PDA

View Full Version : Bad batch of Collinite 885

STSInNYC
10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
This summer I bought a can of FleetWax 885 from eBay seller "stephmac". Her seller rep was good and I needed more 476/885 for fall/winter waxing. Pulled it out today to do the winter prep and it`s a disaster. I`ve been using Collinite for a while, know to apply it thin, have done so with success, but this batch is awful. Dried very quickly hard as nails. No way to get it off by hand as I have done in the past. Two passes around the car with the power buffer with a strong bonnet, still a lot of wax on the car.

I continue to believe that Collinite makes very good products from recent experience. But be aware that there is some bad stuff out there, at least on eBay.

BigAl3
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
yeah, i try to buy it in person if possible so i can open and look at the paste before buying it (you take a risk buying it online if you aren`t familiar with the seller or know if they will guarantee the product(s) they are selling). otherwise if it`s from a reputable source like AG, ExcelDetail, and so forth.. i don`t really worry about it because i know they will back their products with no hassle...

bwalker25
10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
agreed I buy all my collinite from AG or harbor freight. harbor freight if I need it right away, and AG if I want it in 2 days....

STSInNYC
10-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Don`t recognize the acronym...what store/seller is "AG"?

Thanks.

BigAl3
10-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Don`t recognize the acronym...what store/seller is "AG"?

Thanks.

Autogeek.net one of our forum sponors...

Accumulator
10-13-2008, 11:09 AM
This summer I bought a can of FleetWax 885 ...and it`s a disaster....this batch is awful..

I`d send it to Collinite. Seriously...I wouldn`t expect (or even ask) them to replace it or anything, but I`d ver *VERY* interested to hear what they say about it. Maybe I`m just goofy, but if it were mine I`d gladly pay the shipping to find out what`s up with it.

Way2SSlow
10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Maybe I`m just goofy, but if it were mine I`d gladly pay the shipping to find out what`s up with it.

You ARE goofy, but I`d call Collinite as well. :D

pingable
10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Somewhat OT but this is the reason why I don`t even purchase Zaino from a dealer who is only a miles drive away from me.

I don`t know how old the product is or in what storage conditions it was....

Especially with chemicals, I would rather purchase from a dealer who has a better turnaround on product, IMO, even if the price was a bit higher. Then again, DD and AG seem to be my usual go2spots, and across the board, prices are competative...

STSInNYC
10-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Worked with it again today, wanted to be sure. Went better, used an extra damp cloth, applied as thinly as I could, barely on. Still dried faster than last batch I had. Guess I can manage this batch if used very carefully. Not as easy ast last batch. Oh well...

GBSLambo
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I have purchased some 915 on ebay without any problems.

wfedwar
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Just got my 915 from her today. No problems.