PDA

View Full Version : Amateur looking for a side job, a few questions and some product recommendations?

SteveO2005TSX
10-14-2008, 12:48 AM
I have some experience dealing with my own car, but definitely could use some hands on experience

I currently own:

-UDM

-Optimum Polish & Compound

-4 Star UPP

-Meguiar`s NXT Car Wash

-Meguiar`s Tire Gel Shine

-Meguiar`s Hot Rims

-Meguiar`s Interior Detailer (almost out)

-Cheapo carpet cleaner

-Meguiar`s Cleaning/Conditioning leather wipes

-Woolite/Water mix

I want to offer from a basic wash to a full interior and exterior detailing

Any recommendations on products on common issues that I`ll come across? My list is perfect for my car, but with some of these cars I see on here, I`m almost positive this won`t cut it.

I do need some pads for my UDM, any recommendations would be great.

---

A few other stupid questions

I never see anyone using Chamois on here, is there a reason for this?

Is there anyway to bring back the color of the plastic trim/rubber trim around the exterior windows?

Is there anyway to remove light scratches from Vinyl?

I was told to use silicone spray on weather stripping. It does seem to keep it clean and moist. Will this cause any harm?

When should wet sanding me done and what grit is recommended? I have all kinds of crap on my hood that claying, bug and tar remover, compounding, etc won`t remove. I`m beginning to think this is my only route. Is this safe on the clear coat? What type of pressure should be applied?

Is it safe to use mineral spirits on the paint?

Any input/recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

mrgoochio
10-14-2008, 01:30 AM
I`m pretty new too and I always wondered about woolite.. Is it the same as the laundry detergent woolite stuff I see around? I was under the impresion there`s different kinds for dark colored clothes and light etc. What kind of woolite is safe to use mixed with water? I think I have some woolite, is it safe to mix with bottled water 1:10? What do you guys use it for?

SteveO2005TSX
10-14-2008, 01:34 AM
I`m not too sure about the whole dark colored clothing and stuff and how it would effect it. There`s just the basic Woolite (the white bottle), just avoid the ones with bleach. I use it to clean the leather between conditioning. Works great and smells good to boot

Mark77
10-14-2008, 02:48 AM
I am no pro either, but I have done my own, friends and families car for maybe 10 years.

-I don`t have a UDM so I can`t comment on that, seems like many like it and it seems to do an alright job.

-What do you use to wash with? Washing is pretty important since this is where most marring comes from if done the wrong way.

-Drying is also an important step, and a WWMF is so much more absorbent than a chamois. And if some dirt is left the chamois will leave scratches easier than a WWMF.

-I would also recommend a good APC that can be used for anything from wheel wells to carpets and plastic. I have Meguiars APC and cut it 10:1 in a spray bottle.

- For making a full detail you might want to get an extractor and more pads and polishes(won`t get in to this)

-Read some treads in C&B there are alot of useful tips on products and methods.

SteveO2005TSX
10-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Currently washing with Meguiars NXT car wash. I think I`m going to start doing the no rinse thing and pick up some Optimum No Rinse.

I have been blow drying my car as of late and using a chamois on the spots that the blower misses or wasn`t effective on (glass), but was strongly considering a waffle weave. That`s one that`s gotta go on my list.

Wouldn`t woolite be classified as an APC?

What exactly is an extractor?

Thanks

Mark77
10-14-2008, 03:15 AM
NXT wash is good I think, ONR also if the car isn`t too dirty.

I am not sure about Woolite, we don`t have it here, is it for automotive use? I have use other APCs as well and I just like Megs the best.

An extractor is a device for cleaning cloth seats, carpet and mats. Basically blows out water and sucks in again. If you don`t have one it is pretty hard to get the APC and dirt out of the fabric when you scrub it. You will be amazed at how dirty the water gets from something that might look pretty clean to begin with.

SteveO2005TSX
10-14-2008, 03:25 AM
wow, those extractors have a nice little price tag to go along with them.

Woolite is just a detergent and I know most people around here are using it as an APC. I`m pretty sure it`s just about the same thing as the Meguiar`s version

BlkSapphire
10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I would not use mineral spirits on the paint unless my goal was to strip the paint off the metal. Mineral spirits are similar to paint thinners and they are going to be quite harsh on a nice coat of paint.

Silicone spray on rubber and vinyl has its proponents and detractors. What I don`t like about it is that silicones get on the paint and are nearly impossible to remove. Wherever they touch, they spoil the ability of your wax or sealant to adhere to the surface. They are poison to anything requiring adherence, such as adhesives or LSPs, because they have nearly infinite capacity to wet surfaces and are basically immune to detergents and soaps.

Mark77
10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Only problem about silicone that I have heard of is that it might casue problems if you do a repaint. But alot of detailing products have silicone in them, so I am not sure where to draw the line on what to use and how much?