PDA

View Full Version : Making mobile detailing a legit eco friendly business

Pages : [1] 2

MCWD
10-11-2008, 09:44 AM
As some of you may have encountered or learned, not all products are safe for the the environment. I myself have made some major strides in becoming more aware of my products and their effects on not only the car and myslef, but on the environment. Additionally, I have been monitoring my water usage, disposal of product containers, etc. Making sure to be an active memeber in the car wash industry to know what is availble for use, and self education has been a vital part of my business. I am sure many of you find yourself running through the same steps, but I feel that it will benefit all of us once we are able to compile a list of things that we may do to make our industry have a better reputation and provide safer experience to all of us. Please provide any input that you can so that we may all benefit.:thx

reparebrise
10-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Tim /Jason

Great iniative, making detailing safe for all involved is important. I am a large supporter and innovator in terms of being ecologicaly friendly in my various businesses. In my detialing opperations(fixed) we use more water in the washrooms that we do detailing cars. Using what we consider to be the best available technologies(which are constantly evoloving) and imparting a sense of purpose in our technicians we are able to make detialing not only green, but fun and profitable. Going green of eco frindly means reducing what you can, meaning reducing water usage, reducing chemical usage, and reducing waste, but like everting in life there is an equal and opposite reaction, so by reducing these items the oppsiste reaction is increased profit, increased speed, and increased fun.

Many detailers(and other industries) are scared of change, and with reason, it`s a natural reaction.

Follow the link below to a few articles I had the pleasure of writing with 2 other passionate detailers who see the advantages of going green. These articles will probably answer some of your questions and hopefully raise some more.

Eco Auto Detailing Articles - Resources for going green in your auto detailing business (http://mobileworks.com/Eco-Detailing-Information.html)

MCWD
10-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the reply!

Shawn F.
10-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Yvan is a very smart guy when it comes to eco detailing. He is the one that turned me onto using ONR and going green or at least trying to. I have never cared for eco friendly detailing but after talking to him about it, he brings up great points. You have to have an open mind for it though and just try it out. Some will like it and some will not but if you try it then that`s all that matters. I seen some bash him and other eco friendly detailers saying that you cannot replace water wash solutions and a pressure washer. Well I have seen it done and have done it myself so I know it`s possible to replace a pressure washer and heaps of water. I still use a pressure washer and water on my very dirty jobs though but if there is a semi clean vehicle that needs a wash then I use ONR and very little chemicals. Another way to lessen the use of chemicals is a steam cleaner. You can do the interior with a vapor steamer and eliminate the chemicals. Doing all of this is a great way to help sell your services too.

Waterless_Touch
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
This is great to hear!! It is truly amazing to see other detailers trying to change and become more environmentally conscious. Even though I haven`t officially launched my business, I do expect resistance from the surrounding competition. I will welcome it head on and prove that going green is not a fad, but our future, doesn`t matter what industry :heelclick

Simon

Robb
10-19-2008, 06:36 PM
It`s great to see that more and more people are going green http://1person1million.com/img/149/r08c1006bidc/biggrin.gif

reparebrise
10-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Shawn

Thanks for the kind words, and congratulations for moving forward.

Many more detailers are going eco friendly than one might think. I recieve many PM`s, e-mails and phone calls regarding going green. As Simon eluded to, these same detailers who are going green, are also afraid of peer pressure, and do not post on an open forum that they sometimes do not polute while detialing, as if it`s a dark little dirty secret.

So congratulations to all that openly admit to being a tree hugger, be proud, you have nothing to be afraid of.

In the near future you will have an advance on those who have refused to progress, as unfortunalty detailers are an easy target for municipal law makers.

Please continue to be pro-active, and even attend some council meetings, when the topic of water conservation comes up, let them know that detailers are visible, but not always the problem.

Relaited
10-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Nice to see a conversation about Eco Detailing. Agree with Yvan, I am getting more and more contacts about how to go green, etc.

I am in So California, and soon, it will not be a choice, but a necessity. I think a big and easy part of going green is to use less water and control it. With a state of drought and the new State Water Control Board will reissue the NPDES permit, and make controlling run off a more stringent requirement.

Good Luck to all,

-jim

MCWD
10-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Aside from the positive impact you make on the environment, lets not forget ourselves. I truly believe that all of the harmful chemicals on my skin and breathing them takes a toll on the body. No matter what precautions I had been taking there was going to be a negative effect because of my continious exposure. Maybe people see us as tree huggers, but then again how many things have been viewed as fine to use in the past, but now with the knowledge about the adverse side-effects they have been regulated? Thank you for providing interesting feedback to this thread and hopefully all of you will be able to learn something new. With that said you should be able to enjoy a much safer and cleaner way to address your car care needs. Aside from links that have been already been provided in this section of Autopia, please post any interesting links regarding green car care so that we may all be aware of what is out there. Many thanks guys!

Relaited
10-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Hello,

Hello MCWD, not sure if Jason or Tim posts. Thanks for thanks the time. Not many venues were those passionate about Eco Detailing can come and share with like minded folks, without dealing with the negative energy that often follows.

I visited your website. I like that you promote Eco Detailing on your home page ... how is that received? I get mixed reactions from my customers.

I am in So Cal, grew up in Boston. When I talk to several of the East Coast guys, they do not focus on reduction of water, capture and proper discharge. California you cannot avoid it.

In viewing your gallery, I see lots of wet ground around the beautiful vehicles.

How do you clean a car? Are there requirement to use wash capture mats, etc, or do most in your area just wash away?

-jim

MCWD
10-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Hello,

Hello MCWD, not sure if Jason or Tim posts. Thanks for thanks the time. Not many venues were those passionate about Eco Detailing can come and share with like minded folks, without dealing with the negative energy that often follows.

I visited your website. I like that you promote Eco Detailing on your home page ... how is that received? I get mixed reactions from my customers.

I am in So Cal, grew up in Boston. When I talk to several of the East Coast guys, they do not focus on reduction of water, capture and proper discharge. California you cannot avoid it.

In viewing your gallery, I see lots of wet ground around the beautiful vehicles.

How do you clean a car? Are there requirement to use wash capture mats, etc, or do most in your area just wash away?

-jim

I have to say that most of my customers were more impressed about my concern to be compliant and a legit mobile business more than anything. Obviously, there are benefits for everyone in going green, but most of my competition has been cash only/ no insurance guys. I have laid the proper foundation in getting my business known, always focusing on quality, and I continue to focus on improving my results. Cali has always been ahead of the game when it comes to the environment, and as a concerned business owner, I maintain a close eye on what is taking place in the west coast. There were a few officials that had spoken to me about my operation which drove me to decide that green is the only feasible option. Whatever you do ultimately has its consequences when its not done right, and I truly do not want to find myself in a bad spot with not focusing on my requirements as a business operator. This September is when I went completely green with my services, so some of my pictures in the photo gallery are from months prior tot he changes. Nice observation with seeing the ground wet. A photographer once told me that a wet ground is a must when photographing a vehicle because it makes the picture more attractive. I will most likely wet the ground with fresh water when doing photoshoots for that reason, but during my services I do not let more than 2 gallons of water hit the ground. From researching through this site, I have found that using ONR would be very good for my business. I still try new things to make sure that I am staying on top of my game, but ONR has provided a great tool to not have the headaches of all the very expensive alternatives such as reclaim mats, etc. Thanks for the interest in my thread.

Stay well,

Jason

:up

beachcities
10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
In the big picture the small amount of pollutants that mobile detailing produces may not be very significant. However, with all the "green" hype in california these past two years, it makes sense to market your mobile business to capitalize off this- I care about the enivironment and all, but in reality, how can I use this to put more dollars in my pocket? I use a washmat, which collects all the runoff water, and use the shopvac to collect it. As far as being legit, I have a business license in the town i operate in. I think that it is important to consider how the chemicals will affect employees. Besides, being able to speak fluently about the products you use is very impressive to customers.

MCWD
10-27-2008, 11:41 PM
In the big picture the small amount of pollutants that mobile detailing produces may not be very significant. However, with all the "green" hype in california these past two years, it makes sense to market your mobile business to capitalize off this- I care about the enivironment and all, but in reality, how can I use this to put more dollars in my pocket? I use a washmat, which collects all the runoff water, and use the shopvac to collect it. As far as being legit, I have a business license in the town i operate in. I think that it is important to consider how the chemicals will affect employees. Besides, being able to speak fluently about the products you use is very impressive to customers.

People will def argue about whether there are significant pollutants discharged when cleaning vehicles, but local municipalities have suggested that I change my ways from the traditional washing methods to avoid fining. I am sure that a relatively clean car verses cleaning a tractor trailer, there will be way less harmful runoff, but regardless I don`t want a negative image in my community. I would much rather be known for being the guy who charges more, is anal about complying with local and state reguations, and does a great job, rather than have a fly by night until I get caught reputation. My philosophy is not how I will have this make more money, but how can I do things right. Like most things, when you do things well, and you do it right you get recognized. Making sure that all of my products are safe for the users has been my #1 concern. Not only am I happy to not have to breath in harsh wheel acids and whatnot, but employees will be happy to see that I am taking steps to make our business better. I feel that this business has gained much respect by being pro-active, and we are continuing to take it to the next level. As I am constantly improving my marketing and services offered, I have grown consistantly over the many years. I wish you luck in continuing your business! :usa

Relaited
10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
I was contacted by anotyher City on Orange County yesterday. They are interested in a Charity Car Wash Fundraiser, and they were also writing the Berst Management Practices.

More and more Cities are increasing the standards, encouraging reduction of water usage and mandating proper control of waste water. That, in my opinion, is a big step towards being a darker shade of green!

No more Bucket & Hosey operators in 2009!

-jim

Superior Shine
12-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Aside from the positive impact you make on the environment, lets not forget ourselves. I truly believe that all of the harmful chemicals on my skin and breathing them takes a toll on the body. No matter what precautions I had been taking there was going to be a negative effect because of my continious exposure. Maybe people see us as tree huggers, but then again how many things have been viewed as fine to use in the past, but now with the knowledge about the adverse side-effects they have been regulated? Thank you for providing interesting feedback to this thread and hopefully all of you will be able to learn something new. With that said you should be able to enjoy a much safer and cleaner way to address your car care needs. Aside from links that have been already been provided in this section of Autopia, please post any interesting links regarding green car care so that we may all be aware of what is out there. Many thanks guys!

I am a 30 year experiment Rod. This stuff (detaling products) have been on my hands, in my eyes, in my mouth, breathing it, etc.... So far so good. :scared: