PDA

View Full Version : Engine dressing

Tassadar
06-30-2003, 12:23 PM
I have been looking around locally for a good engine dressing. Right now I am using Stoner`s MSLT, and it does a good job, but it doesnt dry out, which is NOT a good thing. Anyone have some recommendations?

NattyBumppo
06-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Poorboy`s Natural Look for a low gloss/satin look or Bold N Brite for a higher gloss look. Natural Look is completely dry to the touch in about 5-10 minutes.

Also have used Meguiars W-Dressing with pretty good results. I stopped using Meg`s Engine Kote due to problems with it drying blotchy. If you like an aerosol spray and are happy with Stoners products might want to try Trim Shine. I used that a couple of times and thought it worked well.

Of the ones I have tried I will say Megs Engine Kote and Poorboys Natural Look attract the least amount of dust. It makes sense too since they are the lowest gloss of all the ones I mentioned.

Natty

Cujo31
06-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Poorboy`s Natural Look and Bold and Brite is what I use with great results.

Tassadar
06-30-2003, 05:57 PM
I am always concerned with the things I have to apply by hand. I am NEVER able to get them into all the crevices and get them to look god, especially on older cars.

I will lay out my engine process

1. Spray with SG full strength
2. Let sit for 2-3 minutes
3. Hose off at high pressure
4. Respray stubborn areas
5. Agitate with brass brush
6. Hose off at high pressure
7. Wipe off any grime left with throw-away shop towels
8. Spray on Stoner`s MSLT

I am looking for a product that I dont have to apply by hand because I never seem to get it on there right.

NattyBumppo
06-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Bold N Brite can be sprayed and left to dry on its own. Natural Look can be sprayed on also but may require some wiping on areas where it collects. Trim Shine is also a spray and forget also. I think you`d be happy with the results you`d get from Bold N Brite.

Natty

EBPcivicsi
06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
I like to use meguiar`s #40 cut 50/50 with water. Looks great, low sheen, available locally, and at $21.00 a gallon it is hard to beat. I also use the same mixture for wheelwells.

GraniteState
06-30-2003, 10:05 PM
This is what i`v done I used no 33 magic dressing it is a water based dressing let the engine run after cleaning. blow dry with air gun and spry on from a spray bottle... just let it sit and let the engine run for another 10 - 15 min turn of and wipe off excess looks nice and dry to the touch no work just spray on and the heat from the engine evaporates any excess...

jugslinger
06-30-2003, 10:35 PM
I`ve never had a dust problem with Meg`s Engine Kote.

Tassadar
06-30-2003, 10:39 PM
I am really split between the Bold N Bright and Megs Kwik Kote. Only downside is that Natty seems to hate the Megs product.

jugslinger
06-30-2003, 10:44 PM
My experience is very limited. I`m just starting out and haven`t tried alot of different products out there. Most of the jobs I`ve done have been for friends and my own vehicles, with a few paying customers. So, I can only respect and learn from the comments and techniques used by the folks here. Learning a lot!

NattyBumppo
07-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Tassadar
I am really split between the Bold N Bright and Megs Kwik Kote. Only downside is that Natty seems to hate the Megs product.

Please please please don`t let anyone think I hate Meg`s products. Lord knows I`ve used enough Meg`s stuff over the last two years and usually achieve excellent results. Most of what you`ll find in my kits is either Poorboy`s, Meguiars or Platinum lines.

My level of dissatisfaction with Engine Kote is for two reasons;

1. You need the absolute best spray head you can find. It must produce a nice fine mist without any dripping or large droplets otherwise you`ll get blotchy spots that dry to a hard shell finish (which is what Engine Kote is supposed to do) and generally look like crap.

2. Working outdoors with the slightest wind could be a HUGE problem. Since Engine Kote dries to a durable, hard finish any overspray on body panels must be wiped off immediately !

If you decide to try the Engine Kote I would advise you also buy the Professional SPrayer from Meg`s that is specifically made for applying it. Should only set you back another 3-4 bucks and even if you decide you don`t like EK you`ll at least have a high quality sprayer for use with something else.

Bold N Brite will be a medium to high gloss look and the Megs product is a satin gloss more like 303. Either will work very well so long as you have the sprayer to do the job with the Megs product.