PDA

View Full Version : Can I fix this burn through??

reggie11
10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Hello,

I have burned through my paint (in two spots) trying to do some touch up work. I didn`t realize how easy it was to do when using 3000 grit paper. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if I can fix this.

My first thought was to rough it up a little with some heavier grit sand paper and fill it in using DR Colorchip along with the rest of my small scratches. I am not sure if this will work but I figured if I made it a little rougher I could treat it like a normal chip or scratch. Let me know if my thinking is dumb here!

I was also thinking I could have a body shop respray and blend those two areas but I know that will be expensive so I was hoping the above method might work!

Also I want to thank this forum for helping me find a great way to get the globs of touch up paint I had on my car from my "attempt" to fill in some chips and scratches. Lacquer thinner worked perfect and didn`t affect my clear coat at all. I used it with some Q-tips and it came off really easy and it had been on the car for months.

Pics are below. Sorry they aren`t the best quality.

reggie1patriots - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/reggie1patriots/)

reggie11
10-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Over 100 views on this thread and no one has any thoughts??

I would appreciate any and all advice!!:help:

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2008, 06:43 AM
I`m sorry, I really can`t tell what I`m looking at in the pictures. All I can see is a blurry paint chip (I think), not any burn thru or sand thru.

zaxjax
10-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I really can`t see it either

reggie11
10-14-2008, 06:46 AM
I will take some new pics tonight and see if I can get a clearer pic.

Eliot Ness
10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
As someone mentioned in your other thread (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/111767-calling-all-auto-body-painters-need-your-help.html) about this if you want it done right find a good body shop or touch-up man.

Note that I have never used the Dr. ColorChip system but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, read some Dr. ColorChip reviews, and have looked at their website. In their FAQ`s it states the system is mainly for chips but might work on some scratches. I really think their system is geared toward road rash type of small chips.

If you really want to tackle this yourself below are some links to inspire you, but remember that it takes a lot of practice to get this right and not look worse than leaving it alone after polishing and waxing/sealing:

Chip repair...in three simple weeks! - Autopia.org (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/43937-chip-repair-three-simple-weeks.html)

A small "how-to" on chip repair/wetsanding + spring cleaning (black G35) (56k = owie) - Autopia.org (http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/70028-small-how-chip-repair-wetsanding-spring-cleaning-black-g35-56k-owie.html)

It`s hard to tell how large this is in your pictures but if it`s too big for a good brush touch-up that leaves you with the airbrush method that Brad B. used in the first thread. That method will involve purchasing or borrowing some equipment (airbrush and small compressor) if you don`t already have them. Also be prepared to do a lot of practice and mixing to get things to look at least decent. This is the kind of thing that some folks take to and enjoy while others tear their hair out when they can`t get an instant fix.

If you tackle this yourself be sure to take pictures to show us the progress.

reggie11
10-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I appreciate the links and advice. I know I am asking some similar questions as in my previous post but I have removed all the old touch up paint that I had applied earlier so my mistake is a little easier to see now.

Most of my chips are really small except for a small keying scratch so I am hoping Dr Colorchip will work. I will at least try it and see how it goes. I will be sure to take pictures before and after. If I do decided to tackle the burn through on my own I will make sure to document my progress.

Thanks