PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9 vs. Taurus 24/7 Pro?

GlossyTundra
10-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Ruger SR9 9MM 17R Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $398.00 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_75/products_id/52387)

vs.

Taurus 24/7-9SSP17 9MM PRO HEINIE SS for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $354.00 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_495/products_id/19788)

Visited a few gun shops, been doin some research and have came up with these 2 for my 9mm Semi-Auto choices. I didnt like the feel of the Glocks/Sig/XD/HK, but the Ruger and Taurus fit perfectly in my hand. Both seem to have a stellar reliability rating and seem to be a crowd favorite. Only difference seems to be about $50 or so....

Just on the basis of a simple to use, 9mm Semi for range shooting and eventual CCW (only in my truck, not to carry on my person), what do yall think?

Good choices?

fbirdquik6
10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
the sr9`s have already been recalled so while i think they are very nice guns, id give them alittle time to finish working any other bugs out. the taurus im not that familiar with although the company makes a good quality gun for a great value.

working outside of the list of guns you didnt like the feel of, have you tried out the Smith M&P`s? they are a very nice product. and withing the same catagory of full size 9mm`s that you seem to be interested in, have you checked out beretta`s? the 92 is an unbelievable 9mm thats been battle proven however it isnt a polymer pistol like the ones you seem to be interested in

Way2SSlow
10-13-2008, 08:50 AM
the sr9`s have already been recalled so while i think they are very nice guns, id give them alittle time to finish working any other bugs out. the taurus im not that familiar with although the company makes a good quality gun for a great value.

working outside of the list of guns you didnt like the feel of, have you tried out the Smith M&P`s? they are a very nice product. and withing the same catagory of full size 9mm`s that you seem to be interested in, have you checked out beretta`s? the 92 is an unbelievable 9mm thats been battle proven however it isnt a polymer pistol like the ones you seem to be interested in

Ruger is doing a very good job of handling that. I think they`re sending extra mags back with the gun as well. I wouldn`t hesitate to buy the Ruger if it`s what you like. If the Glocks arent working for ya, you can also check out the S&W M&P line. They feel really nice in the hand and they shoot pretty well. The backstrap is adjustable to fit your liking. I have no experience with the Ruger or the Taurus, but I`d suggest you get whichever one you shoot best. I`m sure you can find a range that will rent you either of those firearms to try out. If not, hang out at the range enough, and you`ll probably find someone that has either or and will let you put a few rounds through it.

JasonC8301
10-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Not extra mags but a single free mag for the trouble. The turn around time was about 3 weeks in total from the time the call was placed to Ruger about the defective pistol to when the work was actually done and the gun was back in hand. They do have a dedicated line for the SR9 recall though. I hate the safety on the SR9, small little knob and its a pain to engage and disengage because sometimes my thumb`s skin gets caught between it and the frame/slide.

I have had to use Taurus customer service on a few occasions and most of the time they were good, had a few bad apples but a call back to another CS agent fixed that issue (mainly the PT111 Pro and PT92 series.) It was weird to have a customer tell me his pistol was firing in burst mode (PT111.)

The price of both pistols are in the same range as is the craftsmanship of the guns. They are cheap in my opinion. Not as cheap as say a Hi-point or Jennings but not much better. I would not trust my life on any pistols produced by either of these companies. That being said I don`t even trust my ~$1200 Kimber 1911 with my life. That gun shoots accurately but is tempermental about feeding and extraction. It might as well be a rock to be thrown in a gun fight, an expensive rock at that.

Feeling a gun is a bit different from actually shooting it. Just picking up a gun and handling only counts for part of my opinion, shooting it makes up for almost the rest of it. Glocks/Sig/SA/HK, those are pretty much some of the big gun companies.

Glock grip angle is pretty much the same throughout the line. The same can be said about the Sig P series as well as the XD series.

The XD-M from Springfield Armory is going to be released soon and that has a 19+1 capacity. I have shot the XD-M about 5 months ago at a dealers pre-release show and found it to be a decent pistol. The grip angle was a little bit different than an XD`s but the asthetics of the XD-M didn`t please me at first until I shot it. I was willing to buy the sample piece right then and there but that couldn`t happen due to the pistols being demos.

the HK`s vary across their lines. I love the USP series but don`t care much for the P30/P2000 series of their pistols. Their Mk23 SOCOM pistol is freggin huge but shoots nicely at a rather high price tag for a plastic gun.

I didn`t have an issue with Sig feel but when actually firing it, my finger rested on the slide catch lever so after the last round was fired the slide doesn`t lock back on me. Also Sig customer service is a bit lacking because the general vibe I get from them is "why are you bothering us" type of deal.

fbirdquik6 - like what he said, give the Beretta 92 a try. Its a big gun and the safety goes up instead of down which I find not ergonomically friendly for a weapon.

GlossyTundra
10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I lol`d at the HiPoint remark. I actually held a Hi Point C9 today, and found it to be a REALLY decent gun for the price. I`m not looking into the same class as a 1911 Kimber, just a decent gun that I can play with.

That Hi Point is hard to argue with for $149.99. Reviews i`ve read say it`s as accurate and reliable as any gun on the market.

JasonC8301
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I will not fault Hi Point and their customer service because their customer service is excellent. Got any problems, send it in and they will repair it and have it back in about a week along with some free mags (2 of em.) Their carbines take a liking and keep on ticking. The Ruger carbines (PC series were 5X more expensive but lasted a month longer than the Hi Points.)

The guns at that price work but quality suffers. I would rather spend $350 more on a Glock because I "know" it will work and keep working. Like anything mechanical though any firearm if fired enough, not cared for, or just plain luck of the Murphy`s Law, will break. I have broken and dealt with many handguns from all manufacturers that had issues (yes even Glocks, Wilson Combats, and Les Baers...) The chances of a Glock breaking in my opinion is slimmer because there is a reason why Hi Points are so cheap and are the preferred weapon of criminals in NYC, because just that it is cheap. In this category of firearms you usually get what you pay for within reason.

It may seem nuts but my $1200 Kimber is going to see about $700-$800 worth of gunsmithing from the folks at Wilson Combat in a few short months. It will be primarily a range gun with the ability to also go into combat (as in I don`t want a gun so tight on tolerances that it will jam at the sight of sand.)

I can drive a little POS Geo Metro or Hyundai Rio but do I? Nope....Call it the snob in me but I want a car that will hold me and my guns/ammo without bottoming out.

Way2SSlow
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I lol`d at the HiPoint remark. I actually held a Hi Point C9 today, and found it to be a REALLY decent gun for the price. I`m not looking into the same class as a 1911 Kimber, just a decent gun that I can play with.

That Hi Point is hard to argue with for $149.99. Reviews i`ve read say it`s as accurate and reliable as any gun on the market.

I guess people like the Hi Point Carbine, but like anything else.....with guns, you get what you pay for. To me, the Hi Point is not something I`d ever want. It looks like a power drill, feels top heavy, and I just dont trust it.

GlossyTundra
10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, that is all true lol.

I`m still going to stick with the 24/7 or the SR9, but I swear the $140 price tag is tempting. I could get a 9mm, a 22 rifle (that I have been wanting) and about 500 rounds of ammo each for less than the 24/7 lol.

Hi Point aside, what would yall suggest in the sub $500 price range. I hate the way the Glocks feel, so those are out.

fbirdquik6
10-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that is all true lol.

I`m still going to stick with the 24/7 or the SR9, but I swear the $140 price tag is tempting. I could get a 9mm, a 22 rifle (that I have been wanting) and about 500 rounds of ammo each for less than the 24/7 lol.

Hi Point aside, what would yall suggest in the sub $500 price range. I hate the way the Glocks feel, so those are out.

berretta 92 or m&p.

miahman98
10-13-2008, 09:46 PM
For what its worth, every Taurus I have used has been superb. I’ve only shot their revolvers but the quality was top notch. I think I’m going to pickup the Judge for home protection. Just awesome. Taurus Judge Ultralight 410/45C 3" Barrel 5rd Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $464.00 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_494/products_id/47933)

Stay safe.

fbirdquik6
10-14-2008, 06:48 AM
good luck theyve been out of stock since they hit the market, and anyone who has one for sale has it market up to about $650

Accumulator
10-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Just make sure you actually *shoot* it before you buy. As noted, handling it and firing it are two different things.

I myself simply hate the trigger pull on most DA-only autos (don`t like `em on SA/DA autos either), it doesn`t work nearly as well for me as a DA revolver let alone a SA-only auto. Make sure you can hit something if you buy that Ruger, your shots might all be low-right.

..[on some of these pieces].. the safety goes up instead of down which I find not ergonomically friendly for a weapon.

Yeah, "up for OFF" sucks IMO. Not the sort of thing you might do instinctively under extreme stress IMO.

But of course with a DA auto you don`t really *NEED* the safety unless you want to render the gun inop in case it falls into the wrong hands (might take a few seconds for an unfamiliar user to figure it out, this has saved a few LEOs).

wytstang
10-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I have a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro .40 and it has jammed once after 214 rounds back to back (the 215th jammed). Solid gun for me and well balanced. My wife is issued a Beretta 9 and hates it and much prefers my Taurus hands down.