over DWG for winter.

As to how many coats you need, I suppose it depends on the severity of your winter conditions, whether or not your car is garaged or sits outside, etc. I put on 3 coats but we drive a lot in tough conditions, salt, sand, winter sludge. Two coats could be fine for less difficult conditions.

applying over a glaze or sealant is ok. but topping a different wax MIGHT cause bonding issues. as for the cure time if i layer i personally wait 12 hours to make sure it is fully cured. some waxes/sealants dont need that long. it is just how i do it. and since you asked them about a 12 hour cure time you and alot of us have heard the same thing. i have 1 layer of 845 on my car and it is holding up strong after 4 months already. and 476 has a longer durability

STSInNYC
10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I went on what the Collinite people told me. A year ago, in October, I did three layers of 476, cure time 45-60 minutes between. In April the wax was beading water very nicely, despite a lot of exposure to rain, snow, salt, sand, general winter sludge.

danz24
10-15-2008, 05:14 PM
K so my plan will be to wash car with dishwashing soap (to remove wax)

dry

then put 1 coat of collinite

wait 45min

put 2nd coat of colline

done :)

btw would putting a QD (meguiars ultimate quick detail) after I finish help increase its durability, it is it an unnecessary step?

imported_MBenz
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
You could top it with a spray wax if you like. Aquawax is one such product that comes to mind.

Accumulator
10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I`d give it a quick claying. I`m pretty sure you`ll find the clay does in fact clean off a fair amount of [stuff] that woulda otherwise been trapped under the wax. IT`ll clean off any compromised wax artifiacts too (i.e., "dead wax" that the regular wash might not get).

Just do a quickie job while you wash, won`t take but a few minutes.

MCWD
10-16-2008, 01:05 PM
did I read the thread wrong? I seem to believe that you are not washing your car to next spring... I hope that I was wrong for thinking that. Clean cars are the best! haha... Don`t depend on just the wax. Best of luck to you!

93zder
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
I put 2 coats NXT 2.0 and 2 coats Mothers pure Canauba wax - with about 12-24 hours in between coats. I think i might put one or two more coats of the Carnauba.

Anyone else layer Canauba?

The Mothers stuff says it`s pure so im assuming there are no cleaners in it.

Robb
10-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I put 2 coats NXT 2.0 and 2 coats Mothers pure Canauba wax - with about 12-24 hours in between coats. I think i might put one or two more coats of the Carnauba.

Anyone else layer Canauba?

The Mothers stuff says it`s pure so im assuming there are no cleaners in it.

Ive been known to do 2 coats of Collinite http://1person1million.com/img/149/r08c1006bidc/biggrin.gif

93zder
10-20-2008, 08:13 AM
I`ve never used Collinite - is it a Canauba wax?

Accumulator
10-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I`ve never used Collinite - is it a Canauba wax?

While we call it a "carnauba wax" it`s more likely a carnauba/synthetic hybrid.